2004 Tahoe Z71 killing batteries

Discussion in 'Audio & Electronics' started by dumbguy123, Dec 5, 2017.

Sponsored By: EMF Car Audio
  1. carkhz316

carkhz316 GMFS Member

Everyone seems to be overlooking the fact that something with the truck might be prematurely wrecking these batteries. Barring aftermarket electrical devices (remote start, security, etc) causing problems, I'd look into checking for a parasitic draw. You probably drive your truck often enough that it goes unnoticed in day to day operation, yet is heavily discharging your battery in between every ignition cycle, which will wreck any battery in short fashion.

And yes, the GMT 800's do have electrical problems; dash clusters among other things.

Cheese8585 likes this.
  2. dumbguy123

dumbguy123 GMFS Member

Thank you for the reply. This is what I was referencing. I know over the years, I have seen threads come up about electrical issues. As you said, dash clusters, HVAC controls, electric seats, etc. As an example my driver seat now is backwards on the switch to slide the seat forward/backward. It wasn't always like this, but has been for about 2 years. Push forward on the switch, seat goes backwards, and vice versa. It supposedly can be fixed by a flash at the dealer, but nonetheless, it is an "electrical gremlin." At some point, I should try to see if there is a parasitic draw that is constantly doing a number on the battery. Or who knows....some day I may or someone else may figure out the cause of these issues. Thanks.

3. kids-at-711

kids-at-711 Sexually identifies as a shopping cart.

Why do you want so badly for there to be an "electrical gremlin"? Why do you flat refuse to accept that you just got jank batteries.

If you had an electrical issue in the truck you would know it, parastatic draw would kill the battery and you would have to jump it off to start it.

Srsly, WTF is wrong with you, you're like the guy that watches a tv commercial about how broccoli can cure cancer so you run out and buy 7 tons of broccoli, gullible and assume the worst.

benz88 likes this.
  4. ibanender

ibanender www.emfcaraudio.com

You could get a custom vinyl wrap on the A3400 since the case is flat. That is the biggest difference between the A series and D/S series. Then you could tell everybody you're special because you had special batteries made.

If the truck was prematurely wrecking batteries, it would be in days or MAYBE weeks, definitely not years. The same battery going bad in 2 years, twice in a row isn't coincidence.

The issues you speak of aren't "gremlins", they're known problems with known symptoms and known solutions. I didn't spend months trying to track down my HVAC problem, I spent 10 minutes looking and bought a $40 part that solved it. That issue doesn't cause parasitic draw. The instrument cluster stepper motors aren't just GMT800's, it's alot of GM vehicles, not parasitic and known solution. I've never heard of the seat issue you speak of but it sounds like a BCM going weird. That's the only one that could potentially be parasitic draw but you said it's been acting like that for 2 years, while your battery worked fine.

Load test the battery so you can prove to yourself it's bad and replace it.

5. Phildirt

Phildirt n. fil-dert.

Another thread where OP knows the answer but asks the question anyways, then spends 4 pages trying to convince everyone he was right, but he didn’t know in the first place which was why he asks. It is one of those ‘full circle’ things.

barrrf likes this.
  6. Phildirt

Phildirt n. fil-dert.

Is 2 years considered short?

7. carkhz316

carkhz316 GMFS Member

I'm not saying you're wrong, but it absolutely can happen like this. I know this is anecdotal, but my '03 did exactly this. When I bought the truck, it had a 1.5 year old Interstate battery in it. One week later, the alternator went bad (presumably from always recharging a cycled battery). 2 months later, the battery was junk, presumably from numerous discharges due to parasitic draw. I'm assuming it (the truck) had issues before I bought it. I replaced the battery with a Deka from the local parts store, and 14 months later, that battery crapped out. It was around that time I discovered what exactly in the cluster was causing the parasitic draw and fixed it. Nearly two years after that, I sold the truck with no battery or alternator issues (still with the 2nd Deka battery in it).

See above, but the stepper motors aren't ever the cause of the instrument cluster draw. It's the resistors that break their solder connections and cause the cluster to not completely power down and "go to sleep"; usually about a 150ma draw in a lot of cases, which will kill a charged battery in about 7-10 days.
    Well, compared to the accepted 5 year lifespan of automotive batteries, 2 would be short.

8. Phildirt

Phildirt n. fil-dert.

If it’s taking 10 days to drain then drive it. I had a truck I only drove on the weekend so I kept it on a tender.

9. ibanender

In your case there was a problem that caused the battery failure, both times. In his case a 2 year old battery failed, it was replaced with another of the same and 2 years later it failed again. Nothing was replaced but the battery. In regards to the original post I would have first suggested it could be the alternator, but usually other things start going stupid in those trucks when it's the alternator. Things act funny, instrument cluster does weird things, noise in the stereo. Also, the entire "get the battery tested" thing was completely disregarded which might help determine a lot of things.

10. carkhz316

carkhz316 GMFS Member

Oh, I absolutely agree that OP should have the battery and the alternator tested. That can/ will rule out those for sure. In my case, I initially didn't know what had killed the battery and then the alternator, yet continued to drive it for some time before discovering the parasitic drain issue, which was ultimately the culprit all along. But you'd have to think that 2 batteries in a row seems more than a coincidence, despite the interval.

11. Sewolf162

Sewolf162 New Member

Well guys and galls, I used to have a 02 Tahoe Z71, I kept it all original and had it as a daily driver. Then I started to have issues like what is discussed above. I in the end replaced the Alternator for a brand new one, I installed a larger battery that I could fit in it and it still didn't make a difference. It got so bad that I would go into work (Truck Driver) and only 10 hours later, the battery would be stone dead. In fact it would only read less than 12 volts. Yes I did have both the battery and the system tested and I could not find anything.

After some digging, I did find out that it still had the old Analog OnStar system and a good friend of mine told me, he was part of the group that did the change over from Analog to Digital. He said that Onstar would sometimes send out a all call to all the vehicles out there with the system with updates and the Analog system would still get the wake up signal but because it could not understand the digital, it would just sit idle on and waiting for an answer, Stereo, amp and all.

I disconnected the amp under the glove box and found that I solved the issue, no more discharge. Only problem now is I have no radio too. So I reinstalled the amp and went searching for the OnStar unit. I found it behind the dash gauges. It took some work and doing but I managed to yank it out and tape up the connections.

This still didn't solve the issue thou, it still discharge the battery, sometimes as fast as 5 hrs dead from full. I did read about that Onstar system is in two parts to prevent easy disconnection. The second part in the back somewhere.

I at this time just gave up on it, Tired calling friends or co-workers for a boost at 3am in the morning when its -40 below.
    I went to the dealer in Jan 2014, and traded it in for a new 14 Silverado 1500. Hay I did get $1000. for it on trade in which was more than the black book suggested.

Hope my findings, sweat and tears help you here.

Oh by the way, there was just one thing that I did hear, a electrical buzz sound every now and then from the stereo. Never did find the cause of that. Could be related.

Just saying...

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017 at 6:08 PM
  12. duke

duke i like interco

That's a really well thought out and helpful post,but 10 hrs≠2 years. Op just bought a shitty battery and it died idk why this thread has turned into this silliness.

ScottZ71Lyfe likes this.
  13. kids-at-711

Every time I see you on FB your name doesnt register to me, you're still just Duke lol

duke likes this.
  14. ScottZ71Lyfe

ScottZ71Lyfe I Have Been Called Scottdawg420 Before

Sometimes I think his profile pic is actually him lol

duke likes this.
  15. Sewolf

Sewolf New Member

Sounds to me like someone never had a bug in their system before. Not everyone can afford to take it to the dealer when it decides to burp the wrong way. Sometimes you have to get dirty and look for the problem yourself.

16. ibanender

Maybe you didn't really understand his post. The original post was about a battery going dead after 2 years, twice. The long post was about his findings when it was getting killed in 10 hrs. 10 hrs vs 17,520 hrs. The scenarios are very very different. A dead battery in 10 hrs is a "bug", and most people will try to find a solution on their own before taking it to a dealership (or any other shop) out of warranty. That is what the original poster is doing, minus accepting the solutions offered.

duke likes this.
  17. duke

duke i like interco

Lol my favorite thing is when new guys think I'm actually a black guy.

ScottZ71Lyfe likes this.
  18. Heckwine

Heckwine GMFS Member

wait. you're not Gucci Mane?????

ScottZ71Lyfe likes this.
  19. kids-at-711

No, he's a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude. His real name is Duke.

Heckwine and ScottZ71Lyfe like this.