How too clear NNBS GMT900 07-10 Silverado and Sierra Headlights

471K views 682 replies 178 participants last post by  Wreks210 
#1 · (Edited)
How too remove Chevy headlights link

How too remove GMC headlights link

VIDEOS OF PROCESS

VIDEO LINK OF CUTTING

VIDEO LINK OF SEALING.

First off let me say a big thanks to REG CAB 07 for coming up with this method of clearing 2007-up silverado headlights. I sent him numerous PM's and he helped me by giving me instructions on how to do this and what to glue it with.

Second, this may not be the only way to clear your lights, some may like the oven method but it didnt work for me and actually melted a light. Therefore, I found this to be the best method for me, and it has worked well for myself and others.

Third, I am in no way responsible for anyone that trys this method and scews up their lights...so only do this if your confident....we all have different skill levels that were comfortable with.

The only tools I used is an air cut-off tool with a 3" X 1/16" thick disc, an exacto knife to clean up the edges later, and a screwdriver to pry off the amber sections. The other tools were used for removeal of the light (10mm).

I found it easiest to place the headlight in a box to hold it into position while cutting. You will also need to remove the foam from one side, but take notice of its location because you will reinstall it after your finished.

I like to start with this side, because it has the thinest section as to where to cut and a molded bracket that is kinda in the way.

Just position the light in the box and start cutting approx where I did here, working your way from one end to the next. Caution...do not cut too deep or you will cut into the chrome plastic thats underneath. I just score the plastic with the disc, then slowly work myself down till I cut thru and then stop and move on a few inches. This takes time so be patient.

Once you have that side done, flip the light and do the next side beginning at the corner where you left off.

Then the nest side

Then the next side

Once all sides have been cut, remove the lense from the housing assembly.

Next is to remove the amber lense. The amber lense has two clips at the chrome center and two that are hooked under and glued to the base. The lower two will need the tabs cuttoff but be careful not to damage the chrome or cut too deep.

Next step is to clean the edges. The little pieces just pull off and/or will need slight trimming with the exacto knife.

Take your time cleaning these edges, just like anything else...preparation is everything.

Next you need to blow off any remaining plastic dust/particles etc of both the housing and the lense. Then you need to wipe off any and all fingerprints/residue from both pieces.

I used GE 100% Silicone Glue from Home depot. Its clear and cost about $3.50 a tube which is plently for both lights.

Place a small bead along the housing base cut edge, making sure you dont get too much or it will ooze inside and be visible. After the small bead is apllied, place the lense on top and align the corners. You may need to place something heavy on top while it dries. After 30-60min, place a nice thick bead on the outside to seal out moisture. You can smooth this with your finger so it looks good. This is hidden behind the grille/fender/bumper...only the top can be seen with the hood open if you know what your looking for.

Congrats....you now have a factory cleared headlight :D

See less See more
#3 ·
Re: How too clear NNBS GMT900 07-08 Silverado Headlights

Holy Shit! thats looks great, can I send you mine?

How much does the whole light assembly cost ( a new one)?

#4 ·

A new light is approx $240 ea

I hope this how too is understandable...its hard to do something...take a pic...do something...take a pic...then try to explain it all. I have a whole new respect for you guys that post these how toos :worship:

#8 ·

JB how much would you charge to do mine? It might be the summer before I'm able to send them, but I don't know what I would do for the day or two w/o my lights.

#11 ·

They have been on a week and it rained like a mofo one day...gonna rain again today and no issues yet, plus I have washed it a couple times and sprayed the hell out of it directly/intentionally. REG CAB 07 and Iminaquagmire also dont have any problems and they did theirs the same way.

#12 ·

They have been on a week and it rained like a mofo one day...gonna rain again today and no issues yet, plus I have washed it a couple times and sprayed the hell out of it directly/intentionally. REG CAB 07 and Iminaquagmire also dont have any problems and they did theirs the same way.
Cool..good enough for me then. It's hard to tell in the pictures..but you guys actually cut the clear part of the light right? Man, that's crazzzzzzy

#13 ·

Cool..good enough for me then. It's hard to tell in the pictures..but you guys actually cut the clear part of the light right? Man, that's crazzzzzzy
Sack up and do it man! You have to cut the clear part of the lens. I experimented with my original lights. I didn't have an extra set in case I screwed up. I figured there is no glory in crashing with the brakes on, so I said fuck it and went for it. It actually isn't that hard to do.

#14 ·

Sack up and do it man! You have to cut the clear part of the lens. I experimented with my original lights. I didn't have an extra set in case I screwed up. I figured there is no glory in crashing with the brakes on, so I said fuck it and went for it. It actually isn't that hard to do.
so just cut the lens and then silicone it back together?

#15 ·

so just cut the lens and then silicone it back together?
Yes. As long as you take your time with the silicone as to not make a mess inside the light, it is really easy to do. I installed my lights about an hour after I did it. The silicone wasn't fully set up. So to keep the lens in place while the silicone dried, I used blue painters tape and taped the lens to the fender and grill to keep it from sagging. I would recommend letting the lights cure overnight off the truck laying flat.

#16 ·

Yes. As long as you take you time with the silicone as to not make a mess inside the light it is really easy to do. I installed my lights about an hour after I did it. The silicone wasn't fully set up. So to keep the lens in place while the silicone dried, I used blue painters tape and taped the lens to the fender and grill to keep it from sagging. I would recommend letting the lights cure overnight off the truck laying flat.
10-4. sweet! ill be doing this saturday. will post pics :head3:

that is IF i can get my grille off! :pissed: :flame:

#19 ·

I took the entire front of my truck apart, yet I'm timid about cutting apart the lights..go figure.

I thought the headlight light lenses were glass..wtf

#22 ·

One more tip.....park your truck somewhere like in front of the garage and see where your headlights aim. Removing/cutting etc will throw it off some on the up/down but they are adjustable...just nice to have a reference.

I just did another one so I have a complete set ready to go :D

Sam >>>> Im gonna do a how too on the removal soon so that should help.

brandon...yes Im willing

#25 ·

One more tip.....park your truck somewhere like in front of the garage and see where your headlights aim. Removing/cutting etc will throw it off some on the up/down but they are adjustable...just nice to have a reference.

I just did another one so I have a complete set ready to go :D

Sam >>>> Im gonna do a how too on the removal soon so that should help.

brandon...yes Im willing
Sweet! :head3: But I might have to wait on the removal how to first. LOL. I am notorious for breaking tabs and shit while working on something.

JB, PM me so we can get something setup

#26 ·

If you guys want to paint the bezel black then you should use black silicone rather than the clear. I was going to remove the yellow lenses but once the bezel was black the missing reflectors didn't look right.

i want to see these mounted :hmm:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.