Installing used gears!

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by SLEEPER VAN, Jan 5, 2017.

1. SLEEPER VAN

SLEEPER VAN GMFS Member

Hi Everyone. I just picked up a complete rear end from a 2001-2002 half ton Chevy pickup that is posi with 410 gears. I'm installing them in my 1995 G20 Van which is in desperate need of a new gear set due to a very loud whine. The gears from the used rear I bought are in very good condition with a great ware pattern on the ring and pinion.
    My only concern is getting it set up correctly in my housing as the other one is damaged. It's been decades since I've set up a rear end and I'm a little gun shy about the whole process. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

2. doublejz

doublejz GMFS Member

eh, I never setup used gears in an axle, either swap axle for axle (which you can't do) or install a new R&P.

3. SLEEPER VAN

SLEEPER VAN GMFS Member

I may do that because I only paid $250 for the whole thing. Just trying to save a few dollars as I have expended monies on other upgrades. Either way I still could use any help in setting up the rear.

4. SkyHigh98

SkyHigh98 Typical Smart-Ass

5. SLEEPER VAN

SLEEPER VAN GMFS Member

Thanks for the link SkyHigh98!

6. bigblue4x4

bigblue4x4 GMFS Member

SLEEPER VAN likes this.
  7. SLEEPER VAN

SLEEPER VAN GMFS Member

Thanks Bigblue4X4

8. SLEEPER VAN

SLEEPER VAN GMFS Member

Has anyone had experience with the B+M transpack kit for the 4l60? I need to do something about the shifting on my 95 Van. I can't hold it in first gear as it will shift around 3500rpm into second! I also want a crisper, snappier shift between all the gears! I don't mind a little neck snapping. It's not slipping but the shift's are to soft for me and with the upgrades I'm doing a better shift can only help. I still have the stock converter for now but plan on putting in a 2000-2400 stall speed in the spring. Or sooner if I can save enough money! LOL. Any input would be greatly appreciated especially if you have personally used this kit. Or suggestions on other kits.

9. John Clark

John Clark GMFS Member

I put a Transgo shift kit in my 02 Sierra 4L60E to fix some 1-2 shift problems (which it did.) They also make a Transgo HD shift kit and you can put in the Corvette servo for more solid shifting. I did a lot of reading and studying but didn't pay too much attention to the HD stuff or the Corvette servo stuff since I didn't want that. I was just trying to solve a excessively hard 1-2 shift and an intermittent triple bang on the 1-2 shift.

Transgo's service is second to none. I called them a couple of times and the guy I got knew his stuff and helped me immensely. I'd never done that kind of work before but it was a success and my tranny is happy!

10. SLEEPER VAN

SLEEPER VAN GMFS Member

Thanks John I'll definitely look into it. I don't want to be unhappy with my desion and have to redo it. That's why I try to look at everything out there and take advice from actual user's of the different products available. Looks like I'll be doing some more reading this weekend! LOL.

11. John Clark

John Clark GMFS Member

I did the whole thing with the trans still in the truck. Pulled out the valve body in the driveway (LB truck won't fit in my garage) installed the shift kit, and then reinstalled in the driveway. Not ideal but was careful and it worked fine.

12. SLEEPER VAN

SLEEPER VAN GMFS Member

I only have a Carport so don't feel bad. I wash everything down and if it's windy at all I drap sheets around the Van to keep out as much dust as possible. It does suck but it won't fit in a garage unless I was to bring it to a shop which I would only do if both my arms and legs were broken and I wasn't able to talk!!! The couple of times that I did bring it to a shop, once under warranty, they didn't do the work right and the time a broken power wire to the ECM was found they charged me$400 dollars and that was for putting a butt connector on the bad wire!!! I inspected it when I got home and found that many of the wire's in two out of the four harnesses were corded and rotten because of the location, right below the battery, the previous owner had a problem with a bad battery and acid dripped all over the ECM harnesses!!! I ended up getting all four plugs and wires from the junkyard and soldering all 30+ wires per plug and I found that there were more than 40 wire's that were bad. So if they charged me$400 for a butt connector imagine what it would cost me for them to fix it the right way as I did!!! That's why I won't let anyone touch my vechiels. I started to work on car's at 14 years old, at 15 I was working at a Dodge dealership as a mechanic and at 21 I bought my first Service Station!!! I used to be specialized in performance and exotics but mostly muscle car's!!! I was a drag racer for year's and have the trophies to prove it!!! LOL OK so that was a long time ago. But I never stopped working on car's and Bike's (Harley's) since those younger days. I'm unable to get the cars I really want so I'm hot rodding my conversion Van!!! I'll post pictures when I'm all done, or at least when I'm further along. I'm doing engine, tranny, exhaust, rear, and the exterior. I've got all led lights inside and out with custom touches on both. The inside is mint condition and the outside is in good condition but it's not perfect enough for me. I'm OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) and I can't leave anything alone until it's running and looking perfect!!! It's getting there a little more each day. And as funds allow! Money is always a problem with things like this isn't it? Oh well I've rambled on enough for now. Thanks for the suggestion and for reading this. Talk to you all soon.

13. John Clark

John Clark GMFS Member

My mechanical background is similar. My dad always did it and so did I since I was a kid...Going on 40 years now. I never worked in a professional repair shop but I worked in a couple of late model car wrecking yards, pulling parts, selling parts, and building and repairing cars on the side. That was in the late 80's and early 90's when cars started to get complicated. I knew how to take them apart and put them back together but didn't understand how it all worked. Over the years I've studied on my own to learn how it all works so that I can understand the systems and do proper diagnosing and not just throw parts at problems. I got lucky and picked up an Autel DS708 on craigslist a while back and that has really expanded my capabilities. I love electrical problem challenges, and check engine light mysteries. The valve body removal and shift kit in my 4L60E was just a necessity as I knew if I took it somewhere I'd be told I needed a new tranny even though the current one only had 55K on it. It just had a valve body issue that cost me $150 in parts and new fluid to fix. I've been told it'll last me quite a while now.

I have had the same experience with warranty work on my 08 Honda Odyssey that I bought new. The dealer mucked up quite a few things that I only found later, long after the warranty had expired. The latest is a front parking sensor that I found not working yesterday. I removed it to inspect it and found that it had been JB welded. The only time the bumper was off was when the car got hit in a parking lot with a shopping cart and the left front fender was repaired by the Honda dealer. Jerks. They broke it, didn't tell me, and JB welded it. Now I have to pay for a new one. And for that kind of service people pay thousands of dollars.

I also found the same thing on my center console where the DVD player is. They had to replace the climate control unit under warranty. I never gave it any thought until I had to pull it to fish out a DVD that fell down inside. When I removed the console I found several broken clips from lack of care reassembling the console--again, long after the warranty had run out.

Fortunately, I haven't paid for any car maintenance (aside from tires and alignments) ever in my life and will not start any time soon.

14. SLEEPER VAN

SLEEPER VAN GMFS Member

I don't mind paying for Something if it's done right. Trouble is most shops go by book time and the mechanic gets paid the same way so if he can do it under the book time he makes more money. It's hard to find people who still have pride in their work. I had my own business from 81-05 and the only advertising I did was my business card! It was all word of mouth and referral from satisfied customers! I didn't make as much money as some guys but I also didn't have any call backs from problems! I also didn't have any problems sleeping. LOL

15. John Clark

John Clark GMFS Member

Yep. Typical flat rate work.

16. SLEEPER VAN

SLEEPER VAN GMFS Member

I liked it better when the guys were paid by the hour. The reason they changed was so that the dealership can make more money by pushing through more work. When I sold my last station a customer of mine was the general manager at a Porsche and Mercedes Benz dealership and he begged me to come and run the service department for him. I gave my notice after two weeks because I couldn't stand the way they ripped people off! They charged a half hour labor to put on wiper blades!!!! That's what did it for me. It was a great paying job but I felt like a thief!