Help with "reduced engine power"

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by B_mcl6, Jan 9, 2017.

1. B_mcl6

B_mcl6 GMFS Member

After work today around 7pm I started my truck and the check engine light was on with a message saying "reduced engine power". It's an 06 1500 5.3 crew cab with very little issues thus far... The truck drove fine on my way to work in the morning. Luckily I drive a tow truck for work and was able to get it home, but didn't get the chance to check the code out. If anyone has any experience with this issue, help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks

2. Graystone

Graystone Mmm Sandwich

The code will tell you more than people on the Internet guessing

3. MaineChevy08

MaineChevy08 New Member

It's happened on my 08 5.3. Ended up being a bad ground. You can use jumper cables from your strut tower bolts or another part of the body or frame and then to your motor ( I clampted it to the flange near the alternator.) and it will get you home and serve as a temporary fix.. Atleast that worked for me. Then you can get some 0 gauge cable and make a new ground from your motor to frame and you should be good.

4. Stickboy97

Stickboy97 GMFS Member

The code should tell you, but I had the same error and it turned out to be a bad fuel rail sensor.

5. ChevyTexan

ChevyTexan New Member

I'm having the same "Reduced Engine Power" error message on my 2003 Silverado 2500HD. Have already replaced the full Throttle Body assembly with new GM parts. New battery as well. Diagnostics showed:
    P0120, P0220, P2135, P1515, P1516
    Throttle Actuator Cont Mod has been replaced as well.

Any ideas?

6. ChevyTexan

ChevyTexan New Member

I'm having the same "Reduced Engine Power" error message on my 2003 Silverado 2500HD. Have already replaced the full Throttle Body assembly with new GM parts. New battery as well. Diagnostics showed:
    P0120, P0220, P2135, P1515, P1516
    Throttle Actuator Cont Mod has been replaced. Still happening.

Any ideas? Did you ever find a legitimate fix?