Question 5.3 oil leak

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by hetzler_l33, Jan 8, 2017.

1. hetzler_l33

hetzler_l33 New Guy

Alright guys, I just noticed this past week that I have an oil leak. It's either the pan or the rear main seal but not too sure. If you guys could examine the pictures and give your input, I'd appreciate that. Thanks for any help![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. John Clark

John Clark GMFS Member

It doesn't look like a rear main seal to me. Oil always travels down and in the direction the fan blows so I'd look toward the front and see if you see any signs of possibly the front crank seal leaking. It looks like possibly something higher than the pan and/or further forward.

3. SLEEPER VAN

SLEEPER VAN GMFS Member

First off I'd clean up the whole area really well. Crawling under and wiping down everything. Then drive as you normally would. At the end of the day crawl under and start looking for a wet spot or seeping. Do this for five or six days noting each day where and how much leaking there is. It might take you more than a week or just a couple of days to find out where the problem is. It might be a leaking intake manifold or a valve cover gasket. Get yourself a little extendable mirror and a bright pen light to chase down your problem.
    Good Luck with the Hunt! Sleeper Van Tony

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

4. hetzler_l33

hetzler_l33 New Guy

I didn't think it'd be the rear main but I wasn't too sure. I'll look further up because the front of the pan is dry, it starts about 6 inches from the front and works it's way back so I'm assuming it's higher up. I'll look at the valve cover and the oil pressure sender also. As SLEEPER VAN stated I should do, I'll degrease the contaminated area and check for leaks between destinations. I'll note where I see spots and the area it covers. How hard is it to do the front crank seal? I've never seen it done before. Thanks for your advice gentlemen!

5. John Clark

John Clark GMFS Member

Yes, clean it up and then watch it, but do a close inspection first so you know where to look after it's all cleaned up. I usually use brake cleaner for this. Works great. Then drive around for a while, as suggested.

6. SLEEPER VAN

SLEEPER VAN GMFS Member

The front seal is in the timing chain cover. You would have to remove everything in the way of getting to it, pull the balancer, loosen up the oil pan bolts and remove the one's closest to the cover then pry it down and put a shim of some kind to pull the front of the pan down then remove the timing chain cover. If it's not to much for you remove the oil pan completely and then the timing cover. The first way I disscribed is if it's a big project to remove the oil pan. While you have the cover off check out the timing chain. If it's loose at all replace it with the gears. It's not to expensive and you don't want to cover up a loose chain! Reassembly is just the reverse and the crank seal in the timing cover is simple to replace. Don't forget to grease up the new seal so it won't burn on the crank upon startup. Also it'll be a bit of a bitch to get the cover back on if you didn't remove the oil pan. Try putting rtv on the pan and the gasket to act like a lube so the cover can pop back into place.

hetzler_l33 likes this.
  7. hetzler_l33

hetzler_l33 New Guy

Thank you for the info Tony, I appreciate it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. SLEEPER VAN

SLEEPER VAN GMFS Member