HID issues/help?

Discussion in 'Lighting & Illumination' started by nygiant75, Dec 8, 2016.

1. nygiant75

nygiant75 GMFS Member

I'm having what I think is an issue although it might not be. I'm trying to give as much info as I can here in hopes of getting a definitive answer. Here it is below. I'll post some pics in a few.

So it's been determined that the shadow I'm seeing is called a "Ground Wire Shadow". I googled ground wire shadow hid, and found my exact issue is well known and many others have it in all types of vehicles. It's due to the H11 bulb or any bulb for that matter having the "electrode" or "return wire" installed running along the top of the bulb. Everything is then sent out through the lense backwards due to it being reflected. If the wire is on the top then you end up with the shadow projecting down and into the light pattern on the street as you see in my pics.

I called The Retrofit Source and there is a H11B bulb he said is the same fitment except when installed, the return wire/electrode will be on the bottom of the bulb. This will reflect up and out of the lens which will be up in the air and not on the road causing a shadow. I called the shop that installed mine and he said they will swap them out for me with a bulb that their supplier sells that's an H11B, not Morimoto that TRS sells but it will be the same design with the wire on the bottom when installed.

So just some more info if anyone is following this or can maybe give me their advice too. I have been flashed at least a half dozen times over the past 2 months when driving with just the lows on which are the 35w 5000k HID's. I also notice that whenever I am behind a car while driving or pull up behind one at a light, I just totally flood their interior out with my lights. It's like I have a huge lift or something but I don't. It just got to bothering me. So, yesterday I went into a shop that does state inspections and has one of those aiming machines that they use to aim lights and make sure they are within spec. Long story short.............He said my lights are "dead on" and so are the high beams. No adjustment needed and didn't charge me for looking because no adjustments were needed!

So, I left there feeling good that I am not out of aim but it still begs the question......why a I getting flashed periodically and totally flooding out the interior of cars when I'm behind them? Is it because the truck sits so high because it's a 2500HD 4x4? That's the only thing I can think of. I mentioned it to the guy at the auto shop and he said that's probably why too. Even though they are aimed properly, should I have had them taken down some? Or, would that be bad for me since I wouldn't be getting the correct distance in front of me according to the light aiming machine they use for state inspections?

Can anyone with more knowledge/experience give me their opinion?

The second part of this issue relates to something else. That the fact I still would like more light output on the street. Not for looks or to be obnoxious, but for my own visibility. I was driving the other night in the pouring rain on a 4 lane road divided by a double yellow. Granted, the white dotted and solid yellow painted lines probably haven't been repainted in like 15-20 years it seems like and you can hardly see them on a dry night. But with the rain I had to brake to a crawl because I thought I was going to run off the shoulder and was probably straddling the dotted line and riding in both lanes because I couldn't see. Is this just a combo of the bad paint marking and the wet roads with 5000k HID's sitting up high in a truck? Or, again, should I have the lights aimed down a little because even though they are aimed where they should be according to the machine, this event I just described along with getting periodically flashed and flooding the interior of cars out while behind them actually shows that not all the light that should be on the road is getting there? I just don't know what to do and it's really bothering me because I drive in the dark a lot.

One other thought I had was switching to a 55watt HID kit. Would that be a big difference? But then the close to $400 I spent for the 35w kit and installation is just totally wasted. Hopefully someone can help me out. Thanks!

2. nygiant75

nygiant75 GMFS Member

Here are some pics of the shadow I'm seeing. Hopefully these H11B bulbs will fix the issue. The guy at TRS said it would. It look worse in person than the pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. nygiant75

nygiant75 GMFS Member

Here are some pics of the lights from inside the truck

Here I am behind a car at a light. Can you see how his headrests and inside are being flooded? Seem normal? I feel bad anytime I'm behind someone.

[​IMG]

Here is another example. I was in a parking lot parked. There is an aisle you can drive in between me and that truck across from me. Can you see how my lights are flooding the inside of the truck? Again, look normal?

[​IMG]

Not sure if this is something to use for comparison or not, but there was a semi trailer in a parking lot. I noticed my lights were hitting the bottom edge of it. I was around 12-15 feet from it. Seem normal?

[​IMG]

4. MChap15

MChap15 GMFS Member

Aim your lights lower if you don't want to blind other drivers. I aimed my projectors to hit just below the side mirrors of 90% of cars, but occasionally I still feel like an asshole when I'm behind really low cars. Just part of being up so high.

Even though the cutoff of the new truck's halogen projectors isn't the worst, if you want better output then do a proper HID projector retrofit. Though if this pic is your low beam output and you still can't see well at night, then you might should get your eyes checked cause that looks pretty damn bright

5. nygiant75

nygiant75 GMFS Member

Yeah if that's the case then I guess I'll just have to stick with what I have.

Also, the pictures make the light look a lot brighter than it actually looks in person from behind the wheel.

6. nygiant75

nygiant75 GMFS Member

Also, since the shop that does state inspection said everything is where it's supposed to be, if I were to aim them down even a little that would probably not be a good thing for me do you think?

7. B_Pier

B_Pier GMFS Member

Aiming down is only going to make it harder for you to see and still blind drivers occasionally. As for wet roads, white light is usually washed out when it rains. To make it easier, I use my fog lights with amber filters when I know it's going to be wet/snowy.

Also, I have to ask: what brand cost $400 for an H11 HID kit?

8. nygiant75

nygiant75 GMFS Member

OK well that's good information to know. I have some LED bulbs in my fog lights but they are so freaking bright they go to the side and up and just totally blind everybody to. So can only really use those on back roads. Unless those need to be aim down as well I don't know. Maybe I just need to get some projector fog lights? Seems like a lot of money to be spending though

As far as the HID kit I had installed, it was by a local stereo shop that does custom installs and lights. It's made by GTR lighting and it's called a Hylux system. He gave me a lifetime warranty on the bulbs and ballast's so I'm sure there's extra money worked into the price to cover any problems in the future rather I have them or not. I think the H ID kit itself was around $270 and then there was labor to install it and whatever price he works in for the lifetime warranty.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  9. B_Pier

B_Pier GMFS Member

Okay I guess that makes sense. For fog lights, maybe look into the Morimoto fog lights or do what I did and get the Rigid SAE pods with amber filters. They're able to be aimed very easily and have a nice wide but narrow beam pattern.

10. B_Pier

B_Pier GMFS Member

Proper lighting setups get expensive very quickly. The payoff is worth it though depending on how much you drive at night and how much you put into it. I drive at night about 50% of the time, so all my vehicles have a good chunk of change thrown at the lighting systems.

11. nygiant75

nygiant75 GMFS Member

Yeah I want to say someone else or maybe myself while searching, saw those Morimoto projector fogs. Can't remember the price though.

I will have to Google those rigid sae lights you just referred to. I'm not familiar with them but I'm willing to take a look.

12. nygiant75

nygiant75 GMFS Member

Yeah you're right about things getting expensive quickly. You think a $50,000 truck would come with top-of-the-line lights or at least something close to top-of-the-line.

I am I light freak by the way. I have several flashlights I go overboard at Christmas I'm always switching lightbulbs out at home with the latest thing I just love lights. So I know I'm probably the one with the problem...ha ha.

It's also the time of year where there's hardly any daylight from now until the late spring time when I really noticed the shortcomings of the vehicles lights.

I just get jealous anytime I see a BMW or Mercedes or Audi car or SUV and how freaking bright and clear their headlights are.

13. nygiant75

nygiant75 GMFS Member

14. Graystone

Graystone Mmm Sandwich

You are confusing premier brands with what you have. You are not going to get top of the line in anything but top of the line. Maybe out of a top option truck but doubtful. Remember most of these trucks are fleet trucks and at the end of the day chevy just started putting projector style lens in their trucks 3 years ago.

15. nygiant75

nygiant75 GMFS Member

Ha ha.....I consider a chevy truck to be PREMIER! Unless those damn German imports really are better??? (sarcasm) I know...just sucks spending that amount of money then having to change the headlights and fogs.

16. Graystone

Graystone Mmm Sandwich

Does it make you feel better that 10 years ago the same truck would go for $10g less?

17. nygiant75

nygiant75 GMFS Member

No it doesn't! I know firsthand and that's what makes it worse. I had a 2002 2500HD I bought in 03 with 12k miles on it and if I remember correctly it was around 34k or so. Not I just got a 2015 2500HD in August for close to 50. I guess that's called inflation.....

18. nygiant75

nygiant75 GMFS Member

Well I just got those H11B bulbs installed earlier today. Getting ready to go out so I'm hoping that's the end of those annoying shadows in the light pattern.

19. nygiant75

nygiant75 GMFS Member

Much better, those annoying shadows are gone!