Help window will not go up

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by GreystoneCC, Mar 18, 2009.

1. GreystoneCC

GreystoneCC GMFS Member

Ok i am kinda confused and need some help. I rolled my windows down on my 03 Silverado yesterday and now the passenger one will not come up. If i go to hit the switch it just makes a click and then does nothing. And then there are sometimes were it will go half way up and stop, If i go to roll it down it will go down and then only go halfway up again when i try. At first i thought the motor was bad but now i dont know. Anyone have any ideas? and is there anything i can do to get my window back up just temporarily?

2. Denaliano

Denaliano Resident Guinea Wop

Sure sounds like the cable on the regulator snapped.

Take the door panel off and manually lift it up. If it won't budge, then the motor is probably dead or needs a good whack with a hammer. Once up, tape it in place. Get it fixed.

3. 96z-71

96z-71 .

:word:
    regulators are cake:imo

4. Hunter.

Hunter. FoTfive'dpokinoutdaside

To get it all the way up get a buddy hold the button up and use both hands on both sides of the doors to get it all the way up till you get it fixed.

5. 00pewter

00pewter GMFS Member

Yes they are, I just replaced mine 2 days ago. I had to use the motor off of my old one though. For some reason, the driver side regualtors came with new motors, but the passenger side doesn't....:think:

6. Cptchunky89

Cptchunky89 GMFS Member

Been doing it this way for awhile now driver side window is all streaky

7. jeff85yz

jeff85yz 08 VORTECMAX 4x4

Mine would do the same, like the motor was getting old. Sometimes I just had to start the truck to get the voltage up. I think the battery is getting old as well. BUT, I put some teflon lithium grease in the track of the window, works like a charm now. Doesn't slow down or stop. goes all the way up at the same speed. AWESOME! $6 fix

8. TooExtreme2002

TooExtreme2002 GMFS Member

Mine is doing the same thing. When the motor gets too hot it will turn off completly until it cools. It will still click initially. Passanger side as well. Grease did not work for me at all. They say dont go generic. Even the lifetime warranty ones are not worth it. You will need to change them every few months according to other members.

9. theholycow

theholycow AllOffTopic.com FTW!

x2.

10. Mike D

Mike D New Member

Pull out the fuse for the left door, inside the panel, its a 25 amp silver fuse..clean the contacts with WD40 and replace, this should give a quick fix.

11. Hunter.

Did you realize this was from March of 2009?

12. 05GMC2500HD

05GMC2500HD GMFS Member

He probably did not but either way, I have a 2005 gmc and just ran into this problem when I installed my tow mirrors tonight. It was working fine before I put the mirrors on.:mad:

13. Hunter.

You make sure all the plugs were making a good connection to the window switch?

14. 05GMC2500HD

05GMC2500HD GMFS Member

I guess it wasn't perfectly fine. It was going up slow before I put mirrors on, but I think now that I put mirrors on I am associating it with the mirrors. It seems to be a common problem with these trucks for the regulator and motor to go bad so I am assuming that is what it is.

15. ecnar

ecnar GMFS Member

I'm having a similar issue in my 2003 Sierra 1500 quadrasteer. Tonight when I let the driver side window down, I heard a loud pop. After that the window would not go back up when I pulled up on the button. However, when I pushed the button down the window slowly went back up all the way. I haven't tried putting it back down. Any ideas? Thanks,