2007 NNBS Silverado 1500 gas gauge isn't working properly

Discussion in 'Interior' started by mikewohlwend, Jan 12, 2018.

1. mikewohlwend

mikewohlwend New Member

Since I can't get an answer to this in the General Discussion section I'll post here too.

I have a 2007 NNBS Silverado 1500 LT, 5.3, Extended cab. That I had the fuel pump replaced in. Now the gas gauge isn't reading correctly. It shows the level of gas going up and down, but from a full that to 1/4 it goes down quickly. Then from 1/4 to E it travels very slow. I filled up last night and have driven around 60 miles and it's went down to 1/2. I can drive around 120 between 1/4 and 1/8.

It was under 1/8 when I filled up last night and it took around 18 gallons to fill it up.

Here is the fuel pump I used - https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/carquest-fuel-pump-assembly-m3496218/11646054-P

Does anyone have any ideas what's causing this?

2. LongGoneSilver

LongGoneSilver GMFS Member

If you just replaced the entire sending unit Im guessing its safe to assume theres nothing wrong there. Sounds like a voltage issue, the only wires you would have touched connect to the pump, right?, Id start by disconnecting the wires and making sure youre getting solid connections everywhere.

3. mikewohlwend

mikewohlwend New Member

I didn't change it. My neighbor did it for me while I couldn't. I'm changing the back shocks this weekend, so I'll poke around the gas tank and see what I find.

I put gas in it again today. It took 17 gallons and the gas light was already on. I set the trip odometer on my last fill up. Was getting around 16.5mpg.

4. LongGoneSilver

LongGoneSilver GMFS Member

Keep us updated with what you find. I said it sounds like a voltage issue, when what I should have said is that it sounds like a resistance issue. Hope you find something out.