Question 1990 K1500 fuel tank sizes

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by sskooter90, Dec 18, 2016.

1. sskooter90

sskooter90 New Member

Hello, new guy here. I've got a '90 Chevy K1500 (extended cab, 6' bed) that the fuel tank leaks all the way down to around a fifth of the 25 gallon tank. I can only put around 5 gallons in at a time. I was able to grab a 34 gallon tank from someone parting out his truck for cheap. Before I tear into it, has anybody done or does anybody know if the 34 gallon will fit right in? Last thing I wanna do is drop the current tank then find out the the bigger one won't fit. I've tried to find the info in the forums... its like a virtual labyrinth trying to find anything. Thank you in advance.

2. nsguy

nsguy GMFS Member

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Gas Tanks
    1988-98 Chevrolet Pickup Trucks
    1988-98 GMC Pickup Trucks

View Parts List[​IMG]
    25 Gallon measures: 46" x 12" x 13-1/2"
    34 Gallon measures: 59" x 14" x 13-1/2"

Shortbed trucks were equipped with 25 gallon tanks; longbed trucks were equipped with either a 25 gallon or 34 gallon tank. Measure your gas tank or gas tank shield to determine which gas tank you need.

From LMC's catalog

3. sskooter90

sskooter90 New Member

Thank you for the info. I know what size is in the truck (and measured both tanks that I have), but I don't know if the 34g will bolt up in or not. So, from your reply, basically the 34g will not fit in a short bed truck?

4. nsguy

nsguy GMFS Member

I'm guessing that if the larger tank would fit it would have been offered as an option. Lay your 34 gal. tank on the ground under the truck with the filler hole line up with the one on the 25 gal. tank and maybe you can see if there might be anyplace it might run into something.

5. OceanSpray

OceanSpray New Member

Just FYI. My 1990 short-bed (78"), extended cab GMC Sierra SLE (C1500) has a Spectra Premium 25 gallon tank with pre-installed fuel pump. Model number is GM23B2FA. Prices online are all over the place, from $180 to $300. Several sites on Amazon have a "check for fit" option.