Driveline Clunk

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance' started by bluebirdvision, Dec 7, 2016.

Sponsored By: Black Bear Performance
  1. bluebirdvision

bluebirdvision New Member

Forgive me if I have posted this in the wrong spot. 1st time post here.

2011 Chevy Silverado z71 6spd has a drive-line clunk, both when changing gears, and when accelerating after coasting. I have had it to several shops, nobody seems to have any ideas. Been told it is normal backlash and some black lash is needed so that you don't tear the gears up. I understand some is normal, but this seems excessive. It really ruins the whole truck for me, as it also seems to cause it to felt when the truck is shifting thru the gears.

So far I have had the ujoints replaced with top of the line NAPA replacements w/grease fittings. When the truck is in the air, it seems as tho the clunking and banging is coming from the slip yoke area.

Here is a sample:

2. Kellen_E

Kellen_E GMFS Member

3. bluebirdvision

OK, Thanks. It was clunking and banging so bad I was sure my t orque converter was going bad.

Funny thing, every time I get an oil change/the wheels come off the ground, it'll stop doing it for a few mines. It must change the angle of the drive shaft/ujoints/slipyoke.

4. Kellen_E

Kellen_E GMFS Member

Does it go away if you jack the front of the truck up a little?

5. bluebirdvision

yes, it seems too, I also noticed, if I brake torque it while in gear, although it goes into gear right away, in reverse there is a 'clunk.' And sometimes right before i come to stop there is a clunking. This truck sounds like a 50 year old international bus going down the road.

6. Kellen_E

Kellen_E GMFS Member

Time for a leveling kit imo

7. bluebirdvision

Took it in for an extreme vibration (on christmas of all days) they found a defective replacement u joint which egg shaped either the slip yoke or another part of the drive shaft (can't remember what he said). Its got to be sent out to be rebuilt. You can almost lift the drive shaft up with one hand. At least its not a Chevy defect. If it was I'd trade this in.