GMC Truck Forum banner

SAS on my 89 Toyota Pickup Not a GM but is tech

45K views 208 replies 50 participants last post by  BadassBlaze 
#1 ·
Specs:
1989 Toyota Extended Cab 3.0 V6. 210k miles on the clock (porlly more, speedo doesnet agree with larger tires)
3" body lift. (might be cut in half later on)
5" Trail Gear IFS Elliminator kit
5" Trail Gear Classic rear kit
1985 Solid front Axle, 5.29's, Quick lock locker
Stock rear axle with 5.29's and Detroit locker
15/38.5/15 TSL Boggers
15x10 American Racing Black Waggy Wheels
Here is pics as it stands Stock, then 3" bl with 33's, then 4" sus/3" BL on q-78 Tsls, then now same but with 35x14.50 boggers. All this will be finally removed fos the last picture.

Okay progress. I have the front third member locked and geared.
All un needed brackets on the axle have been torched, and I welded the upper gusset in (took my time not to warp housing).
Last night i tore out the old rotors and wheel bearing races. Then drove in new Bearing races, put on new vented rotors, and put on the wheel spacers.
Tonight if i can get time I will try to polish the welds on the axle and paint her up along with the knuckles and steering arms. Once dry I will slap that axle back together.
I will get pics on assembly of the Front axle. I forgot my camera the last few time i worked and I was more worried about progress than pictures.

See less See more
#2 ·
Okay more tech. The previous pics of gear pattern was with setup bearings and the pinion depth was off when the new bearing was pressed on. Anyways i had decided to run it fubbared than i sadi fuck it i want it right. these pics are curret pics of the pattern.
Order of pictures are:
freshly painted housing with axle gusset welded in and ready for assembly
freshly painted steering knuckles
rebuilt/repainted factory aisin locking hubs
new fj rotors on Stock wheel hubs and wheel spacers to even track width with rear axle
remainder of parts to go back on/in the axle, spindle, dust sheild, shafts, etc.
Coast side pattern good imo
drive side pattern good one too.
a pretty 4cyl. thrid with a quicklock and 5.29 yukon gears properly setup.

#3 ·
I did some more wrenching and got the Birfeilds packed full of high temp grease, put the gaskets, shafts, spindles, backing plates, ans outer spindle to wheel seall. here are he pics. 2 are the axle assembly, one shows the high steer arm

#4 ·
Here is progress pics from this week. Thanks to Drew and my dad I could not have done it. tomorrow i will hang the front axle. As you can see in one of the pics i tested me shackle angle and i am really satisfied with the results. I may need to clearance the body mount but thats no big deal. here are the pics.

#7 ·
Hell yeah! Good stuff man! Are those spanners on the third member?
sure is. That is backlash and preload adjustment.

#12 ·

Put on some damn shoes you hippie. :pirate4x4 flipoff:

EDIT: Oh the truck looks great too.
my brother has my steeltoes... its seriously time for him to get his own pair

ill be up there tomorow to help ya marcus, we gotta get that axle hung :imo

#13 ·
like a 9 in a work boot... 11 in normal shoes

#14 ·
ha marcus looks good

i wish yall woulda called me i woulda came help yall out but looks like yall are getting it together pretty nicely

call me tomorrow if yall need any more help which is doubtful since yall got that bitch striped and striking posses already

keep it up man

#15 ·
I appreciate the offer hunter, but my dad had been helping. Ill keep you informed hunter.

#16 ·
got some good work done today and broke a pitman arm puller in the process. all i gotta say is GD the yota is gonna be tall as the fuck and the axle is soooooo far up... also a couple gratuitous pics of my truck

#17 ·
Wow at the center pin offset... Watch out Jason, Marcus might soon have a longer w/b than you.:LOL:

#18 ·
came together great man

you dont have the tsl's mounted already? i was expecting to see that bitch on 38's by tonight haha

that yotas gonna be a beast........now lets sink its ass

is there a way to get your axle more centered inside the wheel well?

like longer springs are have your rear hanger pushed back more?

drew finally got some damn work boots yay group hug

#21 ·
IIRC the front axle is roughly 2" forward from the stock location. It is taller than i expected and if i tower 38's too much i may pull the body lift of cut it in half. :dunno:
I like a tall truck but if this one begins to see trail and rocks it needs to be lower.
I drove it today for a little bit. Results= needs to be aligned better, NEED my steering stabilizer, and driving without rear shocks suck. Especially with all my OLD IFS lift and UCA/LCA halfshaft assemblies. Als the front diff is in the bed too. It bounces alot in the back.

#24 ·
Im selling the boggers to a guy at work

#25 ·
Well Drew and i got it drivable today. All that is left is longer brake lines, bumpstops, and steering stabilizer. She rides a little better than ifs but i need to cycle the suspension before it will settle and ride better.

Drew will post pics at his appt later on . Dial up sucks for the pics

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.