Installing a backup camera? Check here!

Discussion in 'Audio & Electronics' started by jonyb, Feb 2, 2009.

Sponsored By: EMF Car Audio
  1. pickup

pickup New Member

Hey JonyB,
    Which radio is that? I want to replace the stock GM radio with something with a screen for a backup cam, like you did. I also want it to have a aux input 3.5, bluetooth, and a CD player. And what cam did you use?
    Thanks

2. supermanotorious

supermanotorious Winchmaster 5000

what/where is the best location for bringing the video feed (yellow composite wire) into the cab on NNBS?????

3. WaterBoy

WaterBoy New Member

^ Drivers side in the floor. There is a rubber grommet that the e-brake cable comes in on.

4. jonyb

jonyb Stay Gold!!!!

This is a very old thread, so chances are whatever radio it is, is discontinued. We've been selling a lot of the Kenwood DDX-470 and 770's lately. They have AM/FM/CD/Bluetooth (streaming audio and handsfree), DVD, ground 1 wire for unlock, steering wheel control input, a very easy to use graphic interface, and are priced right.

You can use any camera, I mostly use PAC-Audio camera's. They're a little expensive compared to others, but the license frames cover the entire plate and are metal - not plastic that bends when you tighten down the license plate brackets.

There is also the same grommet on passengers side that's unused. It's a little easier to get a wire up to the radio behind the glovebox then it is from under the bellypad or drivers side dash.

5. GeoffSFAs10

GeoffSFAs10 GMFS Senior Member

I need to get a new backup camera, mine decided to stop working.

6. kelley350x

kelley350x GMFS Member

I am trying to install a OEM camera on a truck that didnt come with the camera, the head unit I am using is a DD kenwood dnx570hd. This HU has a rca input for reverse camera..

I bought a handle with the camera in it and what the seller didnt mention is that hte end was cut off of the plugs so all I have is 6 wires.. Can anyone tell me where each wire goes? Ive never been afraid to try stuff but I don't want to fry my camera..

I have the following wires:
    RED
    WHITE
    BLUE
    YELLOW
    BLACK
    BROWN

[​IMG]

7. kelley350x

kelley350x GMFS Member

I got it figured out today.
    RED 12 volt constant
    WHITE not needed it is listed as a shield wire)
    BLUE reverse switch (I tapped my reverse light in the taillight harness)
    YELLOW RCA cable positive
    BLACK ground
    BROWN RCA cable ground

8. Cook

Cook Masshole

I want to mount my backup camera like jonyb did (pic below). However I have a NNBS and not a NBS. The camera is about 1" in diameter. Has anyone mounted theirs in this location on their NNBS? how was the picture? I don't want to drill the 1" hole then have the bottom of the tailgate be in the way.

[​IMG]

9. Chris12

Chris12 Shit Disturber

Did you ever get this set up? If so, may I ask why you didn't go with the OEM (in handle) setup? Are there any negatives to using it?

10. jonyb

jonyb Stay Gold!!!!

That was a 3/4" camera, and with that truck being a 2500HD, I think there was more room between the tailgate and bumper

11. Chris12

Chris12 Shit Disturber

Thanks for the reply. I really like this set up.

I was actually directing my question at Cook, or any other nnbs owners.

I was wondering if the OEM location had any drawbacks over this set up.

12. jonyb

jonyb Stay Gold!!!!

I've got a NNBS 3500HD now, and I don't think there's enough room for the camera there.

13. Weller

Weller GMFS Member

What camera is everyone using? I'd like a clean install and rather not go with the license plate bracket model. Also, has anyone installed a rearview mirror with the screen built in? I'm still running the stock head unit. I've seen some cheap rearview mirrors on amazon, but they just clip onto the existing mirror. Any feedback would be appreciated.

14. theproject

theproject GMFS Member

Trying to install one now but can't figure out which wire under the dash is my reverse wire, since all the old links are dead anybody got a reference pic?

15. jonyb

jonyb Stay Gold!!!!

I'd look it up for you but done know what truck you have.

16. jonyb

jonyb Stay Gold!!!!

When testing the wire, the truck has to be running to see 12v when switched into reverse

17. theproject

theproject GMFS Member

Sorry it's an 05 2500. I found it though it's the light green wire under the dash not the dark green in the BCM.

18. raycer60

raycer60 Karting In Texas

I hooked up my camera but it does not always work. The display is a Pyle 3.5" monitor mounted where the airbag switch goes on a NBS. Called Pyle and they say it could be that the video rca is not sending enough voltage to tell the monitor to "turn on".
    Scenario:
    motor is running in PARK. Set it to REVERSE. Video comes on. Set truck to PARK again and then REVERSE again. No video. And no video until I shut motor and start again. Then same scenario.
    And have also had: motor running in PARK. Set to REVERSE. Video comes on for 1 second, goes black, comes back for 10 seconds and then black again. Set to PARK again and REVERSE again and NOTHING.

My reverse 12V signal powering the camera and screen is coming direct from the wire harness reverse green wire. Reverse lights come on every time I set to reverse.

The rca wire coming out of the camera has a thin red wire coming out behind the rca plug. Any idea if this needs 12 volts?

Any ideas?

Attached Files:

19. theproject

theproject GMFS Member

Yes hook it to your reverse power signal wire if you have the night time camera if not any key able 12v will work.

20. raycer60

raycer60 Karting In Texas

So just to sum it up. 12v goes to camera, to screen and also to rca red wire shown in picture.
    I will try that tonight. Thanks.