Adding an AUX input-port to your factory radio

Discussion in 'Audio & Electronics' started by silveradokidd_4518, Aug 18, 2009.

Sponsored By: EMF Car Audio
  1. silveradokidd_4518

silveradokidd_4518 GMFS Member

ok, so a buddy of mine found this write up on LS1tech on how you can add an AUX input-port to your factory radio.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/stere...add-aux-input-mp3-player-without-adapter.html

i read the report myself and i got to thinking that the radios are pretty much the same.

i did this on my 2002 Silvy... as for anything 2003 and up... i do not know what the radios are like like inside so i can not vouche for that yet. my buddy has a 2006 Silvy we will be trying this on soon
    so i picked up this connector..

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103451&cp

the guy in the write up used cat 5 wire. i just rigged up my own harness cause i have access to all the wire i want at my work

diagram of the input jack..
    274-246.gif

1- Ground (connect anywhere to the stereo case)
    2-Left Channel
    3-Left Channel
    4-Right Channel
    5-Right Channel

after you have it all hooked up to the stereo, just put a CD in the CD player, connect your MP3 player and play the music. the MP3 player will take over the signal from the CD player and now play your MP3 music

for a total of about $10, you cant go wrong. i dont have any problems with mine and it works great

if there is anything i missed in my own write up, it is and prob can be answered in the link i posted up top. also, ill be glad to help anyone else out who needs it

001-2.gif

003-2.gif

here is the connector that you will be looking for when you take your radio apart. the first wire to the left is the Left Channel and the third wire is your Right Channel. dont worry if they are different colors from mine, they are same channels
    004-2.gif

005-2.gif

007-2.gif

009-1.gif

and i mounted mine here...

photo-1.gif

2. GCncsuHD

GCncsuHD ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Did the same thing to my 03, same basic idea, pretty easy. I posted up some instructions here last year, but never did a full detailed write up.

3. Denaliano

Denaliano Resident Guinea Wop

ditch those butt connectors and do it right with solder.

4. Trevor F

Trevor F GMFS Senior Member

anyone know where i can get a aux plug like that to mold in my dash but 2 rca's on the other end to connect to my panasonic dvd?

5. silveradokidd_4518

The connectors are just a temp thing. I don't have a soldering iron at home. I'll be doing it the right way in a couple days at work

6. GCncsuHD

GCncsuHD ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Radio Shack....
    How did you do the terminals on the 1/8" plug? Please don't say you just wrapped the wires and didnt solder. Although I must admit it was pretty scary soldering the wires above the circuit board of the radio on mine.

7. silveradokidd_4518

no I'm not that stupid. I soldered the connector at work and put shrink wrap around it as well. Just forgot to take pics of the connector before I wrapped it

8. chevy_man

chevy_man Left Jizz

Bump. Finally did this on my 03 Yukon Denali. I have the RSE, XM, Bose and 6 disc changer and everything works as it should.

As a side note, doing this will over-ride the XM, CD changer, and rear seat entertainment imputs. Therefore you'll have to unplug from the aux jack to use any of the original sources.

1st: Parts and tools

P1060528.jpg

P1060531.jpg

Cable I made with 18ga. wire

P1060534.jpg

P1060535.jpg

P1060541.jpg

Center console drilled with jack installed. A 1/4" bit should be fine for the hole, but I had a index that goes to the 32nd so I used two steps down from 1/4" and it's preety damned snug.

P1060547.jpg

P1060549.jpg

Spliced into the harness behind the dash. This seemed easier than opening the radio to me. The wires will be in a bundle wrapped with tape and shielding. DO NOT get the other green wire that isn't wrapped up with the shielding.
    Pin 1: To black/white wire
    Pin 2: To Radio side of brown/white wire
    Pin 3: To XM side of brown/white wire
    Pin 4: To XM side of green/white wire
    Pin 5: To Radio side of green/white wire

yes, I heat shrinked everything and taped the bundle back up when I was done.

P1060551.jpg

It works!

P1060552.jpg

still use the cigarette lighter, it's one of 4, but I can leave the ipod on a charger in the console this way.

P1060555.jpg

sorry for the picture quality, I broke my samsung so I had to use an old shitty panasonic. Also, shot the video with my ipod nano 5.

9. ibe2hi

ibe2hi CHIMICHANGA

it fuckin works

10. Forklift

Forklift Wanna B Jack o all Trades

dammit if I hate to see you guys using the headphone jack off an ipod
    I should do one like this but with relays instead of the of that jack as a switcher

11. TexasCrew

TexasCrew 2wd club

This will work on my 05?

12. theholycow

theholycow AllOffTopic.com FTW!

Nice writeup, chevy_man!

I agree, definitely use shielded cable, especially for a long run like that. For only a few inches you can get away with any old wire.

13. chevydad

chevydad GMFS Member

will something like this work on an 05 stereo with bose and indash changer and rear entertainment. i dont have xm or dvd.

someone could make a few bucks making these harnesses so that any idiot can hook them up. i would buy one

14. theholycow

15. chevydad

chevydad GMFS Member

16. pc9840

pc9840 New Member

Yes, this will work on an 05 with Bose. I believe however that it will disable the rear entertainment when you are using the aux connector.

ALLDATA shows its the same wiring going to the rear entertainment.

If you wanted to keep the rear entertainment you would need to find the "splice pack (SP250)" and tap into the XM side of things.

All of this is theoretical, I have not done this on one with rear entertainment before and can only answer by looking at the wiring diagram.

Hope it helps.

17. chevydad

chevydad GMFS Member

do ya wanna make me one? lol rear ent. is not important to me. as long as the rear speakers still work.

18. chevy_man

chevy_man Left Jizz

If you would have read my post, or even watched the video it will work with the in-dash and rear entertainment. They all use the same input wiring on the stereo. When you plug into the jack it over-rides the RSE and changer.

For a harness a lot of guys are using a cat5e cable with good luck. I didn't so I can't say how it sounds myself. I'll make you one for $30, but all I'm going to do is strip the sheathing back 6" and put numbers on the wires which you can do yourself in 10 minutes or less.

And forklift, I know the audio jack on the ipod doesn't provide the best sound quality, but with the factory bose hu, amp, and speakers I can't tell the difference in sound quality between a legitimate cd (not a d/l and burned one) and the ipod. Although all the stuff on my ipod is recorded in either high quality vbr minimum 192k/b or 320k/b mp3's, not the typical 128k/b that almost always sounds like crap.
    Also, what would the advantage be to using a relay other than having a better quality switch for the sources? I was considering adding one behind the dash so the signal from the factory sources would have about 8 ft. less distance to travel but then I thought about how low the voltage and current is on the line and figured that the difference in wire length shouldn't be an issue since I up-sized to 18ga. out to the jack. And a relay would be another mechanical part to fail, I know they don't fail often, but I have seen coils and contacts go bad, whereas the jack itself is all mechanical with no coil eliminating one potential failure point.

Let me know what I did wrong/different than how a pro would do it.

19. xlcooplx

xlcooplx resident pyromaniac

how in the hell are you guys soldering to this 1/8" jack without melting them? i've ruined two of them trying to solder wire to them. what a complete pain in the ass.

20. theholycow

Are you using salvaged jacks from consumer electronics? The ones you buy at Radio Shack are easy enough to solder to.