io5 to io6 upgrade

Discussion in 'Audio & Electronics' started by kadernal, Oct 12, 2016.

Sponsored By: EMF Car Audio
  1. kadernal

kadernal New Member

So I just got a '17 1500 and the dealer fucked up and delivered it without Nav when it was supposed to have it. Dealer said they would get the io6 box out of another truck and swap it in for me. The tech did this but the nav options didn't show up on the screen. The tech who installed the new HMI unit didn't hook up any GPS antenna as we didn't have an aftermarket one or the GM diplexer to split wiring for the shark fin (that's what comes in the upgrade kit). Could this have any reason to do with the options not showing? Did the options not show because the HMI wasn't programmed to my VIN?

They got on the phone with techline and whoever else and they said that it won't work because the HMI box is already programmed for the other truck it came out of. After this revelation dealer said they are willing to sell me the io6 upgrade at cost. I really don't want to shell out $700 for a factory upgrade. If I have to do that I'll just spend a bit more and go aftermarket.

I just ordered the gm diplexer off ebay and should have it in a few days, but is having the antenna hookup going to change anything? Does anyone know if the HMI can be reprogrammed for my truck? Can the dealership do this?

2. Mods89

Mods89 GMFS Member

Yea, that tech is a idiot. Cannot swap modules like that anymore. There is no way to program the HMI for the nav either unless they get the nav upgrade kit and call techline for the VCI number. Did the dealer mess up and sell you the wrong truck or did you just not pay attention and not notice this truck does not have nav?

3. kadernal

kadernal New Member

Eh, it's a bit on me I guess. I buy a ton of vehicles from this dealership every year so I usually just tell them what I want and they send me build sheets for what they can get that matches. I told them to find me a 2017 Black on black with the 6.2, vented seats, sunroof, and nav. Beyond that it didn't matter much. The dealership sent over about 5 build sheets for trucks they could swap. Besides appearance stuff the options and codes for the trucks were all the same so I thought I was only looking at 6.2s with the options I wanted. After buying 30+ vehicles this way this is the first issue I've had. Obviously it has to happen on my personal truck.

When the truck got delivered it didn't have the vented front seats or the nav option. So whoever located the trucks didn't fully understand the options I guess so none of the build sheets I was looking at were what I had requested.

To make up for it the dealership tossed me a set of the 22" black and silver rims to make up for the vented seats. After lots of yelling from both sides they will be doing the upgrade to io6 and I'm only paying $200 and I get to keep the io5 HMI so I can sell it on ebay.

Also after some research I could have taken the HMI out of the 2016 and sent it out to have the VIN cleared and programmed to my truck. The company who offers this service is located in CT about two hours away from me actually, what a coincidence. I would have done this but at the end of the day two HMI's would have needed to be flashed and then I still needed a diplexer or aftermarket GPS antenna.

4. Mods89

Mods89 GMFS Member

ohh ok.

With apple carplay and android auto, I am not sure why people would want to pay for factory navigation. lol

5. kadernal

kadernal New Member

There are lots of reasons to add factory nav... for instance sometimes I forget my phone or sometimes my phone is dead or I have no service or bad service or my phone cord isn't in the car because I brought it somewhere and forgot it. I can go on but I won't. The ONLY reason not to add factory nav is because you can't afford it and it's like less than $500 to add. LOL.

Honestly carplay and android auto are total garbage. I got all excited back when carplay was finally hitting the market YEARS after apple announced it. I got the AVIC-8000NEX and it was nothing but disappointment from day one. At least with that pioneer unit I was able to implement screen sharing for my android. IMO carplay has been going backwards as it becomes more available. Then you have the fact that Apple maps is the only option for navigation in carplay. So 99% of the time I wouldn't even bother to use carplay for the maps because I use waze or google maps.

I want more options, not less.

6. Mods89

Mods89 GMFS Member

I always have my phone on me. I've also had plenty of times where my phone had no service and the navigation app works fine still. I always keep a charger cord in my truck, so if my phone dies or is low on battery, well I plug it in. I have yet to have a problem with carplay. I do wish it would let me use google maps over apple maps. However the last time I used apple maps over google maps, the apple maps took me around construction (closed road) where google maps did not. Reason I dont like the factory nav is because it doesn't know if there is construction or road closures. I have also seen plenty of times where factory nav is missing addresses and roads.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  7. kadernal

kadernal New Member

Yea I'm sure your personal experience is different and explains your viewpoint. I was just listing reasons it might make sense to have it. I don't know how many times I get into my truck and find my girlfriend has kidnapped my charge cable. It's insane. I keep about 4 lighting and 4 micro USB cables in my center console for that reason alone. I'm guessing you are a bit more of a casual user of the Nav system than I am as well. I drive about 2-2.5k miles a month and I constantly find myself in areas I don't know and areas without service. I use my nave multiple times a day, everyday.

Have you gotten a chance to mess around with the mylink/intellilink nav? In the bit of time I got to play around with it I thought it was a really nice system. Very detailed maps and the menus are easy to use. It's also very quick. Like I said I had the pioneer Compared to many aftermarket nav systems it's way superior. I agree it's a bummer about route options and traffic, you would think they could integrate with XM traffic better than the way it's currently handled. Luckily most of my travel time is spent on rural/back country roads.

8. Mods89

Mods89 GMFS Member

I dont have a girlfriend to have to worry about stealing my cables, so I cant relate there. haha I do drive quite a bit too. I use my nav probable once a week if not more. I tend to go out in the country quite a bit during hunting season and that's when I find myself losing service, but my phone still worked for nav. It just didnt show detail of the surroundings. I have played with the NGI system quite a bit. I may or may not deal with infotainment on the technical side for gm. lol I agree that it is way better then aftermarket radios. It would be sweet if they could integrate the xm traffic into the maps. That way if there is a closure or backed up traffic, it could route you around it.

9. 97chevy

97chevy New Member

I bought a 16 silverado custom and it didn't come with navigation or on star would you guys know what I would have to do to upgrade it to io6

10. cbrsilv15

cbrsilv15 GMFS Member

11. 97chevy

97chevy New Member

If you talking to me I have used the Google search. And couldn't find anything on it.

12. Mods89

Mods89 GMFS Member

It depends what radio you currently have.

13. 97chevy

97chevy New Member

The code in my glove box is iob

low2thaearth likes this.
  14. cbrsilv15

cbrsilv15 GMFS Member

15. 97chevy

97chevy New Member

No reason to be a prick about it. But exactly what part did it say anything about iob in that.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  16. Mods89

Mods89 GMFS Member

You cannot upgrade to the IO6 radio from a IOB. Complete different radio system

17. Mods89

Mods89 GMFS Member

You have apple carplay and android auto though. Just use that for navigation. It works better imo

18. Locop

Locop New Member

Can you please share that companys info so I can send mine in for an upgrade I have the io5 and want the io6

19. Mfife30

Mfife30 New Member

So if i buy a io6 module off a website and go to change it out it won't work because it's not assigned to my truck vin?