Backup cam/compass and dash lights non functional

Discussion in 'Audio & Electronics' started by GunterSXR, Jul 29, 2017.

Sponsored By: EMF Car Audio
  1. GunterSXR

GunterSXR GMFS Member

ive had this issue for 7-8 months now and I cant figure it out for the life of me. At fist it only acted up once the truck got hot, now it's all the time. The backup camera in the rear view mirror, the compass on the dash and some of the dash lights don't work. It began during the turbo build a month or so after I installed the gauges. I tried changing the power source but no change. I even let the dealership attempt to diagnose it but no luck. They replaced the bcm and one of the battery cables and it didn't change a thing. Any suggestions for diagnosing this would be great. Thanks guys.
    '13 GMC 6.2 crew cab 4x4

2. Tiki

Tiki meow

Sounds a little like the issues I had when the canbus went screwy on our Tahoe. Random non-related electrical issues.

3. GunterSXR

GunterSXR GMFS Member

Did u ever find a fix?

4. Tiki

Tiki meow

Yes they replaced it. Spendy repair but everything works fine now.

5. -Cuba-

-Cuba- GMFS Member

Have you looked at a wiring diagram or schematic? Is it possible they share a ground? Maybe the bolt wasn't tightened all the way and now no longer making a connection. Just thought I'd throw out an idea.... I have found just because you take it to the dealer, does it mean that they are competent or thorough. I've had to redo SIMPLE work dealer techs screwed up before for my own customers.

6. -Cuba-

-Cuba- GMFS Member

From what I saw so far... many of those components tie into zone 10 ground. Which is somewhere on front passenger area either under dash or footwell covered by trim.... may be worth a check?

7. ibanender

ibanender www.emfcaraudio.com

Other thought, do you have the original battery in the truck or has it been changed in the last 4 years?

8. GunterSXR

GunterSXR GMFS Member

Original battery

9. ibanender

Old battery on the way out can cause weird things to happen. I'm not saying go out and replace it, but it would be worth trying another battery that isn't old.

10. GunterSXR

GunterSXR GMFS Member

I’ve lived with it for almost a year now. It’s pretty freaking annoying. Truck makes over 700 wheel hp but simple shit like telling the driver which direction he’s facing or if the fog lights are on is too much to ask. Before I go buy another battery is there a specific battery recommended for trucks running several accessories? Obd2 gauge, several other gauges, led lights, methanol, etc

11. ibanender

I would think a year on a failing battery would be too long to not have a complete failure, but 5 year old battery is still 5 years old. As for the replacement, http://www.emfcaraudio.com/xs-power-d4800/