Debating on Goodyear Duratrac or Toyo R/T

Discussion in 'Lifted Suspension & Offroad' started by pewter98, Mar 16, 2017.

Sponsored By: Tim's Suspension Online
  1. pewter98

pewter98 GMFS Member

It's been a while since I've been on this forum, but it's that time again to shop for some new shoes for my truck. Since I lifted my 2010 Silverado 1500 just before the 10,000 mile mark, I've gone through two sets of 295/65R18 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac tires:

Goodyear Duratrac:

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/wrangler-duratrac?step1=295&step2=65&step3=18&addr=Fort+Worth,+TX+76107,+USA&zip=76107&lat=32.737615&lng=-97.38407289999998

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Tires/Go...?t_c=13&t_s=536&t_pt=101509&t_pn=GDY312024142

Due to not paying close enough attention to my truck's alignment, I got some uneven tire wear and only got about 55,000 miles out of the first set. I'm currently running on the second set, have been rotating every 3,000-5,000 miles, have gotten an alignment every 6,000-10,000 miles thanks to Goodyear's unlimited free alignments, and just past 50,000 miles with significant tread left. Due to taking better care of this second set, I'm pretty sure I can reach 60,000 miles on these tires.

I've loved everything about these tires, except for the ever-increasing price. My first set of Duratracs were $285/tire in April 2011, the second set were $295/tire in January 2014, and now they're going for $319/tire! That got me looking at other options and I came across the Toyo R/T:

https://www.toyotires.com/tire/pattern/open-country-rt-on-off-road-rugged-terrain-tires

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Tires/To...spx?t_c=13&t_s=536&t_pt=101509&t_pn=TOY350220

I know these are somewhat new tires, but does anyone has any feedback on running the Toyo R/T on a 1/2 ton truck?

I'm fine with paying $120-140 for another set of Duratracs because I've had great success with my two sets, but I wanted to hear others on how the Toyo R/T performs and if they're worth the savings. Regardless of which tire I decide to go with, I'm going to shop around for the best price and get Discount Tire to price match it.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  2. benz88

benz88 GMFS Member

We put alot of Duratracs on customer trucks at work and people love them. Rotation is key, Hauling with them in the summer will eat them up quick though due to the soft compound. Moreso a factor on 3/4 and 1tons. Price definitely has risen since they came out.

Toyo RT is a Good Alternative as well as Falken Wildpeak AT3-W's which I run on my truck. Priced way better too than the duratrac

3. Phildirt

Phildirt n. fil-dert.

55k is good for any tire on a lifted truck. I say go with whatever looks best. They all wear out. If you rotate a lot they just wear out evenly.

4. jasonkelly214

jasonkelly214 GMFS Member

I bought duratracs in 2013 and just now down to 4/32". I got about 55000 miles out of them, mostly pavement. Loved them! Some people will note that sidewall rigidity isn't the best, and I would agree with that at least in my size 305/55r20. They ride fairly quiet, wear pretty even, do great in snow, and look really nice. Not great on sand.

I'm switching over to Toyo RT's on my next batch though because of two main reasons. They're $100 cheaper per tire, and the duratracs don't come in the size I want...there largest size in a 20" is a 325/60r20 and it's hard to find shops around here that would stretch that onto a 12 wide for me.

From everything I've read the Toyo RTs really are a great tire, my only holdback is that they don't look as aggressive as an MT.

And then another new tire worth looking at that I also considered is the new Nitto Ridge Grappler. And I recently found out that Nitto owns Toyo for what that's worth.

5. sschup1130

sschup1130 GMFS Supporting Member

I ran the Toyo RT since last May, I switched them to my stock rims for the Winter. Decided last week that rather then switching them back on to my Summer wheels I would get another set. The Toyo's were 285/55/20 and I wanted to go up to 295/55/20 for the 20x10 wheels I'm running for Summer.

Toyo didn't have that size so I went with the new Nitto Ridge Grappler in 295/55/20.
    Very similar tread design, cause as you know Toyo owns Nitto. I would highly recommend either one over the Duratrack. Never been fond of Goodyear or BF Goodrich.
    So far I've noticed the Nitto is quieter then the Toyo but I did prefer the look of theToyo tread design
    better.
    If I was you I would just get a 33x12.50x18 in either, you will be happy.

6. pewter98

pewter98 GMFS Member

Damn...$100 per tire more for Duratracs vs. a comparable sized Toyo R/T! Tires for 20" wheels are ridiculously more than for 18" wheel. When I was initially debating on whether to go with 18" or 20", the same height/width tires were $60-110 per tire more for 20's compared to the 18's version.

7. jasonkelly214

jasonkelly214 GMFS Member

Yeah it's spendy. I would imagine it has something to do with the sidewall construction or something. I'm looking at $1500 out the door for RTs in a 35 and I'm trying to get my lift at the same time and it's a pretty big bullet to bite. The wife's not thrilled but I've been pestering her about my lift for a year and a half now and there's no better time than when I need tires too.

8. kcrebel

kcrebel New Member

I have owned both the DuraTracs and the Toyo RT's. Without question the DuraTracs were a much better tire on my 3/4 ton. They lasted longer and were much better in wet sloppy conditions than the RT. The RT's were absolutely useless in any kind of muddy road. Literally spin on top of the ground. I plowed through many snowstorms in the DuraTracs as well as those same muddy roads without issue. Sidewall thickness is a concern and if you tow heavy in summer heat with the DuraTracs it's going to smoke the tread. I got 60k out of mine.
    The RT's I had to replace at 40k due to a damaged sidewall from road debris. Makes me wonder about the sidewall thickness being any better in real world driving to be honest.
    The DuraTracs were much quieter on the road but did offer a bit more initial squirreliness than the RT although that subsided as with all tires in less than 250 miles or so.
    I went with the Toyo MT's this time around. I do more heavy towing now than I was doing a few years back on top of living in the hotter part of the country made for the decision. I also do more off road driving in pastures and such so I wanted a tire that would give me max traction but still be stable at freeway speeds. I have been thoroughly impressed with the MT's so far. Don't over look them. They handle as well as either of the other tires on the road. Really no downside unless the tread wears out sooner. I rotate every 5k on the nose. I hope I can get 40k or more from them. Have friends that get 60k and 20k on theirs so who knows what will ultimately play out.

pewter98 likes this.
  9. Phildirt

Phildirt n. fil-dert.

:sparta:

This is GMFS there's no mud or snow driving allowed sir.

10. gmc00z

gmc00z GMFS Senior Member

In your experience who will/won't they price match? Im due for some tires soon and never had Discount Tire local before moving to DFW.

11. pewter98

pewter98 GMFS Member

I've had luck with Discount Tire price matching NTB and Tire Rack. They might try to say their offer of free shipping for special orders, benefits of the tire certificates, etc. might not allow for certain price matches. Just like with buying a truck, the key is to have the competitors prices on hand, remain firm, and remember there's always other places to buy from.

Having Discount Tire locally is great. Aother benefit in the DFW area is that they have a large regional warehouse, so out of stock and special orders usually only take a few days.

12. Redhulk

Redhulk New Member

Hey, buddy. These Toyo R/T tires are absolutely amazing. As long as you consider the GVWR of your vehicle and don't run them at the recommended tire pressure on the sidewall. With a half ton pickup, you can do about 35psi-40psi up front and 30psi-35psi in the rear. That tire pressure will still exceed the weight rating of the vehicle but give you a lot better ride quality. You must also consider tire size/wheel size combination. The more rubber=more air volume=better ride quality. I went against this and went with a 37x12.50 on 22" wheel but wow, I still have enough meat on the tire to run these air pressures and get a plush ride.

[​IMG][​IMG]

2006 GMC Sierra 1500 Z71 4x4. Cognito 10-12" lift, AAM 11.5" rear, 4.88 gears, 37x12.50R22 Toyo R/T, and much more to come

13. tallgood89

tallgood89 Resident nonmexican taco truck

CSB

14. Phildirt

Phildirt n. fil-dert.

He's had those Toyos for like a minute. Lol

15. Graystone

Graystone Mmm Sandwich

How can you review a tire you barely have the stickers worn off of

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

16. Redhulk

Redhulk New Member

I had them on my ram 2500. Same size. Some of you guys are so quick to talk shit like a bunch of fucking retarded without knowing anything. I've had my share of vehicle, fucking dipshits. I'm assuming you guys hating are just a bunch of low level redneck trailer trash fucktards.

This was my 2011 Silverado 3500 on Nitto Mud Grapplers. Size: 35.12.50 on 22
    [​IMG]
    This was my 2012 ram 2500 on Toyo A/T 2 35x12.50 on 20(before I switched to the R/T)
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    And here is my '97 12valve on Toyo M/T 37x12.50 on 20
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

So, do yourselves a favor and mind you own business. Stay out of people's shit if you haven't got a clue.

2006 GMC Sierra 1500 Z71 4x4. Cognito 10-12" lift, AAM 11.5" rear, 4.88 gears, 37x12.50R22 Toyo R/T, and much more to come

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  17. Redhulk

Redhulk New Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

So, Phildirt....I see that on just January, you were inquiring about the same thing. You can't even afford a set of Toyos? Amazing. It's not even worth bothering with your pathetic ass. If you're in a situation where you can't afford a set of tires, then stay the fuck out of other people's business. You shouldn't even attempt to chime in. In fact, you should step away from your computer, or smart phone device, and get a fucking job.

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  18. Phildirt

Phildirt n. fil-dert.

Now I see why you deleted all of your posts in that other thread. You are too insecure for the internet lol.

Not sure what me not being able to afford Toyo has to do with you reviewing a tire a couple days after you mounted it but nice try.

19. Phildirt

Phildirt n. fil-dert.

Here's a bunch of my friend's trucks. Lol

20. Redhulk

Redhulk New Member

Deleted it because of little douchebags like you.
    And I had the R/Ts on my RAM 2500 for about 35K miles. But that's irrelevant. What's important here is that people like you are what's wrong with this world and deserve to be burned alive in a cage. Just my two cents.