2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT 4X4 Slow Build

Discussion in 'Under Construction' started by Zack Hutcheson, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Zack Hutcheson

Zack Hutcheson New Member

Hey guys, I'm fairly new here to GMFS and while hanging back in the shadows I have done my fair share of studying on the NNBS Silverados and I'm happy to say that I finally got my hands on one. My dad and I recently worked out a deal on his silver birch 2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT 4x4 5.3L and to my advantage he already put a few goodies on it. I planned to add several of these things anyway, so that'll save me some money in the long run. It currently has the following:

• 3.5" Rough Country lift
    • 305/55 tires on 20" LRG Splits
    • Pocket style fender flares (I know everyone hates them on here and I'm debating on removing them)
    • Magnaflow type dual exhaust
    • Line-X bed liner
    • Bed rail caps
    • Tinted windows
    • Cold air intake
    • 6000k low beams and fog lights
    • Range AFM disabling programmer
    • Kenwood touch screen radio
    • Removed lower valence

I do plan to change a few things on it, but it will take a little time to save up my mod money. Eventually, I am looking to give her a new stance with a 6" lift and 35s, I'm going to buy the split grille and color match it as well as the front bumper, and the door handles. I am going to buy some tow mirrors soon, and I would like to clear the headlights and change the 6000k bulbs to 5500s for more of the white look. I plan to add a 24" light bar to fill the gap in the front bumper, add LED reverse lights, and maybe go with some different wheels. Here is the most current picture as it sits, but when the weather gets better I will get out and take some pictures that are better quality. Thanks for reading and if anyone can think of any other common mods that I am forgetting please don't hesitate to share your thoughts. God bless!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  2. Zack Hutcheson

FullSizeR.jpg

3. low2thaearth

low2thaearth GMFS Member

Good starting point man. Congrats on the new truck. It Has potential. I would lose flares and steps for a cleaner look. Plus losing steps will make it look slightly taller. Wheels aren't as bad as I thought when reading details before I saw pic. Your plans sound good so far. I would also remove z71 badge. The RC 3.5" kit is frowned upon on the forum due to shitty angles up front. Look forward to progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Zack Hutcheson

I plan to take the steps off today if I get some time on my day off. I honestly didn't like the wheels a whole lot when my dad bought the truck, but they have grown on me and will suffice for now until I can buy the wheels that I really want. The RC 3.5" wouldn't have been my first choice either, but that was also on the truck when he bought it. The way I look at it is atleast it is a small lift until I can get the 6 incher on there.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  5. ALLTERRAIN

ALLTERRAIN k2XX Owner

Demold, clear headlights

6. Zack Hutcheson

I'm not a fan of demolding, I think it looks too plain. And I do plan to clear the headlights in the future.

7. Pearl2012

Pearl2012 Not low enough

Remove flares, steps and z71 stickers. CM the handles/mirror caps and clear headlights.

its not a bad looking truck as is tho, but I do think those flares are killing it

8. Graystone

Graystone Mmm Sandwich

Needs less flares and either more cm or less black wheels

9. ALLTERRAIN

ALLTERRAIN k2XX Owner

Body molding is certainly killing the look.

DeanH1290 likes this.
  10. Zack Hutcheson

Got home this morning and took off the fender flares and side steps. I'm going to have to have the scratches touched up where the fender flares rubbed up against it overtime. The moldings are staying, but the Z71 sticker and the rear bow tie is going bye bye.

IMG_7266.JPG

11. ALLTERRAIN

ALLTERRAIN k2XX Owner

Remove the sinful shit colored molding. You'll grow to love it without.

DeanH1290 likes this.
  12. Pearl2012

Pearl2012 Not low enough

Looks so much better already

Zack Hutcheson likes this.
  13. 98BlackSierra

98BlackSierra Lifelong Chevy Owner

Pretty sharp truck to start with. I'm not sure I'm a fan of the wheel, but if you like them great. Should look good with the colormatching you have planned.

14. Zack Hutcheson

I'm hoping to buy some Fuel Mavericks or the black FUEl Nutz one of these days

15. Zack Hutcheson

I got my tow mirrors in today and had them on the truck in less than an hour! Installing the color matched handles took much longer, but were well worth it. I have recently been studying up on Junkmans beginner's guide to polishing and all I can say is WOW, that dude has it going on! I have been doing a lot of things wrong when it comes to detailing, but now that I have watched his video series I plan to buy the polisher and all of the other things he recommended to do some paint correction on my truck. Unfortunately, the mods on the truck may come to a short stall until I land all of the detailing and polishing equipment unless I can catch some overtime shifts at work!

IMG_7327.JPG

IMG_7328.JPG

sschup1130 and BigBlue02HD like this.
  16. Foltzwagn

Foltzwagn GMFS Member

Wow, What a difference a few small changes can make. I say throw some oem 20's on with spacers and clear the headlights. Also remove the Z71 stickers like you planned. So far so good though.

17. Zack Hutcheson

I know right? The handles and tows made such a big difference and gives it more of an aggressive look! I've been meaning to take the Z71 off and I keep getting busy with other things, but that is next on my list. I want to do the headlights soon as well. How hard is the clearing process? Do you know of any members on here that still clear them for others who don't have the guts to cut into their own headlights?

18. Foltzwagn

Foltzwagn GMFS Member

I've witnessed a friend melt the shit out of one trying to take it apart so be careful lol. I'm sure there are plenty of diy's around to do it. Just take your time.

19. Pearl2012

Pearl2012 Not low enough

There's a video on YouTube that shows how to cut them open. I finally convinced myself to do it and it wasn't all that bad, took a weekend to do. My first time so wasn't perfect but from 5 feet away it is lol

20. Zack Hutcheson

I will search for it and see if it's something that I want to attempt. I would almost rather buy a new set since mine are getting a little foggy anyways, send the new set to someone who does a legit job on it and then attempt it myself on my old set. That way if I screw up then I'm not waiting for a new set of headlights to come in.