Question k1500 1994 Lower control Arm swap from stamped to cast/forged????

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by Danoo7, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Danoo7

Danoo7 New Member

I really could use some help, I have a Great 1994 K1500 Silverado, with a Fabtech 6in lift, running over 275K miles. I need to do the ball joints and bushings. These are a SOB 2do as you know and they have discontinued the lower control arm assembly but, they do have the newer lower control arm assembly with cast/forged complete with ball joints and bushings. I need to know what years will fit in mine???? And or if I will have to do the upper arms too? I want to use the newer style cast/forged lower control arms but will they fit? and will it work for front end alignment? I can get lower and up control arms with all ball joints and bushings for under 200$ and it will only take a couple house to do, if i have to pull the old lower arms off and try to press in will take a week end my last set two different shops could not do it so I have to buy new nows but that was 15years ago, just did my sons on his 2004 4x4 blazer last week in two hours. I would like to just upgrade mine to the HD2500 or any new ones, can it be done?????

Please help.

thx Dan

IMG_0943.jpg

2. Danoo7

Danoo7 New Member

these are what i would like to use????

s-l1600.jpg

3. Graystone

Graystone Mmm Sandwich

98 was the last year of that body style. And no 2500 parts will not work. Your idea will not work in other words

Danoo7 likes this.
  4. Danoo7

Danoo7 New Member

Is there any of the cast/forged lower control arms that will fit? the pix I have is from a 2007 k1500 express, i have read some other forms that say they some of these will fit, i just can't find a ref table of what will and what years don't? If any one has an idea other just trying them all to see, i would appreciate it.

thx Dan

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  5. Graystone

Graystone Mmm Sandwich

Fitting and functional are 2 different things

6. Danoo7

Danoo7 New Member

I get that, I have the fabtech spindle so that also changes everything, the only thing i can see that i might need would be longer or short upper control arms. thats part of what I'm asking has anyone done it? its must be so very close.

if this works theres a whole new upgrade for tens of thousands of trucks????

thx Dan

th.jpeg

th-1.jpeg

7. Graystone

Graystone Mmm Sandwich

No its more than that. Suspension design is not that simple

8. xmaxxbasherx

xmaxxbasherx New Member

IIRC the picture of the 2 lower arms together came from a post stating that the stamped K1500 LCA could be switched out for a cast LCA out of a K2500/K3500. That means GMT400 88-00 OBS could be swapped with each other.

9. Phildirt

Phildirt GMFS Member

I'm not sure about it but I'm positive you need more question marks at the end of your sentences. It's hard to tell it's a question without at least 8. See what I'm saying????????

10. Mikebte

Mikebte GMFS Member

Swap out control arms if all looks to fit, just measure and make sure it's close and clears.
    As long as it aligns you should be ok. It's a lifted truck, not a circle track race car.

Question, why not put in new ball joints and reuse the arms????????

11. Danoo7

Danoo7 New Member

sorry for the delay, this is the second set I've had over its life, two diff machine shops that press in about bushings and ball joints could not get them out, they told me that they have had many others of this type that do not come out.... thats what I wanted to use the newer typer of lower control arms if possible. will see I put a new set on my 2001 burb and when I can I will pull the ones off my 94 and see if they fit, I can get upper control arms with adjustable ball joints that can fix any alignment issues. since no one has an answer ill will try it and let you know.

also I saw the post that said they could be swapped, so will see would be a great fix... just need the exact part numbers if any one has them

12. z71gacowboy

z71gacowboy GMFS Member

They may not have the equipment to get them out but they will come out.....or maybe they just dont want to do it. Machine shops sometimes just dont want to mess with that stuff

13. Phildirt

Phildirt GMFS Member

Shouldn't need a machine shop to get ball joints out. Put a jack stand under the arm, heat it, and knock it through with a hammer. Helps if you cut the stud off, gives you a flatter surface to bang on. The ball joint will start moving after 5 or 6 good whacks and you're not going to hurt the arm. Then just press in a new one.

14. Danoo7

Danoo7 New Member

I have had two sets, that just wouldn't come out, don't want to take it off until I'm sure I have something to go back into it. thx

15. Danoo7

Danoo7 New Member

hi, thanks do you have the part numbers I can look up, calling the dealers or shops have no idea what I'm talking about, thx dan