99-07 4WD Front Coilover Conversion

Discussion in 'Lifted Suspension & Offroad' started by Atomic, May 23, 2013.

Sponsored By: Tim's Suspension Online
  1. johnd73

johnd73 New Member

ok, will do, thanks!

2. johnd73

johnd73 New Member

So would these be a bad idea for top mounts instead of the Pro Comp adapter?

IMG_1387.PNG

3. Atomic

Atomic GMFS Member

Most of the time I only recommend that for lowered setups that don't have a lot of room to work with. Seeing how yours is lifted you have tons of room for activities so the procomp mount will work just fine. If you use the stud top, I highly recommend my bushing kit as that soft rubber that is included will not offer any support at all.

4. johnd73

johnd73 New Member

ok i'll go back through your posts and check that out.

5. johnd73

johnd73 New Member

Qa1 website is showing com8t-102pk as steel w/PTFE nylon lining. you think that's an error? Summit has com8t-102pk as all steel.

IMG_1395.PNG

6. johnd73

johnd73 New Member

IMG_1396.PNG

7. stealth245

stealth245 New Member

Yes they are lined Ptfe with steel around them. That's the same ones I got and the are fine.

8. johnd73

johnd73 New Member

ok cool

9. Atomic

Atomic GMFS Member

Yea those are fine, they are what the QA1 tech recommended way back when. The big thing is also the width so there is more misalignment correct possible.

10. johnd73

johnd73 New Member

Got ya, thanks! Looking forward to getting this conversion done. Got a lot of good info from u guys!

11. Atomic

Atomic GMFS Member

12. ILuvJDM

ILuvJDM GMFS Senior Member

Has anyone used your new red stud top kit with success? I know early model bushings were deforming under full size trucks weight

13. Atomic

Atomic GMFS Member

Yep, I have a lot of guys using them with zero problems! They are a hard plastic material and can take the weight just fine but still provide some wiggle room. I have a one step softer bushing I got this last round that is green instead of red.

14. 07classicsilvy

07classicsilvy New Member

looking into this conversion, i have a 2007 silverado classic. with an rcx 6" NTD lift. atomic i sent you an email regarding info on the brackets.. i have cognito arms ready to be installed as well. my ? is should i stack springs 950/1200 or stick with life a 550 14" spring on the 701's

15. Atomic

Atomic GMFS Member

Hey, I sent you a response but for everyone else to see, the 950/1200 dual spring would result in around a 530lb effective spring, but I am really curious to see how you would like such a setup, and swapping springs later is not too big of a deal if it doesnt work out. Based on experience with the lifted guys, I would start out a little heavier at a 600-650lb spring even though the math works out for the softer one it seems 600-650 is a better range in practice.

16. 07classicsilvy

yea i got it, thanks. and im kind of curious myself. but i think in all honesty im gonna start out with a 14" 600 because i dont offroad at all. just maybe a few dirt roads here and there but i do do alot of highway towing. i do have airride on the back and i would really enjoy a soft ride in the front instead of the hard hits of torsion bars. im just not sure....very indecisive

17. Phildirt

Phildirt n. fil-dert.

The 6" NTD shouldn't be a rough ride unless you are over cranked.

18. 07classicsilvy

of course im over cranked. not by much. every body that cranks their bars up are alil bit. my angles are fine. i like the thought of better articulation in the ifs and a better ride..instead of being limited by the bars themselves. so thats what im doing. there is no comparison of a coil over to a torsion bar. especially with these front ends. the coil over swap for the price is the best way to go.

19. 07classicsilvy

final decision is viking c213 shocks with eibach 14" 650lb coils

20. Phildirt

Phildirt n. fil-dert.

I've researched the same setup, you're preaching to the choir. Point was TB isn't rough if it's not overcranked. As far as articulation you will still have bump and droop stops...

Don't get me wrong I'd love to put these brackets on, he's the only one making them that I know of and they look like a high quality piece. I just don't want to be locked into a specific coilover size because they are pretty pricey. Your up/down adjustment will be about 1.5" so if you put a taller or shorter lift on the truck you are buying new coilovers. And they only solve one of about a dozen issues with a lifted IFS truck. Your cv angles, bj angles, suspension travel will all be the same but you'll have a smoother ride. Again not saying the $900 isn't worth it, just make sure you understand exactly what it will accomplish.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017