LED conversion now the cargo light flashes and drive indicator too

Discussion in 'Lighting & Illumination' started by polarisn1, Oct 20, 2016.

1. polarisn1

polarisn1 GMFS Member

I recently converted my dash to LED bulbs, including the cargo light switch, HVAC, door switches, ect.

Also, I replaced outside turn signals with LED bulbs too. I am using a flasher made for LEDs.

Since installing the outside LEDs, now when I have the turn signal on with the headlights and parking lights off, the shift indicator light flashes, and the cargo light switch flashes on and off.

I know that LEDs take much less power than regular bulbs, could this be why things are acting up now?

When the parking lights are on, and I turn on the blinker, the cargo light switch and the shifter position light do not blink.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. Irishboy02

Irishboy02 GMFS Member

Hopefully someone else will chime in but it's often an issue with not having enough load/resistance across the harness that causes other lights to come on faint. Also, depending on how you positioned the LEDs in the cluster, they may not be aligned up properly and are causing flash back into the other areas for other dash light notifications

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

3. polarisn1

polarisn1 GMFS Member

Thanks for the response.

I know that some people use load resistors for the turn signals when using LEDs - but the other option is to just get an LED flasher so you don't have to wire in load resistors, and that is the route I went.

With regard to LED bulbs, I have them lined up correctly. The cargo light switch wouldn't illuminate if it was in backwards.

Also - just as a point of clarification, the shift indicator light in the cluster is still the stock light. I didn't replace that as I couldn't get to it without wrecking the cluster. I only converted the 5 or 6 bulbs that illuminate the whole cluster when the parking lights are on. Does that make sense?

4. Irishboy02

Irishboy02 GMFS Member

Okay yes that makes sense. Your flash indicator and other indicators run on the same circuit of the light that is being used. So if your blinker is on it runs the same one to your turn signal indicator. If the line is short in power that might cause an issue. I remember somebody saying once that if you put LEDs on your driver side rear lights that you will lose cruise control on these trucks. GM is known for having a lot of funky electrical quirks like that. Again, don't go solely based off of me there are a few electrical geniuses in here that may be able to give you a more direct answer

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

5. polarisn1

polarisn1 GMFS Member

I am glad that the cruise still works with the LEDs in the rear!

For reference, I bought LED bulbs and installed. I did not buy all new housings with LEDs already built in if that helps anyone figure this out.

6. polarisn1

polarisn1 GMFS Member

So I did an experiment today.
    I pulled both front blinker assemblies out and inserted incandescent bulbs in all 4 spots. The power bleeding went away.
    I put LEDs in the right side, left incandescent bulbs in the left. Turned on left blinker, no power blled. Turned on right blinker, no power bleed. WTF!
    So I left just 1 incandescent bulb in the left, 1 LED and both LED in the right. BOTH blinkers functioned normally!
    I removed the 1 incandescent bulb and the problem was back. It didn't mater which socket that 1 incandescent bulb was in, tried all 4 one at a time, and it still prevented the power bleed. But once it was removed I had the issue.
    I even put the stock flasher back in with all 4 LED bulbs in, and it was a nightmare lol. Quick flashing.
    So, did I miss something? I thought that by getting a "made for LED" flasher I wouldn't need to install load resistors too. Is this false? Or did I get a bad LED flasher?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

7. polarisn1

polarisn1 GMFS Member

Can anyone help here?

8. polarisn1

polarisn1 GMFS Member

Nobody knows?

9. Phildirt

Phildirt n. fil-dert.

sounds like putting oem bulbs back in would be an easy fix.

10. polarisn1

polarisn1 GMFS Member

You would be correct, but I do not want incandescent bulbs. I want LED bulbs. Hence why I'm searching for a way to make this work.

In all reality, it's been this way for over a month now and I haven't seen any further problems caused by it, maybe it's not worth pursuing?

11. z71gacowboy

z71gacowboy GMFS Member

You need more load on that ckt since it works more than just turn signals, typically its a stop/turn on the same ckt or tail/turn less frequently. Just put a load resistor on one of the power feeds to a taillamp and be done.

12. polarisn1

polarisn1 GMFS Member

I have been observing the behavior with no load resistors, and it hasn't affected anything else. It is just an annoyance, but I find myself driving with the running lights on during the day too, and with the running lights on the problem doesn't happen.

I guess it is a consequence of going full LED on this truck. I am fine with it, because the LED lights really brighten up the lighting inside and out, and make it look more modern.

13. z71gacowboy

z71gacowboy GMFS Member

I drive with the fogs and dtrl on too, im interested in led but have figured out what a good, cost effective brand is

14. polarisn1

polarisn1 GMFS Member

Honestly, I got mine from Ebay. Haven't had any issues with the amber or red for the rear of the vehicle.

15. z71gacowboy

z71gacowboy GMFS Member

I see a company on amazon with dinky looking leds, but they have steller reviews and smd chipped.....guess illl give them a shot. Thanks bud

polarisn1 likes this.
  16. polarisn1

polarisn1 GMFS Member

These are the ones I went with. Bright as sh*t and after 4 months not a single problem, even when the highs are -10 here in Minnesota! haha

s-l1600.jpg

z71gacowboy likes this.