2006 LBZ

Discussion in 'Duramax Diesel' started by 2011SLT, Dec 3, 2016.

1. 2011SLT

2011SLT New Member

My local Chevy dealer just received a 2006 LBZ crew cab 4x4 on trade in. It has 112k miles, just a k&n air intake and that's it mod wise. They're asking 25k. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger and trading in my 2011 gasser. What are things I should look for before I buy it? Frame was undercoated but has a few rust spots, but not much at all. Thanks in advance guys

2. Kyles03

Kyles03 GMFS Senior Member

I would first check the injector balance rates, see if it has the pump rub fix. That's all I checked when I looked at mine, along with it checking out on the test drive.

3. IvanBlock

IvanBlock GMFS Member

Picking up an 06 this weekend. Injectors are balanced, has pump rub kit, 138k miles, full delete, EFI live tune, trans color lines replaced, full exhaust, and other goodies for $22,500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. 72blckbuty

72blckbuty Classic & NNBS Owner

No easy way to confirm this correct?

5. Kyles03

Kyles03 GMFS Senior Member

I don't think so, just see if they have proof it's been done.

6. nickma

nickma Preferred Vendor

Sounds like a pretty nice buy. Let us know how it goes!

7. elkhornson

elkhornson New Member

In early 2006 there were trucks produced with the LLY engine and I would avoid these. With the LBZ trucks the weaknesses were in the fuel supply and in the transmission. Having an LBZ altered (adding a chip, etc.) is going to shorten the life of the transmission so a stock truck is definitely preferable. Adding a lift pump is worth considering with this engine.

Diesel engines in pickups may last a long time, but not their injectors. Set aside $4,000 for an injector replacement as it will come up. Also not a good idea to change the fuel filters more often as a new filter is providing the least amount of particle filtration.

8. nickv

nickv jewish misanthropist

:snoopfacepalm: dude please dont post if you have no idea what you are talking about

1. there is nothing inherently different between a 2006 LLY and a 2006 LBZ. minor tuning and different badges on the door, that's it, can easily go to dealer and have them flash the ecm to LBZ tuning if you're so concerned. some claim headgaskets are different but ive heard all sorts of varying stuff on that and tbh nothing conclusive to ever support that

2. what fuel supply issues? CP3 injection pump is damn near bulletproof in stock form if you run non crap diesel and change your fuel filter on any sort of regular interval.

3. transmission weakness?? lmfao the 6 speed Allison stock for stock (power wise) is one of the best transmissions put into a pick up truck

4. depends entirely how you drive it and the type of tuning. janky bullydog POS on max power and then lettin er eat at any given opportunity will break your truck. that said lots of people with EFI Live tuning on trucks with hundreds of thousands of issue free miles. most people bag their trucks after being tuned and that's what breaks them (that and adding huge HP tuners, 120+ usually will limp tranny). i dont disagree that finding a stock truck is preferable, but that doesn't mean you should run away from a tuned truck

5. lift pump isn't really worth spending the money on unless you're running big power or really want extra filtration, otherwise waste of $600+

6. change your fuel filter every second oil change, run good diesel and every few tanks run an additive and your injectors in an LBZ will almost certainly outlast the truck. i don't disagree that it isn't smart to set aside $4000 for repairs when owning a diesel (stuff will break and cost a lot) but not many LBZ owners that treat their truck right ever have to change injectors

clayholz and Coreycompton22 like this.