6.0 swap in OBS???

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance' started by chevy_man, Apr 9, 2007.

Sponsored By: Black Bear Performance
  1. chevy_man

chevy_man Left Jizz

I was looking at swapping a 6.0 with a 4l80E into my 88K1500 to replace the TBI 5.7 and 700R4.

I know I will need a donor truck with the engine, tranny, wiring harness, ECM, and I will have to modify driveshafts, rebuild and adapt my NP241, rewire guages, new fuel pump/tank, radiator w/e-fans, external tranny cooler and oil cooler, motor mounts, relocate (fabricate?) tranny crossmember.

Anything I'm missing here? And how much money do you think I would have invested into it? I'm looking at $3000-$5000 for buying the donor truck, using everything, and then selling it again for any usable parts and modifying stuff. I realize that it'll probably end up at about $8,000 with my luck.

Thanks for any info, and has anybody out there done this?

2. kawamatt2

kawamatt2 GMFS Member

3. xlcooplx

xlcooplx resident pyromaniac

also, redheartbeat (i think thats his name..burgandy ecsb OBS) over on ls1truck.com has done this swap

4. Anthony

Anthony GMFS Senior Member

5. chevy_man

chevy_man Left Jizz

well, I think because of all the shit going wrong and problems i'm having with my TBI I'm going to start looking for an 01 w/ 6.0 and 80E and buy it. (wrecked, of course)

6. xXxSilveradoxXx

xXxSilveradoxXx Gringo Chiludo

I see you have a work truck!

[​IMG]

You gonna make it a better work truck or a sleeper? I am currently swapping a Vortec 454 into my 89.

[​IMG]

That pic makes it look good but trust me, it is a work truck!

As for your truck:
    I'm not sure on the motor mounts you should get, there are a few different designs... You should use your stock tranny crossmember and just mount it farther back (I think it's 2 inches) for the 4L80-E. You could also probably get away with useing stock drivelines from a truck that was your bodystyle and had the 4L80 in it stock. Adapting the NP241 is easy, I was worried about it but it was a snap. I'll get you some pictures of my input shaft swap when I am on my other computer tomorrow. As far as the tank is concerned I would use the stock tank and fuel level sender and mount the fuel pump out of your donor truck. The newer pump puts out more pressure because of the LQ4's higher operating pressure. External Tranny and Oil coolers are obviously a good idea!!! As for rewiring your gauges, if you could use as many of the stock senders for your 88 as you can on the LQ4 it would make it a LOT easier.

Good luck! :bowtie:

7. chevy_man

chevy_man Left Jizz

Nice! Yeah, my truck gets any work around our house and was the previous owners hunting vehicle. I've only put a dozen dents into it off-roading :head: and one of my friends decided to slide into a snowbank and put all those wrinkles in my drivers door 2 weeks after I got it.

Plans for it are to put in a 6.0 by the end of summer, but I'm researching now so I don't run into anything I haven't prepared for. Then in about 3 yrs. I want to SAS on 38's with D60 and 14 FF. And buy a duramax for a replacement DD/Tow vehicle.

I have an 85 nissan 4cyl. 5spd 2wd truck that gets 35mpg I'm DD'ing while I work on the chevy, and it's got even more body damage than the chevy and only 75K miles.

8. chevy_man

chevy_man Left Jizz

Just thought of something else, does a NBS dash fit into an OBS? As in an 01 dash, cluster, seats (bucket), centerconsole, trim, doorpanels, and wheel thrown into an 88? Would probably be easier to use 01 guages if they fit, and my odometer and gas guage don't work already. Plus I could have a whole new interior without seperating myself from this truck.

9. xlcooplx

xlcooplx resident pyromaniac

it has been done. if you look for a thread titled something about suburban with 49's, it has a NBS dash in it:read:

10. BANDITSS

BANDITSS GMFS Member

I'm planning on doing this aswell. Does anyone know who can interface both harnesses? It's a 2006 5.3l GM motor and trans going on a 1990 chevy truck.

11. Beast96

Beast96 New Member

Any luck on this I want to do the same to my 96