GMC Truck Forum banner

198? K20 Build

15K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  USMC1188 
#1 ·
Me and my buddy bought a 1986 Chevy K20 about 2 years ago while I was away with the Marine Corps to build up as a Competition Sled Puller. After doing some research, we decided that it was going to be WAY to expensive to do that under our budget. SOOO... we decided to just build a BA truck we could go play in the mud, go fast, and look good in a car show. SO the current plan is to put a new body on it (buying a 84 body for $700), painting it all up, throwing a 6" lift on it with 35" powered by a nasty 383.

Here are some pictures of everything so far, it is just about completly torn down, ready for sandblasting and paint, so the reassembly can begin!

When we bought it:

Under the hood:

How it sat for practically 2 years while I was away:

Started tearing it down:

I got home permanently this past July and things really got rolling:

All the work was wearing me out...

See less See more
#2 ·
Sorry, TONS of pics...

Started dropping the Drivetrain

Cool angle

Time to pull the engine:

Decided to tear down the engine from there and go back to the truck later on. After running the numbers on the block, we found out we had a ZZ4 block with a bunch of other crap thrown on top.

Here are the numbers:
Block:

Transmission:
HD 39

Transfer Case:
C15085

Heads:
D237

D227

#4 ·
As of tonight, we had to burn out the leaf spring bushings because the bolts would not come out, so we got to have a little fun with FIRE!!!

Once those were out, we were able to drop the rear axle

And that is how she sits as of now.

We are going to try to finish up on the front end here in the next few days so the chassis can go out for sandblasting and then we can start the reassembly

#7 ·
Damn thats looks like a lot of work tearing that thing down.
It sure has been, have a TON of time involved, but it's been a BLAST

Wow that was alot of pics! But because of all the pics it has made me excited to see the final product!
Me too, I can't wait! I have a TON of plans for it, and a LOOOONG way to go, with I'm sure quite a few surprises to come, lol

#9 ·
show truck that you mud with, kinda gonna be a tough challenge. glad you posted this, I so am not gonna build a truck, fuck that, ill just buy new ones, i don't have this kinda time :nono:
me neither... that's why there's 2 years in it so far :facepalm:

#10 ·
Sorry for the bad pics, but its all I have for now.

Just picked this up for $700, going to pick it up from my buddies place in Columbus, Indiana on Sunday. I will be sure to post better picks when I get there. It will be our body for the build, since the one that was on our truck sucked and was all rusted out

#13 ·
Thats awesome bro, I've got a 78 c20 sittin in my grandparents back yard that I cant wait to tear into with my son, hes only 3 months right now, but well get to it someday. Gonna be following this build closely as this is exactly what I'm gonna be doing plus adding a D60 in the front.

#14 ·
Sweet, thanks! I am going to build this truck as a 70s model (different grill assembly). The goal is to get it done in two years so I can start my next project (Cummins sled puller), so it will be slow going, but its going to be awesome!

#15 ·
Picked up a new to me body today for the truck. It is a 1984 C10 body, and besides the bird crap and dust, it looks like it just came off the showroom floor. For the price we payed, it was a steal, it looks awesome!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.