Electrical system upgrades...Opinions required.

Discussion in 'Audio & Electronics' started by SilverSquared, Jan 12, 2018.

Sponsored By: EMF Car Audio
  1. SilverSquared

SilverSquared I'm just fat. Plain fat.

I am about to change my amps. I currently have dB Drive A7 75.4 and dB Drive A7 1500.1.
    I am getting Orion XTR 4000.1 and Orion XTR 1700.4.

I am getting a dual alternator bracket/belt setup. Having a pair of 160a stock alts rebuilt at
    a local place that does some pretty nice upgrades for a good price. Nobody local has ever
    had a bad experience, so I'll give him a shot.

Under my hood I have a stock location battery (behind driver headlight) and I have the tray
    to put one on the passenger fender.

Should I put a stereo battery there, like an XS D4800? Or should I put it in the bed, closer to
    the amps?

For the amps I am going Dual 1/0 inputs on each power and each ground. on each power lead pair
    I will have a 2 way fused distro block. This will give me 3-1/0 runs for each amp, giving me 1 spare
    lead for whatever else I may add. This is the distro Im referring to.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/KnuKonceptz-KNF36-2-Way-1-0-Gauge-Fuse-Distribution-Block-Dual-1-0-Out-w-Fuses/380701568113?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

So, with that being said, battery and battery location is what I need opinions on, truly. I was
    considering the Kinetik HC3800 batteries too. From the alt, I think I will run a pair of 1/0 for the
    charging leads. Will it suffice, or should I go dual 2/0?

I do NOT park n play my systems. I play when driving. I mute at stop lights n such. When people
    so ask to hear, I do demo, but thats RARE. Just want to get it straight before I install the new XTR
    setup.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  2. ibanender

ibanender www.emfcaraudio.com

The only way you could make this more of a list of things I wouldn't do is to say you're using Sky High wire. Those Orion amps are overrated crap. Doing a pair of stock alts is way more effort and probably more cost than just doing a good single alternator to get at best the same result. I would put an XS Power battery from EMF under the hood, but that won't be enough, you'll need one in the back too (for best results). Doing the second one under the hood is OK but remember, you have the full amperage draw from the amps going through that which is close to 500 amps. For that you'd have to run two runs of OFC 1/0 front to back compared to doing 1 run by putting the battery in the back. I'll spare the story on why you should avoid Kinetik.

Now, with that out of the way, I will also mention the dual power inputs are a waste of money. You won't see a difference, at all. Even for SPL you gain a few tenths when wired below 0.5, that's it. There is a reason they don't have a bunch of power inputs from the manufacturer, it doesn't need it.

3. Nasty

Nasty GMFS Senior Member

This

4. SilverSquared

What alt would you recommend?

5. Nasty

Nasty GMFS Senior Member

2 xs under the hood. 1 single hairpin alt. Depending on the amp maybe another battery on the inside

6. ibanender

There are only 2 brands of alternator I will use, DC Power and Excessive Amperage. Those are the only 2 that have never failed on me and do what they're supposed to do.

7. Nasty

Nasty GMFS Senior Member

I have a uslternators 240 amp in my 07

8. ibanender

That's not the one from Ebay for $200 is it? That sounds like the name, and they do about 120 amps and fail after 9 months, routinely.

9. Nasty

Nasty GMFS Senior Member

No I'm not that dumb. How it started from what the owner told me was he needed an alt for his car. He went to dc paid. And they couldn't do it. So he started building his own.

10. SilverSquared

On Tuesday I picked up, or was given rather, an EA 350a alt. Friend of mine wasnt using it so he gave it to me. It is an older unit, but still works.
    I'll run it as a second alt, so the stereo can have its own isolated charging system.

[​IMG]

11. ibanender

I run a single DC Power 370 with way more power than you. Don't bother with the dual, just use that one.