'94 C1500 blowing #9 fuse, even with lights unplugged

Discussion in 'General GM Discussions' started by haromaster87, Jan 11, 2017.

1. haromaster87

haromaster87 New Member

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum, but this looks like a great place! I'm afraid I must jump right into an issue. I recently got a 1994 GMC C1500 with single sealed beam headlights, and I'm trying to track down a pesky electrical issue. I noticed early on my tail lights, front parking lights, and gauge lights weren't working. Checking the fuses, I found the #9 25A Park lights fuse was blown. Threw a new one in there and it blew as soon as I turned the parking light switch. I'm not new at working with 12v electronics at all, but I must admit this is my first time tracking a random short and I'm not terribly familiar with the wiring on these trucks yet.

So, here's the troubleshooting I've done:

Unplugged the tail light assemblies as a whole, unplugged the license plate lights, and removed the front bulbs, no change here. Fuse still blows instantly. Seems like that rules out any of the parts in the rear light assembly.

I got under and traced the tail light light wiring all the way up and could not find any points where the wire loom was worn through or even pinched. I know there can be a short under the loom, just haven't gotten that far yet. It should be noted, the brake lights still work fine, it's just the tail lights not working.

After that, I started looking for other ways to narrow it down. I was trying to rule out the front parking light section of the harness and I found the big bulk head connector on the firewall, that's kind of below/to the side of the booster. I see the front lights obviously go to this connector, and it looks like another couple of harnesses go off to the back. I'm hoping/assuming one of these harnesses is the rear light harness.

Anyway, I unbolted the big connector and threw a new fuse in there, and it still blew instantly when I flipped just the parking light switch. I should also mention that the headlights work fine, even before I did all of this.

If I'm seeing it correctly, it seems like that connector should pretty much rule out a short in any of the long wiring to the front or rear lights? Meaning I'm basically looking at either the switch or some issue with the wiring behind the dash?

Like I said, I'm new to these trucks, so any confirmation of my suspicions or any other ideas are much appreciated! I've searched all over google, but can't find anything that quite lines up with my circumstances.

Thanks!

Tony

2. John Clark

John Clark GMFS Member

The best thing to do is go to a wiring diagram. Below is the wiring diagram for the light switch system. Sounds like it's only on the parking light side. There are still lots of things it could be but I would use the diagram to disconnect everything from the switch and see if the fuse still blows. If not, then add back the circuits one by one until the fuse blows. I would look closely at S210 (Sorry, I don't know where it is) and see if you can disconnect everything there and then add it back one by one.

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/Wd/DownloadPdf?id=42746

I got the diagrams from www.bbbind.com/free_tsb.html

3. haromaster87

haromaster87 New Member

Thanks for the wiring diagram! Very helpful indeed. So, I decided to try and test the switch theory by bypassing it and jumping the leads. The connector for the head light/parking light switch has a brown wire, then a red, a yellow and an orange cable.

The brown tested properly as a ground. The red showed 12v constant. The yellow had nothing, so I used a wire to jump the red to yellow. This turned on the headlights only, which checked out. It didn't attempt to turn on the parking lights as the fuse didn't blow.

I then checked the orange wire and found that it has a constant 12v, like the red wire. Is this normal? I can't figure it out off of the diagram and I wonder if it might be a clue to my issue.

4. John Clark

John Clark GMFS Member

Well, looking at the diagram the orange wire is your power feed for the parking lights from the fuse so, yes, that says it's hot all the time. The red looks like it is the power feed from the fuse for the headlights (terminal C on the headlight switch--looks like it's not marked on the diagram, though) and the orange is the power feed for the parking lights. Isn't the parking light circuit the circuit you're having the issue with, not the head lights?

The brown shouldn't test as a direct short to ground. If it is that's the source of the short and the reason the fuse is blowing. The brown is the power feed from the switch to your loads (the lights in this case) and there should be some resistance between it and ground. If you jump the orange wire to the brown wire and the fuse still blows then you know the problem is not in the switch and is in one of the circuits to the lights.

If it were me, I'd disconnect all the wires at S210 (should be a splice somewhere,) turn on the parking lights and see if the fuse still blows. If it does, I'd know it's the switch or wiring between the switch and the splice point. If it doesn't blow, I'd reconnect each wire at S210 one by one until I found the one that blows the fuse.

5. haromaster87

haromaster87 New Member

Hey I wanted to say thanks for that post. That cleared everything up for me and definitely put me on the right path. So I've gotten under the dash and traced the brown wire from the switch all the way into the lume where it goes to the fuse panel.

I didn't find any issues there, but there's 2 other brown wires that look like they were soldered in that run away from the fuse panel, up somewhere in the dash. I think I remember reading about a wire going to the light on the 12v cigarette lighter. gonna pull that out tonight and see what I find.