1986 K20 Suburban

Discussion in 'Classic GM' started by dfrat, Oct 7, 2016.

1. dfrat

dfrat New Member

Just bought this 86 Suburban. Wondering if I should leave it as original as possible or change some things under the hood. Currently the intake manifold is leaking and it seems like the carb has an issue. Thinking of putting a edelbrock intake and carb since it all has to come off anyway. This burb has all the original smog stuff too and I was thinking of removing it and putting headers on it.

I'm told that these changes will add quite a few HP and get better gas mileage. Thoughts? Advice?

20161007_124025.jpg

2. WHATWASGMTHINKING

WHATWASGMTHINKING GMFS Member

I mean, what are your intentions for the truck? Full on restoration and resale? If so, replace with OE or keep original. If just owning to drive into the ground or get from point a-b, why not add a little pep

3. dfrat

dfrat New Member

I think that's my dilemma, what am I going to do with it. I want more pep, but am torn. it's pretty clean for its age, only 105K miles, has the original mufflers on it still.

4. WHATWASGMTHINKING

WHATWASGMTHINKING GMFS Member

You need to figure that out first. But if it was me, Id grab the edelbrock, keep the oe in the garage and go from there

5. dfrat

dfrat New Member

Any idea how much more horsepower I can get with those upgrades?