After oil change, losing fresh oil faster than old oil

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by dumbguy123, Dec 5, 2017.

1. dumbguy123

dumbguy123 GMFS Member

04 Tahoe with 255k on the ticker. I have the 5.3 Z"flex fuel" engine. It has the typical oil leaks that most all 5.3's have. Speaking of 5.3's....where are the most common places for these things to leak from? I'm just about ready to tackle the oil leaks, getting tired of the oil burning stinky smell mess. Oil pan, valve covers, intake valley cover, rear engine cover, oil cooler block off....any other common leaks I missed in that list?

I have noticed, right after an oil change that my oil level drops quicker than once the oil is a bit older. To explain better....in the first 3000 miles of oil usage, I typically have to add a quart of oil. In the last 40% on the oil monitor, or last ~3000 miles of an oil change cycle, I barely have to add half a quart. Is it typical of the 5.3 to burn thru or leak fresh, clean oil at a much faster rate than used oil that has been in a for a while?

I've seen this happen repeatedly, so I think I am on to something, meaning this isn't just a one time flash in the pan. I've observed this over the last 12-18 months and 3 oil changes.

2. kids-at-711

kids-at-711 Sexually identifies as a shopping cart.

You're just using/losing 1.5 qts every 6k miles. Dont overthink it.

No "normal" oil leaks that I know of, if those things are leaking fix them, if they arent, leave them be. :imo

3. Phildirt

Phildirt n. fil-dert.

“Typical” and “where is it usually leaking” are opposites.

Mine has 150k on the same motor and no leaks yet.

4. dumbguy123

dumbguy123 GMFS Member

The normal/typical oil leaks are well documented in many places. All 5.3's leak at some point, and it's usually from the same places whether you have it in a truck or suv. There is some logic to why the new oil goes away faster....I've watched it do this for almost 2 years now. Probably will take an oil engineer to give an accurate answer as to why it is.

5. dumbguy123

dumbguy123 GMFS Member

Yeah, mine didn't start leaking until after 150k and 10+ years old. You'll get there, no doubt.

6. barrrf

barrrf Website QC

"an oil engineer"

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

LS platforms are lauded to be leak free. Your motor is eating the oil. Unless youre finding puddles on the ground or its sprayed all over the bottom of your truck, its not leaking out. Crawl under, do some investigation. Look for spots. Do a UV leak test. This isnt difficult.

7. dumbguy123

dumbguy123 GMFS Member

It is leaking. Your assumption is incorrect about the leak free LS platform. Do your research before popping off about things you don't know. There is so much oil on the bottom side, it's hard to tell where the leak is from, if not everywhere. Without being able to pressure wash the bottom side, finding the source of the leak is an effort in futility. I will just replace all typical leaking area gaskets, then clean up and go from there.

Yes an oil engineer, as in an engineer that works for engine oil manufacturer. I see the LCD crowd I'm working with here, I might need to run this question up the flagpole at bobistheoilguy.com. Thanks.

8. Phildirt

Phildirt n. fil-dert.

Mine is 13 years old.

9. dumbguy123

dumbguy123 GMFS Member

That's awesome.....You're the exception, not the rule. Every older 5.3 that I've ever seen has the oil residue all over the bottom side. It rarely hits the ground, but coats the whole underside in "rust protectant." ;)

10. josh.wares.9

josh.wares.9 GMFS Member

This is mine....well it was. Now it leaves large puddles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

11. Phildirt

Phildirt n. fil-dert.

Which is harmless

12. Graystone

Graystone Mmm Sandwich

Well I doubt you will ever find the source if you never clean the underside of the engine. It is very open so I am unsure of how you are unable to clean it.

13. kids-at-711

Has your dumb ass even remotely considered that there is other fluids that can be leaking and spraying underneath? Also, there are alot more LS engines out there not leaking than just Phil's, your clammoring about doing research, think about this, nobody is going to make a thread about their engine not leaking.

14. dumbguy123

dumbguy123 GMFS Member

My dumb ass knows the difference between engine oil, gear oil, transmission fluid, ps fluid, brake fluid. It's engine oil dumb ass kids driving disco trucks.

Here you go....

http://www.gmfullsize.com/threads/nbs-5-3-oil-leak.246486/

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/146168-oil-leak/

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/oil-leak.92356/#post-1104753

I used a search string "chevy 5.3 engine oil leak" and came up with tons of hits. You can do the same and read until you're no longer dumb ass kids. All eventually leak engine oil and make the undercarriage mess. I've probably been around Chevy's since you were in diapers and dreaming of a disco truck. I'm not looking for back talk, I'm looking for constructive, been there done that experience. Sorry there is little of that thus far.

15. kids-at-711

Says the guy asking where his engine is leaking from :insane2:

barrrf likes this.
  16. barrrf

barrrf Website QC

Knows everything about Chevys cuz old and crusty. Has no idea how to find a leak.

Also an "oil engineer" (protroleum engineer........FFS) wont know how to tell you where your truck is leaking. Or even if its oil coming out. They'll be able to tell you about the make up of the oil youre running, why and what you should be running, and they may even be able to tell you how to find a leak. But that person will not be able to tell you, specifically, where your personal truck is having issues.

Clean it up. Do a fucking dye test. And fix it.

17. Graystone

Graystone Mmm Sandwich

Classic op wants spoon fed info of his liking

18. TMAN

TMAN Drive fast, take chances.

I've had 3 pickups with the 5.3 in it and never had an engine leak . Power steering, and axle seals are about the only things I've had problems with leaking.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

19. Graystone

Graystone Mmm Sandwich

I am with stupid.

I have had 3 4.8/5.3 and never had engine oil leaks like you described. As stated before you will only find stuff about issues never anything about how well my oil pan is at keeping oil in.