Important Coop's iPod/aux input How-To for 03+ XM Capable Trucks

Discussion in 'Audio & Electronics' started by xlcooplx, Jul 7, 2011.

Sponsored By: EMF Car Audio
  1. xlcooplx

xlcooplx resident pyromaniac

Okay, quite a few of you have asked me to do a write-up on adding an auxiliary input jack to 03+ XM equipped trucks. I did this back in Feb; however, I didn't take photos while I was doing it. For that reason, I don't have any "in-progress" photos.

For starters, you need to decide which jack to use. Some people use the jack from radioshack; however, I only have a soldering iron so I opted to go with a jack that could take the extra heat from my iron while soldering the wires to it. I used the jack pictured below. It is sold HERE on Amazon.

[​IMG]

Okay, the next thing you will need is three equal-length pieces of wire. I started with each strand being about 3' long so I could mount the jack in the truck wherever I wanted. I had an old LS-x harness laying around so I color-coordinated the wires that I soldered to the audiojack to match the wires that I was tapping into on the XM receiver...I know, OCD.

The XM receiver is a small metal looking box that is behind your glove box. If you take all of the stuff out of your glove box, on the right side there will be a small tab that keeps the box from folding down any further.

Your 3.5mm jack will have three posts on it. The common audio post is the longest of the three posts. It is silver in color. The other two posts are left and right channels.

Assuming that you have made good connections with each of your wires, all you need to do now is tune to XM. Once you have XM on, you'll need to tune to channel 0 (Radio ID).

[​IMG]

This channel has no audio so it is perfect for this. The last thing that you will need is a cable to plug from the jack into your iPod/phone/etc. I bought a 3' cable from Radioshack. It is slightly long but it gives you plenty of room to control the phone while its plugged in.

Since I didn't do the write-up and install at the same time, I may have left some things out. If anybody has any questions, ask away.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  2. SumtinCoo

SumtinCoo Now Static

very nice! :thumbsup:

3. DirtyBlackHoe

DirtyBlackHoe B

very nice man...I might have to give this a try, although the only part of electrical that I am good at is wiring headunits, subs, and amps. That right there looks like rocket science to my simple mind!

4. GCncsuHD

GCncsuHD ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Nice! Much simpler than my method, although I didn't have the luxury of the XM receiver to wire it that way.

5. Jared

Jared Banned From GMFS

I'll be doing this soon.

6. Z71HULK

Z71HULK Texas Born & Raised!

Thanks Coop! I'm ordering mine right now!

7. 98bluedime

98bluedime GMFS Member

So i did this today to my 04 silverado with bose. I went to radio shack and bought a 3.5mm jack for less than $4. I seen on the first post that trying to wrestle the wiring harness out of the xm radio box was a pain in the ass but i figured out how to do it. When your looking at the harness, youll see all the wiring harness and then a blue tab on the far side of the harness. What you have to do is take a flat head screwdriver and pry that tab up. Then once the tab is up, it will allow you to push the clip in to release the wiring harness from the xm box. It took me a while to figure it out but once you know how to do it, it takes seconds. The only thing is that the jack i got from radio shack is kinda finiky. You can not put the cable from your ipod/phone all the way into the scoket, it has to be out just a little bit. If it is in to far one of the speakers will work half assed. This thread helped me alot so I just wanted to add what i learned along the way. If anyone has questions feel free to ask.

8. racer37

racer37 GMFS Member

Awesome! Great write up! Will be doing this as soon as my 3.5mm arrives!!

9. racer37

racer37 GMFS Member

Sticky!?!

10. Jared

Jared Banned From GMFS

11. Bumpers

Bumpers GMFS Senior Member

I just have a cable to my dd with a flash drive plugged into it.m no more cds :pepper:

12. Forklift

Forklift Wanna B Jack o all Trades

the only issue that I have with this is that the headphone jack on an iPhone or iPod isnt the best sound you can get out of one of them, the bottom port is the best

13. rsaucedo

rsaucedo GMFS Member

for me this is great as i dont have an ipod and my mp3 only has aux option for output

14. xlcooplx

I'm sure to an audio-guru like yourself, that would make all the difference. to someone like myself who considers the factory Bose system a good sounding system, the 3.5mm jack sounds exceptionally well. :crazy: I can't personally tell any difference between this setup and a CD.

15. Forklift

touche!

16. VegasJ

VegasJ Internet Tough Guy

So, set radio to XM... and tune to 0 so no audio from XM is playing right?

If I have this plugged into my iphone & tuned to say Octane I would be listening to both the Radio and my mp3 player?

17. Forklift

depends, theres a few styles of these jacks. One will kill the incoming audio when you plug a jack into it, another wont

18. VegasJ

VegasJ Internet Tough Guy

hmmm... I must try this saturday! good post, easy as hell. Sticky vote as well.

Someone mentioned earlier you;d get better sound using the other phone port instead of the headphone jack.

Maybe... if your ears notice the difference.... BUT, using the headphone port would allow you to still plug the phone into the cig lighter and keep it charged.

A must if using it on road trips or long 'to work' driving.

19. xlcooplx

The jack that I used from amazon overrides the XM channel for the most part. You can faintly hear it if you dont tune to zero. If you try charging at the same time, you get a whine that corresponds to your RPMs. I never charge mine in the truck though.

20. Jared

Jared Banned From GMFS

I'm sure I'll have to charge my Zune in the truck, is there a way around this?