Blue 04's slow build thread

Discussion in 'Under Construction' started by Blue 04 Z71, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Blue 04 Z71

Blue 04 Z71 GMFS Member

This will be a slow build thread. But I figured I'd make one just because I figured everyone else is like me and likes looking at the pics in the other build threads lol.

Plans
    Colormatch upper bumper cap, flares and possibly tows
    Buy black lower valence
    Remove 3" Body lift
    Install new energy suspension body bushings
    Rebuild front steering, I already ordered Moog UCA's, inner and outer TRE's and lower ball joints. I replaced the idler arm and bracket last spring so it should still be ok. I only drove 9,000 miles since.
    Install my 6" RCX lift :favorites37:
    Clean/paint frame
    I do have some rocker rust so that will have to be addressed sooner or later.

Eventually I'd like to get some leather seats/new covers
    Some chrome 20's (Preds, Ions, Hostile) with either toyo's, nitto's, or atturo trail blades
    And line-x

As soon as I get a brake in the weather and the snow melts some I can get started. I have all the body bolts and brackets I need to remove the BL. Im hoping to have the RCX installed by the end of march if the weather cooperates. I cant fit the truck in my garage and close the door and still be able to work on it since its only 19ft deep. And if anyone is interested in the BL let me know. I have everything but the fan shroud parts because I tossed them when I went to Efans and I just bought 8 brand new zinc coated bolts for it before I decided to go with the RCX. I know the RCX isn't a top of the line lift but for what I want it should be fine.

Some pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As it sits now, I got the nfabs because the wife slipped getting in without any bars and messed up her knee pretty good. I never heard the end of it lol
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also got my DDM switchbacks installed
    [​IMG]

2. 03z-71

03z-71 GMFS Senior Member

Always liked it man!

3. KyChevyGirl

KyChevyGirl GMFS Member

Subbed because I like looking at build pics! Haha

4. 00silvyON

00silvyON The Canadian

Before you install it, send the two spindles out to be powder coated, and get yourself some NNBS CV axles. I got mine for a 2011 Sierra 1500.

I'd also look into ordering two Timken wheel bearing assemblies. It would be nice to do, since your replacing everything. Truck will be new again!

And I have two new front suspension backing plates. (the ones behind the brakes on the front) I will send them to you for free, just pay shipping. Send them off to be PC'd black with the knuckles! send me a text ig you want them.

I also had some play in the bushings in my LCA's. I'd look into getting some replacement parts for that also.

Add steering stabilizer & kicker braces to the list!!

Have some black spray paint, grinder and sawzall ready.

5. Blue 04 Z71

Blue 04 Z71 GMFS Member

I'll add the braces and stabilizer to the list. And yea ill take you up on that offer for the backing plates. Mine are beat up from changing hubs. Hubs are fairly new probably less than 15,000 miles on them. If they are bad I'll grab some new ones. I'll try to get a price on some powder.

6. Blue 04 Z71

Blue 04 Z71 GMFS Member

Im getting a price to get the whole thing powdered lol. Im thinking a candy blue? Something to match the truck

**Got the price back from the powder guy. 350 min for basic color and more if you want metallic or something like that, not a bad price but, at this point Im going to stick with the factory black. This is my DD so The black will be easier to touch up in the future.

7. ayork2

ayork2 GMFS Member

you should definitely colormatch the tows. :wave:
    [​IMG]

Kuntryboy8 likes this.
  8. Wickedgmc

Wickedgmc I got work to do

Plans sound good! Current rims and tires will make for a perfect winter setup.

9. Kennymbell

Kennymbell GMFS Member

Gonna look sweet! You def need some predators tho!

10. GeoffSFAs10

GeoffSFAs10 GMFS Senior Member

This will be nice, the N-Fabs arent the worst things ever, they atleast look good. I might need to get a set again for my truck, wifey is pretty pissed I took the last ones off

11. BillysGruff

BillysGruff STOCK TRUCK

In. I looked at your sig and see you have completed the lq4 swap. :wave:

12. Blue 04 Z71

Blue 04 Z71 GMFS Member

Thanks guys. This weather is killing me, high of 14 today and 12 tomorrow with a wind chill of -12. Im itching to get this on. My TRE's, lower BJ's and UCA's came in. Getting the knuckles powdered along with the backing plates from 00silvyon. Also getting my stock hitch powdered black while its off. Glad I didn't toss it when I got the HD hitch.

13. Chevy Z71

Chevy Z71 GMFS Member

I found your thread on the 6.0 swap. Hows the 4L60E holding up with that? I'm planning on doing the swap to mine once my 5.3 dies. Anything I should know about the swap? Also you'll like the 6" RCX I just had mine done in October with torsion keys and extra leafs added. And did you have the blackbear tune before or after the 6.0?

14. Blue 04 Z71

Blue 04 Z71 GMFS Member

60e is holding up fine. knock on wood haha. I had it tuned while the I was swapping the engines. The vette servo and tuning probably is helping. If I was to do it again I'd put a trailblazer torque converter in while the motor was out. Other than that its a straight swap.
    I sold my original torsion keys a few years ago so Im going to have to use the RC keys that are in now. So I wont be able to go super uncranked. Im hoping to have the fenders around 43-44'' in the front. I was looking through some old threads and cknox's truck sat perfect to me. I believe it was 44.5 front and 43.5 rear.

I just wanted to post a pic of how bad the boxes were when they arrived at my place. I pulled up just as the ups driver was getting out of his truck. He said,"yea sorry some of the boxes opened and the parts fell out, if anything is missing just call ups and file a claim." Really??? So I then took everything into my basement and laid it all out to make sure everything was there. Aside from some powder being chipped it seems to be all there. Its a little aggravating having the boxes all beat to shit and parts just laying around.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. ilikedirt

ilikedirt lol wut

Sub'd! Long time no talk...truck is looking good!

Sucks about the boxes..i've never had something show up THAT bad...i'd be pissed.

16. Blue 04 Z71

Blue 04 Z71 GMFS Member

Hey man!, thanks! Trust me I was pissed. Yea its been awhile. You still riding on those SS rims??

17. Chevy Z71

Chevy Z71 GMFS Member

Dang, who'd you order it from? I got mine from the RC dealer on this site and everything came back nice. And yah I'm running the RC keys from my leveling kit i got a few years back and they work fine. On packaging i had a problem from was the zone add a leafs i bought from amazon. But luckily leafs are big and made of steel so nothing got broken or lost. And if you can get them, purchase the kicker braces. I bought every accessory except for the steering stabilizer.

18. Blue 04 Z71

Blue 04 Z71 GMFS Member

I ordered it through the dealer on here MPC. But it looks like it was shipped directly from RC in Tennessee. I posted on RC's FB page just to show them how bad it showed up.

19. 48548

48548 GMFS Member

Good luck and this looks like a nice build.

20. cbrsilv15

cbrsilv15 GMFS Member

It's not the shippers problem. That's UPS...

I'd file a claim. Fuck that.