4WD Wheel hub upgrade question

Discussion in 'Lifted Suspension & Offroad' started by Fzr1483, Jan 11, 2018.

Sponsored By: Tim's Suspension Online
  1. Fzr1483

Fzr1483 New Member

Hi all, noob on the forum here. I have a an 09 Avy, all stock at the moment. The driver front wheel bearing is shot after 50k mi on this set. I've seen from multiple threads that the OEM wheel bearings are a weak spot on these trucks.

I work oilfield and drive 30k + a year with maybe 10% of the mileage on dirt. Nothing hardcore, but the lease roads can get really washboarded. I'm sure all that bouncing puts more stress on the bearings, well all the suspension. Given those conditions, apparently my mileage on stock wheel bearings isn't bad. But it's been less than 2 years since I've replaced them which is really annoying.

My biggest concern is that I'm going to start a mid travel travel build and will be putting 0mm offset rims with 33s on the truck soon. Moving the wheels outboard with a larger tire is only going to put more stress on the bearings.

Right now I've come up Timken hubs as the best bet. I've seen plenty of good reviews on them. Just wanted to get a feel for from other users personal mileage. Will they hold up with bigger wheels and higher offset.

Does anyone know of any other upgrade option? I've seen blitzkrieg and camburg hubs, but they are $$$$ and for 2wd only.

2. Phildirt

Phildirt n. fil-dert.

My Timkens have held up to 33s on 17x9s with zero offset and 1.5" spacers for a year so far. On a Burb so probably a little heavier. Not really a long term review but I trust them.

Fzr1483 likes this.
  3. LongGoneSilver

LongGoneSilver GMFS Member

Not exactly 100% relevant, but when I had a corvette I replaced all the hubs with timkens and I was really pleased with them. I would drive it pretty hard (think autox) and they held up great. The corvette guys hold them in pretty high regard, Ive never heard anything bad about timkens for any application.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  4. Fzr1483

Fzr1483 New Member

Thanks for reply guys. I will probably go with Timkens. They're pretty well priced too.

5. Rocket Man

Rocket Man GMFS Member

I've never heard of a Timken going out. They're what I decided to go with.

6. kids-at-711

kids-at-711 Sexually identifies as a shopping cart.

30k on 35x12.5's, front driver side is still factory with 190k on it, passenger side is a moog with 7k on it. The moog slung grease out, but has held up fine, I check it regularly.

7. Loki

Loki Knuckle Buster

i'm a huge Timken fan...plus their warranty is awesome.

8. Gator

Gator Married and broke

Rockauto.com for the Timken’s