How to Install an Alarm/Keyless/Remote Start & Locks in a 99-07

Discussion in 'Audio & Electronics' started by Forklift, Dec 18, 2007.

Sponsored By: EMF Car Audio
  1. Forklift

Forklift Wanna B Jack o all Trades

at the bcm or the switch

2. torres1708

torres1708 GMFS Member

I need the positive wire that will light up the parking lights when it sees power. It says it's a brown wire at the kick panel, but it doesn't work. I also used a brown wire from the switch and it still didn't work. Any ideas, or am I using the wrong wire. I have an 04 Silverado. Thanks.

3. spanky

spanky GMFS Senior Member

IIRC there are a couple of brown wires. You need to verify which one sees +12v when the switch is on.

4. torres1708

torres1708 GMFS Member

I found one that lights up when I turn the switch on, but when I hook up the lead from the alarm, they don't light up.

5. kacuina

kacuina New Member

6. Forklift

Forklift Wanna B Jack o all Trades

grey/black is negative at the switch

7. crazyboy

crazyboy New Member

Anyone hook up a pljx? I cant get it to work. Have red going to +12, black spliced into the Orange Black from the key cylinder, Pink going to the ignition wire, Violet to the starter, and and blue to the yellow from the key cylinder.

8. crazyboy

crazyboy New Member

Ripped out the PLJX and put a DBall in its place, and it worked first try. :signs1:

9. Chris12

Chris12 Shit Disturber

I read this entire thread. I think I've got it, but I just want to be certain.

I have an '06 with power locks/windows and keyless entry. I just want to add remote start, and hopefully maintain my factory keyless entry remote (If I need to upgrade to the '07 style, that would be fine too - I'm just trying to be cheap.)

I am planning on buying:

1) Xpresskit Xk01 Remote Start Key Bypass Module Xk-01
    2) Avital 4103LXL Remote Start System

This is all I need, right?

10. el_flores

el_flores GMFS Member

That sounds right. If the Avital doesn't have an onboard relay for the parking lights, you will need a relay to make them work. They work off a (-) signal, not a positive (+). I just installed a remote start on an Avalanche and I have to say it was one of the easiest installs I've ever done. I don't know much this is going to run you, but check out Autotoys. http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=23595 and the bypass module is http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=11376. These were what I installed and like I said, the customer and I were very pleased with everything including the end result.

11. Chris12

Chris12 Shit Disturber

Thank you for the reply.

I am very glad I read through this post. I always envisioned screwing around with the starter and stuff like that. The tutorial (thank you very much to the author), makes it seem completely do-able, and its cheap!

Can I program my stock '06 factory fob to work with this, or would I need an '07+? I know the kit will come with one, but I like to keep it factory.

12. el_flores

el_flores GMFS Member

That I do not know. I usually just told the customers to use the aftermarket fob for everything so they wouldn't have to carry two. But I have read and heard about using the factory fob to control everything. Maybe someone else will chime in and answer that question. I was very impressed with the D2D bypass module. Didn't have to tap into the door lock wires, door pins, factory disarm, and on some, you don't even have to worry about the tach signal. It takes care of that too! Anyway, good luck, GM's are actually pretty straightforward and I doubt you'll have too much trouble.

13. Chris99GMC

Chris99GMC Burning Rubber

Use the key fob that comes with the alarm, esp if you plan on using remote start... The aftermarket transmitter has MUCH farther range. I couldn't imagine how worthless the RS function would be with the range of the factory key fob.

14. ..miller..

..miller.. a.k.a countryslicker

Just installed a Directed Electronics Designtech remote start. When the truck starts I can hear the unit clicking and at the same time i notice the compass on my mirror resetting. It clicks several times then shuts off, restarts, then does the same. It does this twice then wont try again. I put it into diagnostics and it gives me a code saying, low battery voltage, or may be missing an ignition wire which powers up the alternator. Battery is good and all wires are hooked up... Any help???

15. Chris12

Chris12 Shit Disturber

I just picked up a '13. It says that it has wiring provisions for remote start.

So, I basically just need to buy a remote start module, and make sure it fits the harness... right?

Sorry if this has been answered, I didn't read the whole thread.

16. Chris12

Chris12 Shit Disturber

So, I'm going to buy the oem kit for $170 (22970855). It comes with two oem key fobs and does require dealer programming, I'm hoping the mechanics at work can do it. (We have a newer tahoe and a suburban in our fleet). If not, I'll go back to the dealer I purchased from and see if they'll do it.

17. Nuttzzy

Nuttzzy GMFS Member

Awesome write up man... I'll be using this.

18. Dirty-Dan

Dirty-Dan GMFS Member

I have a 2012 silverado and I just ordered the viper 5906v alarm/remote start kit and DBALL2 bypass kit. Does anyone know if a key is required to be left inside the bypass module or not?

19. jonyb

jonyb Stay Gold!!!!

DBALL2 doesn't use a key.

20. jonyb

jonyb Stay Gold!!!!

I don't know about the kit that you speak of, but OEM remote start that comes on the NNBS trucks is awful. You cannot control the heat or a/c, making it come on high, or a certain position. Example: There's 2' of snow on your truck. An aftermarket remote start will allow you to set the defrost on high or close to it, then when the truck is started by remote start, the defrost is on, windshield is warmed, snow goes away fast. With OEM, you don't get that, and the truck is still cold because the heat is blowing out the vents and the fan is on low. Same with summertime, it barely turns the a/c on. They definitely didn't have the drivers comfort in mind when they designed this. Other aggravations that OEM doesn't take care of:

If CEL is on, remote start won't work
    It only has a 10 minute runtime
    You can do "valet take over", or "short stop", or "idle down mode" with OEM
    (those modes allow you to place the truck in remote start mode, remove key, exit truck, and lock doors, all while it stays running. That feature is very handy, not only for security purposes, but for comfort as well.