Carbureted engine swap

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance' started by Redneckfarmer97, Nov 20, 2016.

Which option should I choose?

1. Rebuild and build my 350 TBI

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Drop in a built 400 small block

100.0%
Sponsored By: Black Bear Performance
  1. Redneckfarmer97

Redneckfarmer97 New Member

Hey guys, I'm new to any sort of forum so forgive me if I am posting in the wrong place. I have a 1989 Chevy C2500 with a 5 speed manual. This winter I would like to do one of two things, either rebuild and cam my 350 TBI, or swap in a 400 small block. So my questions are, if I cam a 350 TBI, will I need to do anything to my trucks computer? And if I drop in a 400 small block, what would I need to do with my computer? Also, what else would I have to do if I dropped a carbureted engine into a truck that is powered by a TBI engine? As you can see I'm not very experienced in dealing with vehicle computers. I am only a novice mechanic who is thirsty for knowledge! Any input with either option would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

2. oldschoolchevy

oldschoolchevy Serious!

I would ditch the idea of a 400 sbc an just swap it LS block an ECM. Way better power capabilities and fuel mileage. Depending on your area you can get a engine an ecm also harness for 400-800.

3. Redneckfarmer97

Redneckfarmer97 New Member

While I think the LS engines are badass, I have a soft spot in my heart for old carbureted engines. This is for my second truck, or as I call it, my "fun truck", so I have no worries about about fuel mileage. In the time since I've posted my question, I have decided to just rebuild, then build my old TBI. I won't have the money for a 400 sbc, and pets for the 350 are relatively cheap. Will I need to do anything with the computer if I cam it? Also, what cam would be recommended? Thank you for the feedback!

4. Setbrew45

Setbrew45 New Member

I'm working on building my 350 TBI everything I've read says that you'd be better off going carbureted nut I have yet to find somebody to help me on the wiring lol

5. Hogg

Hogg GMFS Member

I'd snatch a $2000 brand new 2 bolt or 4 bolt Vortec 350, install a TBI/Vortec intake and away you go. Would easily out power the stock 400.

Part number 12530282 2 bolt

Part number 12530283 4 bolt

The Vortec heads are the highest flowing heads GM ever installed on a GEN 1 SBC.

That being said, the basic GEN 3 LM7 HO will pull 360hp with its lame stock LS1 camshaft. Makes all the drama of the 365hp L76 327 of the mid 60's seem kinda silly.

peace
    Hog