GMC Truck Forum banner

1987 Chevy truck floor panel, rocker and cab corner repair

Question 
15K views 21 replies 5 participants last post by  MaronLeighton 
#1 ·
I was looking for some advice on a good way to repair rust in my trucks cab.i know by welding in new panels. But what panel do I tackle first?
One pic Is of driver floor panel
Another is rocker panel up by the front fender
Then the last one is the cab corner. These are all on the same side. Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Floor first, working middle out to the rocker, match up the cab corner with the new rocker.
Agreed.

That way there is less opportunity for things to get out of wack. Most of you floor support by the door is the inner and outer rockers. So if you do those first your already weak floor has the opportunity to move.

#6 ·
Agreed.

That way there is less opportunity for things to get out of wack. Most of you floor support by the door is the inner and outer rockers.
This is exactly correct which is why I suggested replacing the rockers and corner first since they are currently rotted and the new pieces will offer better support when the floor pan is fixed :shrug:

#7 ·
This is exactly correct which is why I suggested replacing the rockers and corner first since they are currently rotted and the new pieces will offer better support when the floor pan is fixed :shrug:
There is more way then one to skin a cat.

Rockers in question are not that bad that they should move however since we don't know how bad the inner are. We don't know.

I feel that you fix the inner structure as that way if adjustment is needed you can do it to the rocker. If you don the rockers first you are stuck with that if something happens.

#9 ·
There is more way then one to skin a cat.

Rockers in question are not that bad that they should move however since we don't know how bad the inner are. We don't know.

I feel that you fix the inner structure as that way if adjustment is needed you can do it to the rocker. If you don the rockers first you are stuck with that if something happens.
I agree and see where you're coming from here. It makes sense :handshake

I appreciate the input, I'm new to this as this is the first truck I've ever attempted to fix up.
Thank you!

As you can see there's not just one way to do this as it will be for almost all of your projects on this truck :) The top priority when doing this particular project is to take your time and put some thought into it before you cut anything or try to replace anything. Take your time :)

#11 ·
I agree and see where you're coming from here. It makes sense :handshake

As you can see there's not just one way to do this as it will be for almost all of your projects on this truck :) The top priority when doing this particular project is to take your time and put some thought into it before you cut anything or try to replace anything. Take your time :)
If I don't do the rockers first or if I do?

#13 ·
When replacing the floor pan you'll want to brace the cab regardless of the order you do this in. When building my '77 I was in a small house with a one car garage at the time of replacing the floor pans, rockers and cab corners so I know all about tight quarters :) I also did mine while the cab was on the frame. If you don't add support to the cab when replacing the floor pans you'll be sorry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.