Bad Rocker Panel Replacement Work - Need Advice

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by Chevy2K5, Dec 15, 2016.

Sponsored By: Tonneau Factory Outlet
  1. Chevy2K5

Chevy2K5 GMFS Member

Hi guys, a little while back I paid a small shop in NH to replace the rocker panels on my 03 Silverado. I specifically stated that I wanted exact factory style replacement rockers whatever that may cost. I ended up getting a cheap “slip on” type along with a rattle can paint job. I didn’t realize that I had fitment issues where the passenger rocker met the front passenger fender until I got home. I had also known for a little while that my front passenger fender had some rot behind the fender liner. I thought that it would be a good time to replace the fender and also take a closer look at what was going on with my passenger rocker panel. When the new fender arrived a few weeks later, I could not get the bottom of the fender to fit where it met the rocker during the install. I wasn’t going to be able to get it even close without bending the brand new fender.

At this point, I was really confused so I ended up ordering a new passenger slip on rocker panel made by Keystone to compare and figure out just what was going on since it was only $40 delivered to my door. When comparing the rocker that was installed on my truck to the passenger rocker that I purchased, it appeared that the ends were opposite of each other. It then seemed to me that a driver side rocker was installed on the passenger side after looking at it and taking some measurements. I believe this was the cause of my fitment issues.

So after this, I drove back to the shop which isn’t close to my house to try to explain what was going on. I tried showing the owner what I found but he completely denied it and got his temper going. I got nowhere with him and I had to leave as he was getting mine going as well.

Long story short, I ended up paying an auto body shop to replace both rockers correctly as it should have been done in the first place. After the way I was treated by the shop, I’m pretty motivated to do something about it. I would like to get you guys’ opinion to see if you (a) agree with the rocker panel issue and (b) what my next steps should be to resolve this. Chris

Here’s the brand new passenger Keystone rocker I purchased (part# Replace RRP3672).

[​IMG]

Here’s the front side. The entire end is flat.

[​IMG]

Here’s the rear side. The end is molded about 2/3 of the way then flattens out.

[​IMG]

Here’s the rocker that was installed on my truck near the front passenger fender. The end appears molded about 2/3 of the way before flattening out. Notice this end is opposite of the replacement Keystone passenger rocker. There’s also some sealant that was placed on there to fill the gap caused by the molded part. The front passenger fender was removed for the photo.

[​IMG]

2. silverboy02

silverboy02 GMFS Member

How much did you pay for the original job?

3. Chevy2K5

Chevy2K5 GMFS Member

Way too much for what I got. It was like $2,700. For that it should have been perfect.

4. silverboy02

silverboy02 GMFS Member

That's a little cheap but you should have gotten a lot better than that for sure. Last rocker job I did was a full replacement both sides using clean used rockers and we charged 3500

5. Blue 04 Z71

Blue 04 Z71 GMFS Member

Damn, $2700 for that! That's insane. I paid $1300 for mine and he cut the old out welded in the new painted them and a door and fender flares. Hopefully you got a bunch of pics and was there some sort of contract?

6. barrrf

barrrf Website QC

If you want to get your money back, you'll have to go to court. And you'll need a written statement from the shop that redid the work stating the original work was fooked.

7. Chevy2K5

Chevy2K5 GMFS Member

$1,300 sounds like a great price but not the average at least around here. The guy I went to is the leave no paper trail type. I have a receipt but it has little on it other than what I paid. Thankfully, I have a long email chain with me describing exactly what I wanted and him agreeing to it. My exact words were that I wanted the rockers "exactly like they came out of the factory, whatever that may cost." I've filed with the NH BBB but nothing came of it. It looks like the New Hampshire Consumer Protection & Antitrust Bureau is the next step before court (http://doj.nh.gov/consumer/sourcebook/auto-repairs.htm) just to show I exhausted all other means. Even if the guy didn't screw up the passenger side rocker, he still used cheapo slip on rockers that you can get for $40 shipped to your door along with rattle can paint that had like no clear. The shop that fixed it correctly and who did an amazing job spent like $1,000 in parts and painted it perfectly for a total of $3,300 out the door. I should have just gone to them in the first place.

8. Heckwine

Heckwine GMFS Member

the shop I work for charges around $1300 for both rockers and corners, painted with rocker guard as well.

9. 2011denali

2011denali GMFS Member

fook me Jim, you spent almost 7k on rocker repairs now?! That is out of this world

Billy95 and nickv like this.
  10. Billy95

Billy95 GMFS Member

So you're into it for 6k+? Man oh man