99-02 Replacement Chrome Mirror Caps

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by mitchell0715, Feb 12, 2018 at 1:26 PM.

Sponsored By: Tonneau Factory Outlet
  1. mitchell0715

mitchell0715 GMFS Member

I've looked pretty extensively and have been unable to find just the replacement chrome cap that is taped to the mirror. I believe the 99-02s are completely smooth with no bump, and I can find caps with a bump or indent in them but they are not the correct cap.

It's $50 for a whole new mirror, and my time spent replacing it, so yes I want to just take 5 minutes with a razor and some tape to fix it.

If I need to go to a junkyard to get it, so be it. I'd even buy black or whatever color covers, I really don't care. As long as it doesn't look stupid with no cover like it does now

This is what they look like:
    [​IMG]

2. silverboy02

silverboy02 GMFS Member

It takes less than 5 minutes to change that mirror

3. mitchell0715

mitchell0715 GMFS Member

If it's that easy, then I can just grab a whole new mirror from a junkyard. I know there's bolts behind the triangle trim in the door but I wasn't sure if I would need to pull the door panel to disconnect any wiring or not

Either way, if I can get a simple chrome trim piece for $5-10 its still easier than messing with replacing the whole mirror

4. 05Alive

05Alive Narc

If your mirrors are smooth you can't add chrome caps. It's not a 99-02 thing, it's a trim/option thing. They're not taped on, they snap into the mirror. Go to a junk yard and get a set with chrome caps (or painted caps and buy the chrome pieces) and swap them on. It's three bolts. The triangle in the corner pops out so you don't need to take the whole door off. You can also pop the cap off another mirror and put it on the new one if you have one with caps.

5. mitchell0715

mitchell0715 GMFS Member

Most likely I will end up just going to the junkyard, sounds like the easiest and cheapest route provided they have one of these trucks there. They are tape on, the inside isn't smooth it has molding dimples in it just like this pic from the NBS power mirror sticky. I wasn't very clear, my bad on that

Thanks for the help guys, I'll move forward with either an entire assembly, or just the cap if I can find it
    [​IMG]