Help With 4L60E

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Raksj04, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Raksj04

Raksj04 GMFS Member

I had my transmission rebuild by a local shop and now it failed after only a few hundred miles but since life got in the way I took over a year to install it and the warranty expired as it sat in my garage. It feels like I lost second gear the fluid turned Purple. I remove the pan and saw what looks like clutch material at the bottom ( see attached Image). I am thinking about getting a replacement transmission and I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for replacements. I was thinking about doing a 4.8L/5.3L swap at some point however I am not sure when I will have the means to do so.

The truck is a 1994 C1500 2WD TBI 5.7L/350 CID 4L60E.

20161229_160222_001.jpg

2. hetzler_l33

hetzler_l33 New Guy

Maybe a broken drive shell? That'll leave you with 1st gear only and no reverse. Personally, I haven't had any problems with my 4L60E *touch hood* but I've heard the turbo 400 trans does really well and I'm sure it'll work with your 5.7 350 but check on that

3. Raksj04

Raksj04 GMFS Member

I think I still have Reverse, I just got back from overseas so it has been a few months, I think the shop did a bad rebuild plus the Truck does has almost 300k miles on it.
    I would have to figure out the Kickdown cable if I switched to the Turbo 400 trans.

If I had the money I would just swap to T56 Manual transmission since I am not a fan of Automatics, lol.

4. hetzler_l33

hetzler_l33 New Guy

Well I'm not too familiar with transmissions but you're military? Yeah it's not rare for shops to ask crazy prices but do the worst possible job and those 5.7s will last forever, no matter how many miles are on it. But rebuilding it won't break the bank either since they're one of the most popular. As for the trans, a manual will probably be a good project unless you find a replacement 4L60E. If I could, I'd definitely have a stick over my auto any day because they're a whole lot more fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swampfoxjr likes this.
  5. Raksj04

Raksj04 GMFS Member

My current Plan is to just get A 4L60E from O'reillys, since I may have to DD the truck, or use it to move cross country in a couple months.

Then LS/vortec swap with a manual trans, would love a T56. and a 5.3L from a Trailblazer since they are all Aluminum, however I am also a fan of the Little 4.8L.

6. Graystone

Graystone Mmm Sandwich

They put the l33 in the trucks too not just the trailblazers

7. hetzler_l33

hetzler_l33 New Guy

Yep, sure did. Only about 15% of 05-07C extended cab Z71 Silverados and Sierras have them. I have one in my 05 Silverado and it LOVES eating oil, but I can honestly say I've never had a better engine. These are the best and are very dependable, plus you can hear the sound difference in the aluminum L33 vs. the iron LS1. It almost purrs at idle

8. Graystone

Graystone Mmm Sandwich

Meh would rather have an iron that does not burn it. I had one in my 06 as well. It was nice but I would not pay more for one if I had the choice between it and an lm7

9. Machingeaneer

Machingeaneer GMFS Member

What's the story with that? Is there a maintenance issue that causes the oil consumption or is it just an unreasonably thirsty engine?

10. hetzler_l33

hetzler_l33 New Guy

I wouldn't say a maintenance issue and I'm honestly not too sure myself but if I had to take a swing, I'd say it has something to do with how the aluminum block expands from the heat. Because of that, the cylinder sleeves probably gain tolerance which lets tiny amounts of oil past the rings where it gets burned. Is that true? I mean who knows? Everyone I've ever talked to says it's just how the engine is and I guess maybe that's exactly what it is. It'd make sense since the L33 is a engine that was made from parts off other GM motors. It is designed after the LM7, but in aluminum, and the pistons are flat like in the 4.8s instead of dish in the other 5.3s. The camshaft was completely different from any other GM designed engine which is why it has a higher HP and torque compared to the iron 5.3s. The heads were similar to the LS2 and LS6 heads with some minor tweaking which also helped the compression ratio from 9.5:1 to 10.0:1. Pretty neat engine IMO and don't let the fact that it eats oil defer you. It will serve you well plus I think of it as a reminder as of when to change your oil. It keeps you up on proper maintenance to keep it firing smooth.

11. swampfoxjr

swampfoxjr GMFS Member

I spent $1200(including core) for a 4l70e(inside a 4l60e case lol) rebuild. Upgraded frictions, 5 planetary gears, pinless accumulators, vette servo & etc. also put in an I6 trailblazer converter(i have a 5.3 nbs silverado). If you are planning a swap, just buy engine & trans together, n get the harnesses & ECU. From there all you should need is a mounting kit(trans mount crossmember, engine mounts, & a tune. You may need to get different accessory drive brackets, but I doubt it since it is going in a truck.

12. Raksj04

Raksj04 GMFS Member

I was referring to the LM4 or LH6, since I think it will be cheaper and easier to find.

Where did you have it built it?

I would love to do a full engine swap, but I lack time and the space to do so. I am moving from Portsmouth Va to the Quadcities in IL/Iowa, as soon as I get my hard copy orders. I am indeed Military.

swampfoxjr likes this.
  13. swampfoxjr

swampfoxjr GMFS Member

I understand i'm in the army(stationed in CO used to work in Suffolk, Va beforehand lol) i had a shop here in CO build mine, they build n ship worldwide. Outlaw transmissions[​IMG]

14. Raksj04

Raksj04 GMFS Member

The website doesn't seem to work for outlawtransmission

15. swampfoxjr

swampfoxjr GMFS Member

Call em

16. GeorgesBlazah

GeorgesBlazah woo

17. Raksj04

Raksj04 GMFS Member

Thank you all for your help, I went with a O'reilly transmission just because of time and money constraints.