2019???!!!

Discussion in 'Duramax Diesel' started by GWP_SC, May 17, 2017.

1. GWP_SC

GWP_SC GMFS Member

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2017/03/spied-2019-chevrolet-silverado-1500.html

Should they come out with a diesel half ton in 2019 how excited will yall be to buy one? I bought a 6.2 denali and after towing the Ranger to the Kansas hunting camp I instantly regretted it. Don;t get me wrong that truck will flat out fly and has some serious get up and go but having to get up to 4k for your torque to kick in will down some fuel. I got 9mpg towing MAYBE 5k for 500 miles. So I really wish I had a diesel for times like that but knowing that I dont want a big, bulky, heavy 3/4 ton made me reconsider a used duramax which is why I chose the denali. Now if there was a 300hp/500ft/lb diesel option or heck, even and ecoboost-esque engine option I would have been all over it. And my father in law has a 16 ecoboost and it towed a crew cab ranger on a 4' longer trailer twice as easy. Now I would gap him on a drag race but he killed me on the towing.

A half ton diesel may not happen, especially if epa regs aren't rolled back a little, but a twin turbo/compound turbo engine option would definitely entice me to buy a new truck in 2019

AND FOR GOSH SAKES IM TIRED OF 3.07 & 3.24 GEARS!!! GIVE ME MY 4.10/3.73 BACK

2. fiatdale

fiatdale GM

Theres been rumors of a half ton diesel for YEARS. I was shocked when they put it in the Colorado. Time will tell if they actually do it in a half ton.

3. GWP_SC

GWP_SC GMFS Member

I know they were extremely close before they went bankrupt. But emissions and fuel prices have hurt its viability. But if we had some of these crazy emissions requirements rolled back it would definitely be worth it to me.

Side note, we have the absolute strictest emissions. Europe doesn't have half the emissions requirements we have which is why they have diesels everywhere with 60mpgs

4. B_Pier

B_Pier GMFS Member

I hope they capitalize on their new steel-to-aluminum welding tech and keep the actual bed interior steel while making the bedsides aluminum. That way they don't catch a ton of shit after their generous bashing of Ford when they switched to aluminum.

I also have seen there the headlights are going to be LED reflectors or jewels like in the Escalade, only horizontal, so that should be interesting to see.

5. barrrf

barrrf Website QC

Well Ram has it. Ford has it in 2018. Seems about right for GM to slide in when it's too late.

Billy95 and Tim W like this.
  6. nickv

nickv jewish misanthropist

I'm not sold on the 1/2 ton diesel thing. What are guys in the real world getting running empty or towing in EcoDiesels? Does it really offset the more expensive initial purchase, maintenance, and cost to fix relative to a gas 1/2 ton? As well, you're still only limited to what the 1/2 itself can safely tow, which is usually much less than what any 5.3 or 6.2L can pull fine. Just seems like more of a novelty of having a diesel while still retaining your grocery getter 1500.

I don't see any ecodiesel getting much better than maybe 11-12 mpg towing 5k lbs anyway (hell my Duramax has 5k lb trailer hooked to the back of it right now, and I get maybe 13 mpg rolling down the highway with it on the back), so compared to your 6.2L getting 9 mpg, you're going to have to drive a lot of miles to make that extra 3 miles to every gallon to get the diesel to pay for itself, esp when diesel fuel's more expensive

Still, might be cool tho. I bet a deleted one would be a killer truck. Toss out that DEF and DPF and replace with a good free flowing exhaust, block the EGR, put some decent little tunes on 'em, and I bet they could really get some great MPG while having some good torque on tap.

WillyPaul likes this.
  7. barrrf

barrrf Website QC

Well, my boss has one and my BFF builder friend has one. Boss get 22mpg around town, never really tows anything. Friend get 18 towing his Mastercraft Maristar around. So, youre opinion isnt quite correct here.

I see your point, but its all based on conjecture.

8. B_Pier

B_Pier GMFS Member

6.2's need 91+ octane, which costs more than diesel around me. If a 1/2 ton diesel could get around 20 mpg average, it would make sense for a lot of people, myself included.

9. GWP_SC

GWP_SC GMFS Member

I have a company fuel card so I put 91/93 in it anyways. But I know that means I dont care about the fuel mileage but being able to make the trip to kansas on one tank is better than stopping just for fuel. Also the 6.2 costs about as much as a diesel would cost at purchase.

I get that whole diesel vs gas cost of maintenance bs, but there is a reason why people vastly out purchase diesel trucks in ford, ram, gm HD trucks. They are just a crap ton better engines regardless of cost. If the whole maintenance argument was that big of a deal I promise companies like Halliburton wouldn't have a fleet of literally hundreds of thousands of Powerstroke fords. The benefits of efficiently and effectively completing work is more profitable than saving a little money at purchase and on fuel when a gas engine wears out at 75000mi from hard work.

I would wait a year for the problems to be worked out but I would definitely purchase a diesel. Confidently towing with a diesel is way better than towing at 4 grand with a gas any way you cut it.

10. barrrf

barrrf Website QC

Hundreds of thousands eh............

Billy95 likes this.
  11. GWP_SC

GWP_SC GMFS Member

Hundreds or thousandS

12. GWP_SC

GWP_SC GMFS Member

Deleted I don't see any way they won't be worth it.

And at the very least I want a v8 turbo ecoboost killer. Maybe the 4.8 comes back to full that or just a high compression 5.3 with turbos maybe a compound setup.

13. Graystone

Graystone Mmm Sandwich

This thread is all over the place.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

14. Copperhead

Copperhead GMFS Member

It may get put on hold even longer now that lawsuits have been filed that GM played games with emissions on the Dmax like VW did. The fun never ends. Yes, that was sarcasm.

15. NelsonBuilt

NelsonBuilt New Member

I'm about to buy a 2500HD Duramax, but would honestly prefer to have a diesel in a 1/2 ton instead for my purposes.

Diesel in 1/2 will finally happen as long as fuel doesn't shoot back up. It was about to happen back in 08 before everything went to hell.

And the emission stuff is not that bad regarding performance like many hype it up to be. It's an annoyance, but you don't need to delete these newer diesels to still get good performance out of a quality tune.