How to Install an Alarm/Keyless/Remote Start & Locks in a 99-07

Discussion in 'Audio & Electronics' started by Forklift, Dec 18, 2007.

Sponsored By: EMF Car Audio
  1. Chris12

Chris12 Shit Disturber

I like to keep things OEM on my truck. I like the OEM look and the fact that it is now covered under warranty. Not only are aftermarket kits not covered, but incorrect installation can further void the warranty.

I don't have snow in my area, but I have never had a problem with the distance of the remote start, or the remote start not reaching the truck from inside a structure. Last week I started the truck from 500+ feet away, and I routinely start the truck when I'm inside a two story steel frame and cinder block structure, which allows no cell service into the building.

I'm certain the truck senses the outside temperature and takes action to create a comfortable climate inside the vehicle. I had an '07 Esky previous to this truck, and I think it heated the steering wheel and seats when it was cold too. If equally equipped , the trucks should do the same, as well as HVAC countermeasures.

I wasn't aware of the other shortfalls you mentioned and I can do without them. Though I do know what it's like to have something, then know what you're missing.

My CEL is on now and my truck won't remote start. This pisses me off.

I'm just defending my decision to go with OEM here and to clear up some confusion. I don't dispute the fact that aftermarket units that have these features are superior, but personally I worry about long term durability.

2. Dirty-Dan

Dirty-Dan GMFS Member

Ok, thanks!

3. jonyb

jonyb Stay Gold!!!!

I've got a Clifford 1 mile LCD remote start on my work car. I had it on the current car, the last 2 trucks I've had, and a CTS-V. It's 5 years old. That's long-term durability. In the end, you're OEM remote is nothing more than the one I've got, so there's nothing to make it last longer than mine.

4. TruckDoctor32

TruckDoctor32 GMFS Member

Need help ASAP!! Installing an AutoPage alarm on my truck. The ignition wire needed for the DBALL2 kit is supposed to read 0volts in every position except crank. For some reason it is reading around 5volts. So it's not giving the correct voltage to the interface to allow it to detect voltage change to crank the truck. Geek Squad at Best Buy is installing it and they've tried everything. The system worked fine with an FL-CAN module because it doesn't need that one wire. Problem is I ordered the DBALL2 and don't want to piss off $100 on it. Can anyone please explain why the yellow ignition wire is reading 5volts when not in crank position? Or what to do to fix the problem!

PS. It's a 2001 Silverado 1500 with an AutoPage C3-RS730.

5. jonyb

jonyb Stay Gold!!!!

Yellow 12 gauge wire is starter. If it shows 5v, battery is dead or the ground lead on they're meter is jacked up.

6. TruckDoctor32

TruckDoctor32 GMFS Member

Which battery are you saying is dead? Truck battery? Even if his volt meter was jacked up, the module should still program if it had the correct voltage of 0. Wouldn't it? I was with them when they were trying to install it. I'm no idiot when it comes working on trucks or installing radios, etc. But I am new to alarm install so I have no idea how to help. The FL-CAN module programmed like a champ because it doesn't use the yellow wire.

7. vjsimone

vjsimone New Member

Hello folks, lot on info here but; Just looking for a remote start system for my 2000, K3500, 7.4L gas, Crew Cab, 4x4. Don't need an alarm.

Recommendations? Thanks

Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
  8. el_flores

el_flores GMFS Member

Might try Compustar and Viper.

9. Throbbing Woodii

Throbbing Woodii New Member

Thanks a lot. I'm doing mine when I get ahold of the actuators. Where on the remote start did u wire the actuators to?