55-58 Chevy Truck Project

Discussion in 'Under Construction' started by Bam55, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Bam55

Bam55 GMFS Member

Hello guys I'm new here and decided a nice way to introduce myself is to show you the project I've been working on. Its taking longer than I thought but things got out of hand with the mods.

Here is what I started with.

1958 Chevy Big Window I only bought it for the cab. I bought it from a guy that kept it

in a trailer park.

[​IMG]

So I’ll start with the frame I install a Mustang II, 4 link and c-notched the rear of the frame.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I made a frame rotisserie out of two engine stands to get the frame ready for paint.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Bam55

Bam55 GMFS Member

8.5 Chevy Rearend Narrowed to 58 inches (mounting point to mounting point) with moser housing ends and axles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had to modify the caliper bracket and the axles retainer to install my disc brakes. Here is what I came up with.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rearend completed . I cut those micky mouse ears off the rearend to make it clear the bed floor and it also looks better.

[​IMG]

3. Bam55

Bam55 GMFS Member

I had to redo the c-notch for more clearance for a lower stance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Bam55

Bam55 GMFS Member

There was extensive rust damage on this cab but I wanted a big window cab and I had to have it.lol I should have waited because I ended up building a cab.lol I had to replace both cab corners, the steps and rockers, floors, and the roof.

Cab corners replaced

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Steps replaced

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Floor replaced

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Roof replaced.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Door Repair

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Bam55

Bam55 GMFS Member

58 Fender repair

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After all this work I knew what I really wanted was a 55-56 truck. I have a 55 210 and I always wanted twins.lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I decided to change the front clip to a 55. How it came about was a friend challenged me to fix some terrible 55 fenders and they came out nice so I said why not.

55 Fenders

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Roscoe968 likes this.
  6. Bam55

Bam55 GMFS Member

Okay now for the custom mods I added which are.

55 Chevy car dash

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shaved parking lights

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shaved drip rails

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Smooth the vent cover

[​IMG]

Shaved gas filler

[​IMG]

Shaved firewall

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Roscoe968 likes this.
  7. Bam55

Bam55 GMFS Member

3rd brake light

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rounded door corners

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rounded front and rear bed corners

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Bam55

Bam55 GMFS Member

Mini tubs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shaved door hands and bearclaws latches installed in reverse because I want the solenoid in the cab corner instead of at the bottom of the door.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7-55 1st Series Chevy Truck Battery access door.

[​IMG]

9. Bam55

Bam55 GMFS Member

Pancaked the hood.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Smoothing the Steps

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ALLTERRAIN and Roscoe968 like this.
  10. Bam55

Bam55 GMFS Member

A couple of mock up pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Installed the No Limit Flip Hood Kit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyway guys here is the boring stuff I've been working on but you said you wanted pics. I had to add some round tubing to the front the door to get it right. I think it will look decent once I grind down the welds and make it flow on the edge. Man the door fitment on these things leaves much to be desired.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Bam55

Bam55 GMFS Member

I thought since I rounded the doors in the front and shaved the drip rails I mightiest well go all the way and round the rear of the doors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I welded up the seam in this area. I then used Duraglass over the welds to smooth everything out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A little primer and I like it much better than that unfinished look that came from the factory.

[​IMG]

Its getting there I guess I'll keep chipping away at it inch by inch.

[​IMG]

This was my first time using this product, a buddy of mine told me to try it. I decided to try it on my dash to fill some minor imperfections. I liked it so much I did the roof also.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Bam55

Bam55 GMFS Member

You can never have enough good fenders. I had a mess up fender laying around and a new repoped fender that someone gave me. The repop fender fitment was horrible so I decided to use it as a patch panel. I have a passenger fender that I already primed but when I checked the fitment I like the mess up fender a little better. So I decided to fix the fender and use which ever one I like the best when I put the truck back together. Or I just used it as an excuse to weld something together.lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is what is left of a new fender that I used for patch panels because the fitment was so bad. I used the rear for another fender for a buddy. It still has some use so I will not throw it out. It still has a good brace, eyebrow, and front and top panel. Somebody may need a piece of it so I will keep it. I know too many hotrodders to throw it out. I don't know about the other new fenders, but the fitment for this one was garbage.

[​IMG]

Here is the fender after metal finishing.

[​IMG]

Fenders in primer, still needs to be blocked but they are coming along.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Bam55

Bam55 GMFS Member

I got the sectioned hood in primer. It was a lot of hammer and dolly work but here it is.

Oh yeah I had to make a brace for the sectioned hood. I made it out of 1 inch wide and 1/4 thick flat stock. Making it flow with the radius of the side of the hood took some thought but it came out decent.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well I decided to start getting the rear fenders ready for primer. I wanted to use these for the truck because they were giving to me by a buddy who bought new ones and he has passed away (He knew they were rough but did not want to throw them away). So I wanted something of his on the truck, so I went to through the trouble of saving them. My question is do you know what evils lives under your primer.

Bondo, bondo, bondo.

[​IMG]

This is what was under all that bondo

[​IMG]

This is what I had to cut away. Yikes

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yeah thats another fender in that background covered in bondo also.lol

14. Bam55

Bam55 GMFS Member

I had some front fenders that I've been gutting that provided the majority of the patch panel. A little tweaking and they worked fine. That little rust spot that was left I just formed my hand.

[​IMG]

I used a 3/32 2% ceriated tungsten and 1/16 filler rod and tried to keep the smallest HAZ I could. Tig welding sheetmetal is great, you can see how low the bead profile is and some of the metal finishing I started. Man you can hammer and dolly that HAZ to your hearts desire.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here it is, almost ready for primer a little more welding and hammer and dolly work to do and very little filler will be needed now.lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Over the years these trucks were really used and used hard.lol Man this fender has dents and digs all along the top area. I used a big red marker to color in the top which I will block sand to see the highs and lows.

[​IMG]

Weapons of choice

[​IMG]

I also made this slapper and find it does a great job.

[​IMG]

On the back side you must choose a dolly that is very close to the contour of the sheet metal.

[​IMG]

After sanding here is what I had

[​IMG]

After the first use of my slapper and dolly I sanded again and here what I have. As you can see the low area is getting smaller. Sanding between hammer and dolly work shows me were I need to concentrate.

[​IMG]

15. Bam55

Bam55 GMFS Member

Worked some more and sanded and had this.

[​IMG]

Here what I accomplished the first day, still a lot of work to do but a fender that most would have trashed or covered with way too much filler will be used with very little filler when done. After I remove all the major of the dents I will red marker again and try to fix all the imperfections. All the red markets that are left need to be worked but as you can see there is a world of difference.

[​IMG]

It just takes patience and work.

Undercoated the bottom of the cab with a bedliner kit. I will also be spraying it on the interior floor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I welded up all the interior seams and grind them smooth to give it that smooth and finished look that was lacking from the factory. I got it in primer and now it needs to be blocked sanded. I'm happy with the look so far. It was a lot of work but I've been told many times that the devil is in the details.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I mocked up the hydroboost unit and plumbed the brake lines.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know its over kill but I base coat cleared the gas tank just because. No other reason.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Bam55

Bam55 GMFS Member

Here is the tank installed between the frame rails.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Corvette filter/regulator installed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Modified the tank a little for the in-tank fuel pump and lines.

[​IMG]

I knew I had to raise my bed floor 2 inches due to my c-notches. I was looking in metal yard for some scrape tubing and I could not find anything I liked, I decided to make my own 2 inch spacers. I try to keep things simple it makes life easier, but of course I will have to move the angle strips on the bed up 2 inches so that bed sits in the same spot as factory.

I will use the bolt to hold the washers in place and then weld it together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is one of the spacers completed. I will need six of them for the three cross sills.

[​IMG]

I welded the spacers to the frame.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just checking cross sill bolt alignment.

[​IMG]

17. Bam55

Bam55 GMFS Member

Finished and repainted.

[​IMG]

Before I mount the bed I have to move the angle strips up two inches and bed should fit like factory but the floor will be two inches higher.

Here is the panel with wheels I bought for the truck just to try to get an idea. The truck will have no emblems and the only chrome will be the bumpers.
    So I wanted to see the color against the polished aluminum wheels.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Shifter

[​IMG]

Seats mock up.

[​IMG]

The firewall is looking pretty good.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Bam55

Bam55 GMFS Member

More smoothing seams.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well I finally got some color on the truck, well the interior. I could not wait to see want the color would look like so
    I just thought I'd shoot the interior just to see if I really liked it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Bam55

Bam55 GMFS Member

I could not help myself.lol I always wanted the progressive automotive x member/transmission mount but put it off due to cost. But it keep calling me so I broke down and bought it. Well anyway here it is.

As shipped

[​IMG]

Welded together and cut down for installation

[​IMG]

Installed. Removing the factory crossmembers were a lot of work but I like this better.

[​IMG]

The Transmission mount is just sitting there in this pic, it will not be welded in until engine and trans mockup.

[​IMG]

I also decided to fab up a tubular cross member to replace the factory one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The set back of installing the x member means I can no longer use the factory brake assembly.
    So here is my brake bracket I fabricated. As you can see I also had to notch the frame to have clearance for the Hydroboost unit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Bam55

Bam55 GMFS Member

I already modified the panel assembly, all that is required is a push rod extension but I think I better wait until the cab is back on to mock it up so that I know the brake is in the right spot.

Here is the piece I fabricated for the pedal assembly.

[​IMG]

After a lot of measuring here it is tacked in place. I'm going to leave it tacked until the cab is back on the frame, because I may have to move it a little bit.

[​IMG]

Here is the pedal installed. Yes the push rod connection clears the bottom tube by about 1/2 inch. As you can see I need to make or purchase a longer push rod extension.

[​IMG]

Well I got the frame repainted.

[​IMG]

Here is the push rod connection to the brake pedal I had to fab up the mount for the brake pedal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016