5.3 Oil Pump Help

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Bustnuckle, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Bustnuckle

Bustnuckle GMFS Member

Good news my friends. That damn pulley came loose. Wish I would have watched that specific video yesterday lol. But that’s how it goes when you do a certain job the first time. Rocket Thankyou very much for showing me that video. The modified bolt and Chrysler puller worked like a charm man! Unfortunately tonight I just have enough time left to pull the timing cover and look around at the pump and everything. Then I’ll slap the cover back on since I won’t be able to continue until tomorrow after Work. Been out in the garage for two days and it’s becoming family time. Which is cool. I’m happy I got that pulley off. Now it should be smoother sailing hopefully but like 06gm said that pump could be a biatch to line up. I will find out tomorrow haha. You guys are all awesome and I am very thankful for all your input. It really would have been hard without you guys. I still have about 70% of the job left but I think the worst is behind me :) let’s hope. I’ll keep y’all updated tomorrow.

And when I finally get to put that pulley back I’ll heat it up in the oven and slide it back on and do the whole old bolt/ new bolt and torque process that’s stated here in the Haynes manual. Hopefully my wife doesn’t kill me for putting a truck part in the oven lol I can already see her face hahahaha. Oh and I ripped my jeans getting down off the stepladder. Thought you guys might Laugh.

4AC3A69E-13BC-4F02-AB21-484B660AB377.jpeg
    Tools that made it Happen. Yes that ordinary 1/4” de Walt busted it.
    EC1B070A-7196-4FD7-97B9-DFEB119D6FB5.jpeg
    The infamous shaved bolt
    C64C8623-5AEA-4FB5-8476-2397D98565AB.jpeg
    My view for tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks everyone! If there’s any way I can return the help please don’t hesitate! Be back tomorrow afternoon

LongGoneSilver and hetzler_l33 like this.
  2. Rocket Man

Rocket Man GMFS Member

That's awesome! Glad it worked. Just be absolutely sure when you're installing the pump that you line it up as you're fitting it on the intake tube and don't pinch the O-ring. That's the most critical step and one that many have made the mistake on. If you pinch or nick the o-ring, you'll lose oil pressure and have to do it all over.

Bustnuckle likes this.
  3. Bustnuckle

Bustnuckle GMFS Member

Rocket

Thankyou for that technique I will be definetly thinking about that while I’m installing the pump and pickup tube. I know that part of it has to be slow and methodical. Yea according to videos and yourself I’m in for a good one with that o ring... I will be installing the green one the melling pump came with. Definetly don’t want to do this over you know. Ha..

Rocket Man likes this.
  4. hetzler_l33

hetzler_l33 New Guy

Finally! Only took 2 days lol. I’ve replaced the pickup tube o-ring before, it’s pretty easy honestly. As long as you put the tube in straight and pay attention to what you’re doing then you’ll have no problems. IIRC I put some motor oil around the o-ring to help it go in and not snag on anything. Just ease it in at first and try to get a feel for it.

Glad you’ve gotten that pulley off though, enjoy your family time and just tell your wife you’re baking a cake or something

Bustnuckle likes this.
  5. Rocket Man

Rocket Man GMFS Member

Are you talking about with the pan and pickup tube removed? He's not pulling the pan; that makes it a bit harder. He has to slide the pump onto the tube at the same time he's installing the pump. I've heard it can be tricky but I've never dome it that way.

Bustnuckle likes this.
  6. hetzler_l33

hetzler_l33 New Guy

Yes with the pan off but it works the same way around because the tube is bolted down. I understand he’s not taking the pan off but the angle on the tube and the angle on the pump should be the same so sliding the whole pump on should help fit everything together.

I can see how it may be harder but it’s nothing near impossible, but like you, I haven’t done it the other way around either though

Also, Bustnuckle, I don’t know the weather where or you live but I see in your pictures you’re outside and it’s 20 degrees here with a 15mph wind. I get a chill just seeing you working on your truck outside!

Bustnuckle and Rocket Man like this.
  7. Bustnuckle

Bustnuckle GMFS Member

Hetz. Thanks man haha. Yea I’ll be lubing and lining everything up haha. I don’t have a spare melling o ring so going to make sure I do that part right. And don’t we all ease it in at first?? Lol whoa! Yes and I’ll tell my wife it’s a cake. It’s round right? Haha

Rocket. Yes that’s the idea I’m getting from the videos. The pickup and pump kinda all together nice and easy like. Definetly one of those things easier said than done. I am ready and worried about it but it’s all good.

Hetz that would not be fun weather to work in man. I used to live in Montana and working on the truck outside was just frozen hands and busted knuckles lol. And cursing. But that’s normal. But I live in Southern California in the Coachella valley. It’s a big hot ass desert. We hardly get a winter man. For example today, middle of January, on my way to work at 530am it’s 52 degrees. Abnormally warm actually. But yea it doesn’t ever really drop below 30 here, if it does it’s just like 3 hours in the morning then it jumps back to 70-75 ... yesterday when I was outside it was a awesome 75 allll day man. It’s perfect weather for a few months but it’s deathly hot for a long time here as well. We’re talkin 110-120 degrees all summer. Try working on your truck then. Cant even hold parts or sockets sweaty everything lol. I guess you could say I’m acclimated tho. Been working out side since I was 14.
    Here’s a pic from the back of the shop just to show you. It’s almost always sunny and nice. Until April. Lol

Thanks guys !
    47728ECA-CE43-46C2-9FC9-6A3FB54FA308.jpeg

8. hetzler_l33

hetzler_l33 New Guy

Looks like there are some nice views where you live, too bad it’s Cali where there are laws for literally everything lol. Montana doesn’t sound too fun though, but I bet it’s not the same cold as down here in the south. At least your “winter” has a set temperature range. Where I live it can be 20 Monday then 53 Tuesday. I don’t even know if the animals and bugs know what to do anymore hahah.

Anyway, at least I know you’re dealing with perfect weather to work on your truck and still not bust a sweat. Kinda makes me jelly but at least I don’t have to work on mine...yet

Bustnuckle likes this.
  9. Bustnuckle

Bustnuckle GMFS Member

Yea man Cali is not fun no joke. Especially if your a firearms enthusiast like myself. Yea the predictable weather is cool. That would be strange where you live 23 then 53 haha how are you supposed to get used to that man! Yes be thankful your not replacing an oil pump anytime soon.

Yesterday I wasn’t able to even look at the truck. Sunday either. With work and soccer games and everything I think my best bet is to be able to devote about 7-8 hours on Friday again. That way I can just do my thing and not try to rush thru things. But don’t worry I’ll keep you updated with my awesome pictures and banter :) hahaha ttyl hetz! Leaving for work in 30. Yayyyyyyy

hetzler_l33 likes this.
  10. Bustnuckle

Bustnuckle GMFS Member

Hetz and rocket and 06gm and bigblue

Hello again boys. It’s that time of week again! Off work tomorrow and wife is taking kids to school so I can finish that damn Chevy!! I’m happy it’s finally going to be Friday. I’ll post some pics of my headache tomorrow sometime. Wish me luck!

hetzler_l33 and Rocket Man like this.
  11. Rocket Man

Rocket Man GMFS Member

Good luck sir.

Bustnuckle likes this.
  12. Bustnuckle

Bustnuckle GMFS Member

Thanks rocket. I’m ready... lol

13. hetzler_l33

hetzler_l33 New Guy

Ehhh you got it, the rest should be pretty straight forward with some patience. If you do have any problems the people here will help in any way, they’re good people.

Anyway, let’s go off topic a bit. You mentioned you were a firearm enthusiast? What kind of weapons do you have if you don’t mind me asking?

Bustnuckle likes this.
  14. Bustnuckle

Bustnuckle GMFS Member

Yes I think the worst is behind me. I’m ok with wrestling the oil pump and tube for an hour to get it right. I’m just about to start here soon.

Well hetz I’ve got a decent collection going. I’m into military surplus so I’ve collected a few versions of the Mosin nagant rifle because they are tough as shit and with a little tweaking are accurate and that 7.62x54 packs a wallop. So a couple of the 91/30’s and a couple m39 variants (my favorite) I’ve got a couple tokarev t33 pistols that are sweet little baby’s. A Makarov pistol. An old Russian sks dated 1956.
    Like I said I love military surplus cause they are cheap and tough and all metal and wood. No plastic there! Haha. I’d love to aquire a few more specific firearms. Mostly from the US side now but they are a lot more expensive so in time :)

I have some modern stuff too that I love. A Ruger ranch rifle in .223 that is a tack driver and has that garand based action that is smooth. I’ve got a Taurus .357 revolver. A beretta 92fs that is a love affair as well. And lemme see a couple .22 rifles and a pistol to eventually teach the kids to shoot one day plus who doesn’t love a .22 right. I’ve got my grandfathers 100+ year old .22 that I learned to shoot on and I restored a few years back. It’s still accurate as heck. And I picked up a couple black powder civil war era revolvers cause them shits are fun if your feeling like it. I like to buy the old military surplus guns dirty and covered in cosmoline and I have a system where I bring them back to their glory days and restore them. And yes I definetly go shoot them I ain’t no girl with wall hangers. ( no offense to anyone with wall hangers)

Yea that pretty much is it. 10 years of collecting as I call it. Maybe a long time from now when I have extra money I’ll be able to get a smith 686 and a few other military guns. But I’m tapped out for the time being. What about you? In AL I bet you can have all kinds of fun toys. Here in Cali it’s a joke man. Anyways coffee is done and old silver is calling my name. It wants to get yelled at all day again. Haha

15. hetzler_l33

hetzler_l33 New Guy

Yeah the imported surplus is a good way to get into collecting plus they’re reliable and ammo is dirt cheap. You’ve got a nice collection started, I’ve been looking at some mosins but recently the price has gone up and whatever is left is mostly junk. A lot of them are worn out.

I love my firearms too and I wish I had my own range so I could shoot every day lol. My prized possession is my M1 Garand (it’s not correct by any means, it’s just a shooter.) the receiver (SA) dates to December 1942 and I had the matching barrel but it turns out the barrel was meant for blanks so sadly I had to get a later Springfield barrel put on. It has new CMP furniture along with a magnesium phosphate re-park and it looks pretty good. I have a bayonet for it as well, because the thing looks great so why not? Hahah.

Other than that I have a Romanian-G AK kit that I built with the date of 1982. Never been shot. Got a great deal but it was missing some furniture and a couple trigger group components. I got the Magpul Moe furniture along with the mag, new single hook trigger, the newer “shepherds staff,” new slim front sight post, and replaced the regular flash hider with one off a Hungarian AMD-65. I used an older style stamped receiver but I decided to try the screw kit instead of rivets. Looks pretty sweet. Oh and I got it re-parked as well.

Also just your regular AR platforms in 300 AAC Blackout and 5.56 NATO and bolt actions. I have a Kahr CW40 I carry around. I have a couple .22s, one is Russian and is a bolt action but the other is a semi-auto mossberg. Nothing special haha. What I’m looking at next is an M1 Carbine, they’re not ridiculous with the price for a USGI shooter and man are they fun to shoot.

Dream weapon is a BAR, I have never seen one in person and the parts are insanely hard to find so that most likely won’t happen hahah. For now I’m sticking with what I have, the 30-06 surplus prices are skyrocketing from shortages.

I have a contact here that does everything with WW2, Vietnam, and is getting into the AR stuff and he can do an M1 build for around 900. It’s been a while since I’ve gotten something there so it may be more or less but he’s where I’ve gotten all my surplus from.

Sorry for going off topic, just curious about what other people have in their safe lol.

LongGoneSilver and Bustnuckle like this.
  16. Bustnuckle

Bustnuckle GMFS Member

Well boys after much cursing and slow going I got the pickup bolt and pump off the damn thing. Wow that is a real test of patience right ther. I f’ed with that pickup tube bolt for a good hour but I was working with the tools i have. Didn’t want to go buy those locking hemostats all the videos had? Anyways the bolt was a real pain then trying to shimmy the pump off the crank snout and the tube was another fun time. Anyways this is how far I’ve gotten in about 4 hours lol. But I’m not rushing, plus I watched a few videos because this shit was definetly a test of paitnece. I gotta eat something and stretch my back a different way since I spent a good two hours hunched over under the truck and up in the engine bay. I barely got in there jeez. I’m too old to bend like that. Lol. Here’s some pics for fun. I’ll post back in a few hours after I’ve continued.

Oh and hetz I’ll get back to you about the firearms later tonight if that’s cool man. I quickly read thru your post and I’m excited to talk about all that too. :)

72E26980-C0C2-48EA-AE99-DD4A8BE85E3C.jpeg

hetzler_l33 likes this.
  17. Bustnuckle

Bustnuckle GMFS Member

2C5344F9-248D-4E66-841E-219B7D9FB3E7.jpeg
    Here it all is. The internals of the pump looked fine. No scoring or anything really I would consider more than normal wear?
    8675679A-FFA4-4D51-ABF4-8CDC0A03C9AD.jpeg
    Even the o ring came off intact and pliable. Usually they crumble ?
    96D88C1A-6BCD-48FD-9FE5-53D161A222BE.jpeg
    This bolt will seriously screw you. Haha get it?!!! Sorry...
    4575EC6C-97DD-4131-934D-E61343760F20.jpeg
    Inside the belly of the beast. Those small pliers were my only friend. One of the two pairs I put in my vise and bent the nose about 45 degrees and those were a lifesaver.
    CE3F6A98-8282-408A-8C7E-867E3B50CE65.jpeg
    I hate that tube. I can’t wait to put it all back together and struggle again for a couple hours. BUT after I get it on there with the tube in I will be home free boys yaaaaaaa!

Everyone loves pictures right!
    Thanks for helping out and reading all my bs guys.

18. Bustnuckle

Bustnuckle GMFS Member

ALSO

Was going to re use the same timing cover gasket. It’s stuck on there pretty good and pretty clean. I have a fel pro replacement but I could return it? What are your guys opinions on re using it??

hetzler_l33 likes this.
  19. Rocket Man

Rocket Man GMFS Member

That's what I was saying- it's hard to get the pump on or off the crank at the same time as the pickup tube. Just be super careful with the O-ring when you're putting it back on obviously. I forgot to warn you about that bolt but I'm glad you didn't drop it into the pan. You'll get it, just take your time.

Bustnuckle likes this.
  20. hetzler_l33

hetzler_l33 New Guy

Well look at that, more progress and a step closer to being done haha. That was a terrible pun about the bolt man...I think the bolt may have screwed with your head...I had to, sorry.

Anyway, get your project done so you can be back riding high through the streets lol. I’d go ahead and replace the timing cover gaskets because it’s been through so many heat cycles already plus if you don’t and it leaks, you’ll have to fight the crank pulley again. That’s enough motivation hahah.

Looking good man

Bustnuckle likes this.