06 Z71 Slow Build

Discussion in 'Under Construction' started by B_mcl6, Aug 24, 2016.

1. B_mcl6

B_mcl6 GMFS Member

Hey guys, I recently bought a 2006 Silverado 1500 Z71 off a friend of mine for 10k. The truck has right around 113k miles and I am happy with the price I got it at. Im extremely excited to be in a chevy now. My last truck was a 04 Ram 1500 hemi that was my dads but now that I am done with school for the time being and working full time, I have decided to buy something on my own and im extremely proud of it! On to the truck...
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Everything on the truck currently was exactly how i bought it. Nothing crazy but I like how it looks.
    -Rough Country Leveling kit
    -17x9 wheels on 33 inch mastercrafts
    -K&N C/A Intake
    -Bully Dog tuner
    -Flowmaster 40 Series

I have already ordered smoked LED tails along with the 2016 GMC tow mirrors with the chrome. They should be here in about a week. Im exited to see how they look on the truck. Will follow up on this thread once I get the mirrors because I will be pulling them apart to run the parking lights to them. I also have a toolbox and 30 inch light bar from my old truck i plan to switch over. The light bar will go behind the grill.

Near Future Mods for the rig include:
    - Paint match the flares and possibly mirrors
    - 20x12s most likely chrome. (moto metals or ultra preds)
    - Smoked Headlights
    - New tint all around (5% on every window 35% on windshield)

Later on I plan on doing some more serious mods such as cams, etc.
    For now i love the truck and excited to see where this build will take me! Hope you guys follow along. I also would REALLY appreciate suggestions on future mods or whatever else. THanks guys

IMG_4360.PNG

IMG_4804.JPG

2. B_mcl6

B_mcl6 GMFS Member

I am looking to buy wheels within the next couple weeks. I definitely want to go 20x12 and chrome. I really like the look of the predators so I may just go with them. AS for tire, i have decided on the nitto 420 ( I know I am not a huge fan of the look either) but they are by far the most practical for me at the moment. I drive about 80 miles a day to the jobsite im currently on and with the cheap price of the 420s i figured i couldnt go wrong.

3. silverado addict

silverado addict GMFS Member

excited to see this come together!

4. B_mcl6

B_mcl6 GMFS Member

Thanks man, I'm excited to get working on it!

5. slicksierra

slicksierra GM Plow Truck Owner

Just please say no to 420s. Not sure how you think your gonna fit x12s without atleast a NorCal mod. Why not save some money and do x10s and get a better tire? Also plans sound good but I would redo everything but the level lol. Airaid MIT tube has been proven to add the most power in the NBS application and is less than half the cost of a K&N. If you wanna run a plug and play tuner atleast get a Diablo but it's common knowledge that a true mail order or customs tune will be a lot more bang for the buck. That flow master is doing you no favors. Unless your really really really like the sound (there's some who do) look into a straight thru muffler like a magnaflow or dynomax or on the higher end like a borla. 2015 mirrors should be sweet though that's something I've had my eye on.

live from the gutter trash.

sowyer10 and Chase_bachler like this.
  6. gmc00z

gmc00z GMFS Senior Member

put an AT on there at the very least IMO. Nitto Terra G2's come in a lighter weight 305/55 that would look right at home with the 20x12's, may need a little extra clearance with x12's though.

CM the handles as well and mirrors when you get them.

7. slicksierra

That's awesome and yes just looked up that size I also agree go with that and stay awake from 10 ply on a half ton unless you tow a lot daily. Will be just that much more comfortable.

8. Countryboy07

Countryboy07 GMFS Member

Looks like a clean truck to start with and plans sound pretty solid. I'd add to the list;

De-mold
    Remove pinstripe
    Esky handles
    Remove bug shield
    Remove Z-71 decal
    Remove Mud flaps
    Definitely CM flares and mirrors
    Cleared stock headlights rather than smoked

ALLTERRAIN, Chase_bachler and B_mcl6 like this.
  9. WildChevys

WildChevys In Valor There Is Hope

Yes to all this

Sent from your sister's house

10. B_mcl6

B_mcl6 GMFS Member

Thank you all for replying. I am very very appreciative of all opinions, positive and negative! A major reason I have been leaning towards the 420s is because I have a friend who has a set wrapped around mm 962s that I could take for a good price. I don't love the stretched look too much but I could deal with it. I am positive I want to go x12s because I really like the stance it gives, and I'm already planning on doing a NorCal mod. How much am I looking at for a decent tuner and intake to replace the current?

11. WildChevys

WildChevys In Valor There Is Hope

EFI is 300-500 and the airaid mit is like 200 maybe with filter

Sent from your sister's house

12. B_mcl6

B_mcl6 GMFS Member

10-4. Thanks man I'll add that on my list for mods then! I appreciate it

WildChevys likes this.
  13. slicksierra

What wildchevys said blackbear mailorder tune is like a tad over 200 while the intake and dry filter is right around 150.

B_mcl6 likes this.
  14. TeMoney14

TeMoney14 GMFS Member

If you have to run 420's for a bit cause you are buying them off someone thats one thing but buying new tires just spend the money and get an AT. I drive the truck in my sig at least 120 miles a day and wouldn't even consider putting 420's on, especially if I had x12's. Sure your mpg's are gonna go down, but you'll have a sweet looking truck so who cares?

Heckwine, B_mcl6 and slicksierra like this.
  15. B_mcl6

B_mcl6 GMFS Member

The old flowmaster was rusted out and falling off (shocker) so I decided to put on a glass pack laying around for the time being until I figure out a permanent set up.. Any suggestions? Also decided I want to paint the undercarriage

image.jpeg

16. B_mcl6

B_mcl6 GMFS Member

So the tailights and Yitamotor tow mirrors came in today. I'm extremely impressed at the quality of the mirrors and I'm excited to see them on the truck. I've been super busy with work so I won't get them on til Friday most likely. I'll post

image.jpeg

17. B_mcl6

B_mcl6 GMFS Member

I got the tails and mirrors on today and I'm extremely pleased with them. Decided to go out and snag a cool pic!

image.jpeg

18. ogg

ogg GMFS Member

Tails look pretty good but stock 03-07 tails with LED bulbs would look better and the mirrors need to be leveled, IMO.

19. B_mcl6

B_mcl6 GMFS Member

Heres a pic of how it sits right at the moment. I have leveled the tow mirrors and also put led reverse lights in the tails and also installed 2 pods as reverse which ended up working out sweet. They look awesome and I will post pics tonight.
    A better update : I have ordered the 6 inch RCX non torsion drop lift. Looking to order wheels and tires asap once I decide exactly what I want to run. Most likely going to be 20x12 wrapped with 35s. My plans have already changed for the truck but that's what keeps it excited I supposed. Hope some of you enjoy!

image.jpeg

Countryboy07 likes this.
  20. Slim

Slim Jake

You should stick to one theme. Smoked heads/tails don't really go with chrome wheels, especially with that color trucks.

But, to each their own.

ALLTERRAIN and Kids-at-Wawa like this.