How To: The Big 3

Discussion in 'Audio & Electronics' started by cmatt, Jan 23, 2008.

Sponsored By: EMF Car Audio
  1. Nasty

Nasty GMFS Member

The big 3 caused your amp to not clip anymore? I doubt it. How do you know you were clipping in the first place?

2. rdmorgan05

rdmorgan05 New Member

I'm going to do this ASAP, seems like one of those mods you just have to do. Glad I read all 26 pages...

3. scott2353

scott2353 New Member

Ok I'll write one. This thing puts out clear real power and stays cool doing it. What more could I want. I recently purchased a kenwood bt hd head unit, 4 new door speakers and an amp for the doors. Once I heard how bright and loud my sound was I knew I had to add full sound so I consulted various caraudio forums and was recommended this Soundstream by one of the regulars who's opinion I trusted based on what I saw and read from his posts.
    http://www.caraudiogiants.com/shop-by-category/amplifiers/soundstream-pn1-1000d.html

I have a 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage gas sipper thingy so space is limited. I got the pioneer TS SWX2502 10" slim subwoofer box because it's small and it fires down so I can throw my tools on top without damaging it. As an ex bass head from the early nineties I was expecting much out of this small package, just wanted to fill out my sound

4. Forklift

Forklift Wanna B Jack o all Trades

I could maybe see that, but how would you know? Most people cant hear it to start with so.......... My 93 trucks big three actually improved my gas mileage, by 2mpg!

5. Cel81xtreme

Cel81xtreme GMFS Member

my big 3 increased my horse power while idling.

6. FatCamHD

FatCamHD GMFS Member

dat math doe

7. 2005_Silverado

2005_Silverado *

Just a heads up....if you have this module on your negative battery cable...make sure you run any negative cables thru it

[​IMG]

That lil guy senses power consumption and helps the computer determine how much power the alt has to put out. Before knowing this, I had my big3 outside of that sensor and it was causing some funky charging issues...voltage would go straight to 14.9-15.2v and stay there or wouldnt come up from 12.8v, just randomly. I did some research on that thing and I modified my big3 so that the negative cable would run thru that sensor and my problems went away.

Link to article I found

http://acdelcotechconnect.com/pdf/imtn_V12I305.pdf

8. ILuvJDM

ILuvJDM GMFS Senior Member

I have that on my new truck, but wasn't on my 03 NBS. What size wire will fit through there? Typically you have 2-3 wires off your negative battery so is it possible to snake those through there or should I just do a single 1/0 run through and then tie in to that wire with a distribution block?

2005_Silverado likes this.
  9. 2005_Silverado

2005_Silverado *

your 03 didnt have the 2 pin alternator on your new truck...its a different charging system. I was able to get knukonceptz 1/0 thru there with the oem cables as well. Its a very tight fit but my charging issues went away since I did that.

10. ILuvJDM

Single run of 1/0?

Any idea why my 06 duramax doesn't have that GBCM either?

11. 2005_Silverado

2005_Silverado *

yeah, single run of 1/0 thru it. You MIGHT be able to get 2 if you remove the oem cables but I see no need for that unless youve got a huge system.

IDK why the deezols wouldnt have it...maybe engine load from the alternator is not a huge deal in that application? Seems to me like GM is just trying to get the most mpg out of these vehicles and reducing engine load by regulating alternator output would be one way to do it.

12. Kids-at-Wawa

Kids-at-Wawa GMFS Member

Dont have on my 04

13. 2005_Silverado

2005_Silverado *

yup...is 04.5+ deal

Kids-at-Wawa likes this.
  14. slicksierra

slicksierra GM Plow Truck Owner

Subd

live from the gutter trash.

15. ILuvJDM

Just to clarify, with your single run of 1/0, which ground did you chose to do? Engine block, body, or frame? So you just have one ground and then the positive so more of a big2 correct?

16. Nasty

Nasty GMFS Member

I have my ground from battery to the bracket that holds the little red box with the starter cable. I moved the bracket down and used the top hole

17. ILuvJDM

And then are you branching off of that to go to the frame or just have a cable to that spot only?

I don't have a huge stereo and might upgrade to a d3400 since I'll need to buy a battery anyways. My stock alt is 145a so I'm good there for my ~1200 watt audio

18. 2005_Silverado

2005_Silverado *

Just like stated below....but I drilled and tapped a new hole. I also have the stock cable through the sensor, so the stock stuff is still connected as well as the 1/0. No need for more with my setup.

19. HackMcMASTER

HackMcMASTER BANNED FROM LIFE

i'm running a piece of 4/0 through sensor and will distribute from there with 1/0, never have to worry about upgrading now
    Note: haven't done it yet, just got the new sensor and the sensor has to be installed before the terminal ends

20. Nasty

Nasty GMFS Member

Distribute from where?