CptMcDowell's 2011 Rado Build

Discussion in 'Under Construction' started by cptmcdowell, Aug 13, 2016.

1. cptmcdowell

cptmcdowell GMFS Member

So I originally posted this on 'silveradosierrra.com' so I'm gonna copy/paste my build threads in order. Ill put the date on them too. Enjoy!

2. cptmcdowell

cptmcdowell GMFS Member

APRIL 05, 2015

Picked up the truck last week and have LOVED it this week! Didn't have much time to get her any new toys until this weekend, but now, she has plenty new toys. So I had Friday off school and decided to take her over to the exhaust shop and get her fixed up good, the previous owner had converted her to true duals, however, he threw on muflers that no one could hear and it made her sound weak. So, I got some flowmaster 40's welded on as well as 2, 3" powder coated black tips. Brought my baby home and was admiring her rear, when I spotted something, malevolent. A flexfuel badge. Ew. So after another 20 minutes that was removed and all was well again.
    [​IMG]
    After exhaust job and badge removal

After I had done that I spent a long time messing with the subs the previous owner had installed, I finally tweeked the EQ on my factory radio to all the right settings so they didn't always rattle my door. I then realized I had not even looked to see what they were. [​IMG] took a look and boy, two kicker 10"s hooked up to a 4 channelkicker amp. I started wondering and soon came to the conclusion he had replaced the door speakers too, I took a look with my flashlight and I was right! Almost 700$ in an audio system and I didn't have to spend a dollar! [​IMG] (I'll get a picture of the subs later)

Later I had realized I still had the lower air valence on the truck spent 20 minutes jacking with my wrench and took that off and the pictures and really that great, but IMO it makes a big difference in person! It also doesn't help that my driveway is slanted so you cannot really get the full effect.
    [​IMG]
    Before

[​IMG]
    After

And yes, my neighbor, whose truck you can see in the background. Owns Silverado exactly the same as mine, except he has kids so his is a crew cab.

I decided she needed a bath, so after doing my moms arounds, I took her threw a car wash, didn't get any pics, but it was an A+ car wash and for only 3$ I will be returning. However, it rained this morning so that sucks.

Anyways I have lots planned for her, I need to think of a name too. Black Pearl maybe.?
    I want to get some tow mirrors however i think that once i start loosing the chrome parts it will look off.
    Has anyone on here demolded a truck after a couple years? I want to demold but i don't know if the paint will be off colored.

In the Future:
    -Plastidip: Back Bumper Caps
    Front Chrome Grille Peices
    MAYBE my OEM wheels? has anyone seen the 20" Texas Edition Wheels dipped before can't decied how it would look and I don't want to wast 7$ to try it out if someone else already has
    - Smoke Brake lights leave the reverse lights untinted
    -Leveling Kit, Any sugestions? (mom doesn't want a lift kit so we made a settle and since she paid for 1/4th of it i cant argue with her [yes I paid for 3/4th's of my truck from hauling hay in the summers]
    -Painted Black Door Handles
    -Cool Wheels, but since the dealer put brand new Nittos on im going to stick with 20" tires
    -Off road lights (cant affored Ridgid, anyone used Ebay lights?)
    -CB radio with PA system
    -CAI system
    -Intune
    -Toolbox
    -Clearing Headlights
    -HIDs?
    -Nfab's
    -Trailering Brake
    -Bull Bar
    -Horn (I want something that sounds like a truck, I mean c'mon GM)
    -Wheel Spacers if I dont purchase new wheels
    -Fender Flares

Welp, If your selling anything, or know someone who is, let me know! Thanks y'all!

3. cptmcdowell

cptmcdowell GMFS Member

APRIL 15, 2015

I had some free time after getting home from work and finishing up homework, so I threw in some LED dome lights in the front and rear.
    [​IMG]
    Rear, Because next there's a suprise

Next, I decided I would take on a project that was a couple steps above my skill set when it comes to electrical work to say the least. After a while of searching I found a guide that could help me so I decided I would go along with the Install, because whats the worst that could happen right? I decided to not disconnect thebattery, yeah I know, shame on me. But followed everything else to a point and got everything setup and realized I had wired it backwards. Rookie mistake. Rewired everything and boom, it doesn't work. Right before I loose my cool, I realize I had the dome override switch set so they wouldn't come on. Problem SOLVED. I think the LED strips turned out great.
    [​IMG]
    Whole front bench

[​IMG]
    Red LED's only

The way I set them up they only come on when the dome lights are on and I am still debating wether I want to throw in a override switch or not. Im thinking no at the moment. Anyways here is a link to the instructions to do this mod, really simple if you know what your doing. http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=257519

Another something I had done to my truck over the long weekend I had forgot to mention, yet I don't know how because it cost me a fortune, was my bed and rails got Line-X sprayed in. I asked them to not put in their decal and they didn't, it looks cheesy and gloaty IMO. I threw my Bed Mat back over it and will just let it sit there until it sells.
    [​IMG]
    Bedliner with pollen a folding chair and the bed mat

Finally my favorite mod so far on my truck, the What-A-Burger tent. If you ain't from Texas, you might not understand this one, but basically you wait until you luckily get your number (from your sport, football, baseball, lacross[if you can call that a sport]) and you then keep the tent, because they do not ask for them back. Then you put it in your Truck. Mine won't stand up for some reason, might be the corners @ 30mph. So I crammed it down into the VIN slot. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    What-A-Burger

4. cptmcdowell

cptmcdowell GMFS Member

APRIL 29, 2015

Been awhile since I updated this, I did the hidden antenna mod, lost my side steps, and swapped my ugly chrome handles for textured black so they will match my tow mirrors, when they get here. [​IMG] Dont have any pictures at the moment. Pics or it didnt happen, lol, Ill get some later though. Ordered my tow mirrors, VHT Nightshade, vent visors, and eraser wheel today, cant wait for the new goodies.

5. cptmcdowell

cptmcdowell GMFS Member

JUNE 17, 2015

A couple weeks ago I found a good deal on a set of Tow mirrors, and since I haul hay fairly often I figured why not. Went ahead and get them and the vent visors installed in a couple hours one afternoon and love the extra field of view, not to mention they help a lot with a 36' trailer.
    [​IMG]
    Tow mirrors and AVS Vent Visors

Since Ive been out for summer I've had some more time to mess around and find things to do. However, I unfortunately, bumped into someone [​IMG] and messed up my rear bumper somehow not a scratch on her car though. So it gave me an excuse to get the all black bumper that I wanted, and encouraged me to finally get the back-up sensors installed.
    [​IMG]
    Ebay Bumper for ~300 painted black

[​IMG]
    Backup sensors installed

After I got that all squared away I finally used some Plastidip on the interior trim, I decided red because its the secondary color of this truck, and Ace had that color.
    [​IMG]
    After 3 coats

[​IMG]
    All done up

[​IMG]
    One scratch on passenger side pisses me off smh

I plan to do some more pieces later this week. Im going to do the chrome gauge ring, the upper glove box red, and the silver piece in the gauge area red as well. Might also plastidip the Chrome on the grill black while Im at it, I dunno we will see. Finally, I used my weekend to clean the engine bay which was dirty. I used someones method on here and it worked great, the only complication was finding someone who would sell me the engine degreaser [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    CLEANN ;)

6. cptmcdowell

cptmcdowell GMFS Member

JUNE 28, 2015

I recently purchased a AirAid kit (MIT and performance filter) and wasted no time installing it, I unplugged the negative terminal on the battery while I installed it and when I cranked the truck man did it make a difference. I think the pervious owner never let the truck 'learn' the exhaust. My car is much smoother now, and not to mention the AirAid screams and sounds like my buddies supercharged truck around 4K RPM. All in all this is the best mod I have done and for 100$ it was steal.
    [​IMG]

I am currently working on my carbon fiber vinyl wrap project, I don't have any pictures of the pieces I have done yet, however I do have a picture of my worktable, I still have to do the drive and passenger window control panel as well as the steering wheel panels. after that I'm all done unless I can think of anything else that needs to be wrapped [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. cptmcdowell

cptmcdowell GMFS Member

JUNE 30,2015

My carbon fiber mod is 90% done, still have the steering wheel handles, steering wheel bowtie and maybe the map and dome light 'casings' if i still have enough for them both. Let me know what yall think. This is by FAR the best mod, 15$ and 12 hours or so, my favorite thing I have done so far. Lots of Pictures!!
    [​IMG]
    Driver side handle and control panel

[​IMG]
    driver side rear window control panel

[​IMG]
    Upper glove box

[​IMG]
    Passenger handle and control panel

[​IMG]
    Driver side with the triangle thingy done

[​IMG]
    Just a cool (crappy quality) pano picture

Let me know what yall think!

8. cptmcdowell

cptmcdowell GMFS Member

AUGUST 15, 2015

I recently painted over all the chrome on the front grill, and it looks great. Im probably going to paint or wrap the bowtie a different color to set it off. Im leaning for white or maybe red. In addition, I have joined the dump club, ran over to a buddys' shop on the way home just to talk and came out with it dumped over the axle, really cleans it up and makes it look good.I have also decided what Im going to run for my lift, its just a matter of building it, and saving up the money for it now. Ill post some pics when I take some.

Lift:
    3" Spindles
    2" Leveling Kit
    Deaver Mini Pack
    (or)
    3-4" Blocks - Haven't decided which route to go, wouldn't mind some advice
    Bilstein 5100s
    18x9 -12 Method Race Wheel Double Standards wrapped in 35x12.5 KO2s or 35x12.5 Grabblers

9. cptmcdowell

cptmcdowell GMFS Member

APRIL 12, 2016

Now that football is over and school is winding down I've had some time to work on some more mods. HornBlasters had a huge sale a while back and I got a PA system from them for 80$, it had one or two dings on the case but I wasn't too worried just bc I knew I was planning to build a console for it.

I then mocked it all up, ran the wires through and got working on the long tedious wiring process. After I wired it I just left it sloshing around in my truck for a week or two while I worked on building the console. The console is built out of 1/4" wood, wrapped in a faux leather, sits snug to the dash and looks great IMO, fills the space nicely. I plan to add any future switches to it (lightbars, trainhorns, etc).

[​IMG]
    Completed Console

After this I almost pulled the trigger on some spindles but the seller sold them to someone else... for less than I offered... so instead of purchasing some others I just decided to plastic dip my wheels and my door moldings, originally I wanted to de-mold, but decided that before I did that I would just Pdip them instead, I kinda like how it turned out. I also took of the Bowtie on the tailgate if someone wants it PM me. Its painted black with chrome outline.

[​IMG]
    P-Dipped wheels and moldings

[​IMG]
    Close up of the cleaned wheels

While I had the paint going I tinted the 3rd brake light, probably going to do the other two, to match it in the summer.

Hoping to have it lifted by July- can't wait!

Also looking into changing up the exhaust- would love to go to Pacesetter LTs to Texas Speed Y-pipe to a SI/SO Black widow 250 to a fender exit exhasut...... but idk if the wallet agrees [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. cptmcdowell

cptmcdowell GMFS Member

JUNE 24, 2016

Well, I jumped off the deep end, I worked a bunch of summer jobs and finally purchased a nice pre-runner style bumper and wrapped it up in Vinyl. After I finished that I picked up my Bilstein 5100s and threw those on and topped it off with some nice Method Race Wheel 17x9s, my Nitto's were done so I threw on some KO2s as well. Enjoy the pics! [​IMG]

I also need some Amber pods so if someone could give me a suggestion that would be great. Thanks.
    ATTACHMENTS
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Truck sits almost perfectly level Front-40.5" Rear-40" Thinking about pulling the rear block....

11. cptmcdowell

cptmcdowell GMFS Member

This is how it sits today, pods should be in next week, hopefully getting the pieces hanging down off the frame and some shackle mounts put on, then gonna hook up a CB, and who knows what next. Let me know what yall think!

12. TMAN

TMAN GMFS Member

Looks good Cleared black headlights would finish it off nicely

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

13. silverado addict

silverado addict GMFS Member

yes clear headlights plz

14. cbrsilv15

cbrsilv15 GMFS Member

Glad to see red plastidip go away. Lol

15. cptmcdowell

cptmcdowell GMFS Member

Yeah... we don't need to talk about that, bad mistake.

16. cptmcdowell

cptmcdowell GMFS Member

ON the note of black/cleared headlights, I want to, but its gonna cost me $ bc I'm not cutting these open, I'd buy a set of DEPO and bake them.

Right now I have to go get my bumper powder coated and that's gonna be expensive..

17. cptmcdowell

cptmcdowell GMFS Member

Over the past few days, ripped off the vinyl that the off-roading didn't. Then gave her a complete wash and detail.

De-Mud/Frame
    2 Bucket Wash
    Clay Bar
    Polish
    Wax

Looks REALLY good, mirror-like finish, I should do it more often.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. cptmcdowell

cptmcdowell GMFS Member

And in my opinion I kinda like the bumper, it looks kinda cool silver what do yall think?

19. slicksierra

slicksierra GM Plow Truck Owner

Nice truck man

live from the gutter trash.

20. cptmcdowell

cptmcdowell GMFS Member

Thanks