GMC Truck Forum banner

06' silverado nitrous oxide?

21K views 77 replies 23 participants last post by  Covah 
#1 ·
what's the chances of me blowing up my bone stock chevy 1500 z71 with 90k miles by spraying a 75 shot of nitrous oxide?

#7 ·
Because he wants NAWS!!!

Our trannies are weak links, and if they want to go, they will, stock or modded up. 75 will not do anything to your engine, as long as you are not stupid. On your truck, though, I don't expect it to have you doing 12's in the 1/4.:jester:

#8 ·
Because he wants NAWS!!!

Our trannies are weak links, and if they want to go, they will, stock or modded up. 75 will not do anything to your engine, as long as you are not stupid. On your truck, though, I don't expect it to have you doing 12's in the 1/4.:jester:
:word:

the engine would be the least of my worries...its the transmission that i would be worried about:jester:

#10 ·
I'm spraying my 5.3L with 125k miles on it. Just make sure you aren't stupid about it and you'll be fine. The engines can easily take a 150 shot. Like said, it's the transmissions that aren't so strong.

#11 ·
I had a 100 shot on mine and it didn't seem to hurt it. I only used it twice though. Then I sold it to my buddy with a 2000 5.3 with about 180,000 miles and a week later he said it blew his throttle body and threw a rod (destroyed his engine). But I think he did something wrong.

#12 ·
where would be the best place to find the right on at? (like what brand) and if i wanted to do a black bear tune should i do it before or after i put nitrous on it?

#14 ·
#15 ·
If anything use that money on the nitrous and get something else:imo and then after you get some better mods and a black bear then maybe some NAWS
then what would you recommend, like cold air, a tb spacer, exaust?

#16 ·
then what would you recommend, like cold air, a tb spacer, exaust?
Cold air helps, but there are plenty of things you can do yourself and save yourself money too. Longtube headers, cold air intake, servo for the tranny, exhaust. You cant just put one of these and expect a huge diffrence but once you start putting them all together then you will see a huge diffrence. Then you put a Tune on top of that, and your set.

Edit: dont say TB spacer here, it will start a war. I made that mistake of buying one and they do not work on non tbi motors.

#17 ·
Cold air helps, but there are plenty of things you can do yourself and save yourself money too. Longtube headers, cold air intake, servo for the tranny, exhaust. You cant just put one of these and expect a huge diffrence but once you start putting them all together then you will see a huge diffrence. Then you put a Tune on top of that, and your set.

Edit: dont say TB spacer here, it will start a war. I made that mistake of buying one and they do not work on non tbi motors.
oh 10-4 with the exaust shouold i go with a bolt on gibson.borla,flowmaster, or go to an exaust shop and get true dual flowmaster or magnaflow?

#18 ·
oh 10-4 with the exaust shouold i go with a bolt on gibson.borla,flowmaster, or go to an exaust shop and get true dual flowmaster or magnaflow?
Alot of the people on here are going to tell you to either go with Magnaflow(I have it), Borla, or Corsa. Flowmaster is just a cheap brand :imo and I hate it. You can go to a shop to get it done, I prefer a 2 1/2 piping for good sound and flow. True duals are just good for sound becuase they wont give you a huge performance gain.

#19 ·
i had a 03 chevy 1500 2wd single cab and put alot of exaust on it but the biggest gain i got was running one muffler out in front of the passenger rear tire should i try that on this truck or go all the way back with two tips

#20 ·
i had a 03 chevy 1500 2wd single cab and put alot of exaust on it but the biggest gain i got was running one muffler out in front of the passenger rear tire should i try that on this truck or go all the way back with two tips
Thats fine, it makes for a good sporty look :imo. I have 2 friends that have it done to their truck with 4" tips and it looks great. What kind of muffler are you going to run then?

#22 ·
im thinking magnaflow but i dont know much about them are they like flowmaster do they have different series with different sounds? or just one type? if so i want a deeper sound

#25 ·
Enjoy driving it till the tranny blows or the engine fails :think:
Nothing personal man, but this is one of the topics you should stay out of. You're telling the guy to get a cold air intake because it's worth the money.....

The engine is not going to blow as long as you use the nitrous responsibly. The transmission could fail, but 4l60e transmissions have been known to fail even on a stock truck. At the same time people have also ran 12 second 1/4 mile times with a stock 4l60e transmission so it's a gamble either way.

If you plan on running nitrous you don't need to do anything to the engine aside from buying some $20(for all 8) TR-6 spark plugs from Advance or Autozone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.