GMC Truck Forum banner

Debadging problems eraser wheel marks

22K views 21 replies 18 participants last post by  Catchmeon22s 
#1 ·
I'm in the process of debadging my dually but am having an issue with yellowing from the eraser wheel. I've tried everything I could think of, only other thing to try is to have a professional detailer come out and cut and buff it or leave it in the sun and see how it goes.

I can feel the residue on the surface of the clear coat but nothing is affective. Any help would be appreciated. Drill speed is kept low when using it.

See less See more
#2 ·
Wish I had pics from today.....

Just finished debadging and "de-stickering" my cousins white 07' GMC 2500HD RCLB work truck. It's been a work truck since day one and has 212k on it currently. Lots of contaminants on the clear, vinyl company logo adhesive, 2500HD badge ghosting, and "rail dust".

Washed, Eraser wheeled, clay'd, Adam's older "4 step" products and my PC. Looks great now!

Reactions: Adam's Polishes
#4 ·
Clay probably won't do it. I would use some 3m spray adhesive remover. Let it dwell a few minutes until the stuff gets gooey, then it should wipe away. May need to machine polish as well.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

#8 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I posted this same thread on pirate4x4 and a member on there said he believes the door(s) have a non factory clear coat that is burning up. tonight i finished the rest of the truck by hand and with the help of 3m adhesive remover so no yellowing there. Guess it's time to call a detailer.:chair:

#10 ·
I just used a eraser wheel on my truck and didn't have any problems

Reactions: DeanH1290
#11 ·
Or maybe I just need to look closer at my truck ha

#12 ·
Ive done 4 trucks and never got it lol

#16 ·
Some cheaper wheels will leave some eraser junk on the paint. I used a cheap ebay one on my cummins, left some eraser residue. Nothing a little clay and soap, or apc won't deal with. And if it doesnt, a light run with the polisher will clear it up no problem, but I doubt you'll go that far

#17 ·
That could be the case in my situation. Don't know what brand it is, as I'm borrowing it from a friend. Will check when I get home. Have to pick up a clay bar also.

#18 ·
Try WD40. Spray the residue, let it sit for a few minutes then wipe it with a microfiber rag. It looks like the contaminants that were around the badges got burnt into the paint from the wheel tho. You might have to wet sand and buff it if it really is burnt in.

#20 ·
It's from a cheap wheel,use lacquer thinner on a rag. Wipe it till completely clean and dry then use some med compound on a rag followed by a little wax until you do your normal detail. Depending the vehicles age emblems on white sometimes will leave ghost prints and need a good buffing.

#22 ·
I just had this same thing happen to me, I don't remember where I got the wheel but I used it twice before and no marks. Now I have an '05 white CCSB and it's showing up on there, along with some of the factory adhesive. To be fair, the eraser wheel is about 7 years old and it only showed up in certain areas. I tried a good compound and buff and it took some off, now I'm going to try to wet sand the area and see how that does.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.