Question 1987 GMC V2500 Sierra Classic Code 44 Lean Fix?

Discussion in 'Classic GM' started by Earl Phillips, May 18, 2017.

1. Earl Phillips

Earl Phillips New Member

This truck just had the motor replaced with new GM crate motor 5.7ltr in OCT2016. As a note: the idle surging problem existed prior to this writing and I had replaced numerous parts to no avail. Garages told my problem prior to replacing motor was an either a internal vacuum leak and needed to replace my intake manifold gaskets or water pump etc. None of those repairs helped. Since a bearing went on the bottom end and the motor needed to be replaced, I thought this would solve my issue with surging idle. After three weeks at a dealer, checking and or replacing numerous parts they determined they could not fix it. They turned up the idle screw and gave up. In my effort to help myself, I replaced the vacuum booster but that did not make a difference in the idle fluctuations. In 6 months I have 700 miles on the new motor and recently I notice a momentarily hesitation and then the check engine light came on. Code 34 & 44. Dealer told me to check for a vacuum leak. I did look and could not find any cracked hoses or lines that are not connected. I plugged the vacuum line that even feeds the vacuum pots for the heater controls, nothing changed. Looking for suggestions that could possible be the culprit other than the obvious ie: IAC, TPS, TBI & gaskets, Injectors, EGR, MAP sensor, Charcoal Canisters, Vacuum Booster, fuel pressure, fuel tanks, fuel pumps, dry or brittle vacuum lines, vacuum ball reservoir. Thanks...

2. Art61

Art61 New Member

I would recheck the airgap for the idle and find a procedure for Iac reset just in case they missed something i'm not sure what year your truck is I'm hoping it's in the 90s

3. Art61

Art61 New Member

4. Art61

Art61 New Member

IMG_0323.JPG

5. Art61

Art61 New Member

IMG_0324.JPG

6. Art61

Art61 New Member

7. Art61

Art61 New Member

IMG_0325.JPG

8. Art61

Art61 New Member

9. Art61

Art61 New Member

IMG_0327.JPG

10. Earl Phillips

Earl Phillips New Member

The truck is a 1987 v2500 Sierra Classic, 5.7 ltr TBI. I checked the truck today and the only code it is show is 12 and 44. I just don't know where else to look for a vacuum leak. When it was at the dealership they had tested fuel pressure was within the limits.

11. Art61

Art61 New Member

Code 12 the system OK they all start that , it's a system check mine does it too I feel for you I have a brand-new crate engine too 3 Gm mechanics can't figure out the problem I would check for exhaust leaks and the O2 sensor according to the book
    Good luck

12. Art61

Art61 New Member

You pretty much need a OBD one scanner to work on these things like a tech one or a tech two or a snap on

13. Earl Phillips

Earl Phillips New Member

Thanks Art... I printed out those pages, thank you. I would have thought the Chevy Dealerships mechanics would have performed these procedures at that time. As a novice in comparison to the combined mechanical abilities and knowledge base of the certified mechanics, I am to say the least a bit flabbergasted. Thanks again...