Cold Engine Oil Leak

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by slomogator, Feb 13, 2018 at 7:00 AM.

1. slomogator

slomogator New Member

When my 5.3 liter engine is cold, I have noticed an oil leak in the vicinity of the oil filter, how ever the leak is not the filter. When the engine is thoroughly warm, there is no longer a leak. At the 100,000 mile mark, I switched to full synthetic oil. At that point, I began to notice the leak.
    2008 Silverado 1500. What's going on?

2. Blue 04 Z71

Blue 04 Z71 GMFS Member

Engine oil cooler block off plate above the filter leaking?

3. Phildirt

Phildirt n. fil-dert.

I’ve been told, but not sure if it’s true, that synthetic will find its way past any surface/seal that is suspect, this is a byproduct of its exceptional lubrication qualities/viscosity, and not to use it in applications that don’t call for it.

The only experience I have with this is switching out a 1980 CB750 to synthetic and it leaked like a sieve afterwards.

May not be true but just some food for thought. I use dino oil in my Burb because it has always worked.

4. 2500hdon37s

2500hdon37s GMFS Senior Member

Not true. Leaks perceived to be from synthetic oils are often just because synthetic oils do a much better job at cleaning out sludge because they often have more detergent packages mixed into the oil. So the leak is often from cleaning gunk off a seal that was stopping up the gap where it will leak.

5. slomogator

slomogator New Member

Not positive, but I will check it out.