GMC Truck Forum banner

2007+ Silverado/Sierra Door Handle Install

276K views 185 replies 122 participants last post by  Peter land 
#1 · (Edited)
Tonight I installed painted door handles on my 2007 NBS truck. I wanted to take some photos of the install and write a how-to. The following instructions will give you a basic idea and understanding of how to install new door handles on your 2007+ Silverado, Sierra, Yukon, Tahoe, etc.

The reason for the work is to remove the stock handle and replace it with a nice painted piece.

The tools required for the install are very basic. You will need a 10 mm socket, extension, and small ratchet to fit in the small places. I also had a small screwdriver to help me pop out a few panels and a lighted pick up tool to make things easier when working inside of the door.

First, pop out the small piece located behind the grab handle:

Two 10 mm bolts are behind the small piece removed from behind the grab handle:

Next you will need to pop off the trim piece on the second grab handle. There is a small notch on the bottom which will allow you to gently pry it off.

There is another trim panel behind the inner door handle. Pry it off gently being careful not to damage the trim piece or the plastic door panel.

There are two additional bolts located behind the second grab handle.

Remove the bolts and lift the second grab handle away from the door. Removing the area holding the door switches is not necessary on the new body style trucks.

Pop off the small triangular trim piece in front of the mirror and lay to the side.

Next, you will need to remove the piece located on top of the manual lock mechanism. Gently pry the small square open on front of it. This will release the plastic trim piece and you can lift it off of the rod.

Next, you will need to pull the door panel back. The new body style trucks use clips that pop into place unlike the old body style trucks which had far fewer pieces to break. Be extra careful when removing the clips so as not to break them.

Here you can see the door panel is loose from the door. It is not necessary to remove the door panel entirely. Doing so will require additional work to remove the inner door handle mechanism.

Next, remove the lower rubber piece to gain access to the 10 mm bolts which hold the door handle in place.

Use a socket extension to reach the 10 mm bolt and loosen. You can reach under the door panel and remove it with your fingers so as not to drop it down into the door.

After both bolts are removed you can slide the handle out and remove the metal rod connecting the handle to the door.

After the handle is removed you will need to remove the lock from your stock handle and put it in your new handle. To remove the lock from the handle simply unclip the stock one and swap it over.

Reconnect the metal rod and lock mechanism then reinstall the two 10 mm bolts and your handle is now installed. Make sure to check to lock mechanism at this time so you don't have to redo work later if you find out it doesn't work correctly or is binding.

Don't forget to reinstall the rubber grommet.

Hang the door at the top first so it fits into place correctly.

There are two clips that must align correctly behind the grab handle. I chose to put a small piece of tape on each clip as they are prone to moving around and the last thing you want to do is to have to remove the door panel again.

Reinstall the 10 mm bolts and reinstall all of the trim pieces. Check for any rattles or lose points in the door. You have now done with the install.

Final results after a quick wash:

If your truck needs to be cleaned, as mine did, it is wise to install the handles first as you are likely to get a few fingerprints on your truck. Another option would be to put some painter's tape around the door handle area to protect it from any scratches or nicks.

Enjoy!

See less See more
#21 ·
Man I so thought this install would be a snap I am putting Chrome ones on door I could have sworn the handles were working properly before I put back together the front left door So i closed the door the freaking hing or some thing came loose now I cant open door you guys have any idea how I can open door O and inside handle isnt working either..any help would be appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.