Looking for a Tool set

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by GWP_SC, Apr 11, 2017.

1. GWP_SC

GWP_SC New Member

I have a Craftsman 151pc (Or some size like that) in a plastic box I got at a pawn shop for like $70. Before I moved I had access to about as complete of a tool set that you can imagine at my grandpas shed. He and my dad over the years had just about every tool you would find in a mechanics with a few GM & Tractor specific tools and now that I have moved to OK I obviously dont have access to that any more. I was looking at a craftsman set (https://www.craftsman.com/products/craftsman-903pc-mechanics-ultimate-tool-set?taxon_id=1878) and I know craftsman at least used to be a great tool manufacturer. I definitely dont want a tool truck set (way out of my price range) but I wouldnt mind spending a little bit extra on a good set.

Any suggestions?

2. Loki

Loki Knuckle Buster

depends on your budget and what you are going to be using the tools on specifically...I prefer snap-on but if you're worried about pricing, you may want to go a different route.

Good thing about craftsman is that they have a great return policy. I wouldn't skimp on the tools you use frequently.

Honestly tho, without knowing your budget, and what you mainly need tools for, I have no real suggestions other than buy what you need and just keep expanding...very few guys have full tool boxes right out the gate. Most have been buying/collecting tools as needed for decades.

3. GWP_SC

GWP_SC New Member

I'm not a Pro, I just piddle here and there. I used to buy trucks, throw on a level/lift and some Ats and flip them or find a truck I can beat someone up on for busted rod ends, ball joints, etc and fix it and flip.

4. GWP_SC

GWP_SC New Member

and 3k would be the most I would want to spend

5. Phildirt

Phildirt n. fil-dert.

Pawn shop and flea market is where I get tools. The only thing I'll drop coin on is torque wrench or maybe something specific like pitman arm puller. Some of my favorite go-to things in my tool box are Harbor Freight knockoff crap.

6. HellBent

HellBent GMFS Member

I bit on tool truck brands ( snap on Mac Matco) on eBay and usually get they at a good discount. I do the same with vintage nos Craftsman.

7. ferraiolo1

ferraiolo1 GMFS Member

If you have a tool truck that runs near you, they usually have traded in or repo tools they sell cheaper. For my work tools I prefer matco. I used to like craftsman for my home tools, but lately with the rate they are closing stores I wouldn't buy anything else from them. Kobalt has some decent stuff for the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Phildirt

Phildirt n. fil-dert.

With 3k I'd buy a nice lift and use my neighbors tools to install it lol

HillBilly4460 likes this.
  9. silverboy02

silverboy02 GMFS Member

I suggest getting some decent stuff with lifetime warranty. Lowes has Kobalt, Home Depot has Husky, Sears has Craftsman. I would get high quality torque tools, and anything dangerous like spring compressors torsion bar key tools etc. I use mostly Snap-on at work and have some mixed in Craftsman that is what I originally started with. I've accumulated a lot of stuff in the last 15 years or full time working in our shop.

10. Eandrade

Eandrade GMFS Member

Harbor Freight's Pittsburgh Pro tools is what I buy. Can't justify paying lots of money for tools I don't use on a regular.

11. BiggG74

BiggG74 New Member

I have craftsmen and kobalt. Happy with both. Also buy off c-list and eBay. But remember.. you get what you pay for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Able2007

Able2007 GMFS Member

If I use something a lot- snap on, blue point, matco

a little- craftsman, proto

one time use or hardly ever- horrible freight

13. ALLTERRAIN

ALLTERRAIN k2XX Owner

I have in my boxes a lot of SK, proto, mac, a few snap on pieces and mostly craftsman, I like a variety however nothing beats the snap on quality though. But again as most guys said, it takes decades to build up a inventory I've been collecting for ten years give or take.

14. JB Long

JB Long GMFS Member

I have a 105 pcs Craftsman mechanics set I bought 12 years ago and have added Pittsburgh Pro from HF recently. Have been more than sufficient for light duty/shade tree use so far. The Craftsman lifetime warranty will still be honored by Stanley FYI.

15. Loki

Loki Knuckle Buster

I bought a Kobalt roller box from Lowes about 6 or 7 years ago and have no complaints...also has a built in power strip so you can plug things into it. (Just a little added bonus)...drawers open smooth and come with matting so things don't fly around. I would buy a box from them again, but i'm looking at a decent matco box at the moment.

16. HellBent

HellBent GMFS Member

Also gearwrench makes a nice product with an amazing warranty and cresent makes decent hobbiest tools

17. GWP_SC

GWP_SC New Member

I have a few of their wrenches it's just hit or miss to find them in stores. I got a couple sets from advanced auto for 50% off. Couldn't pass that up.

Also anyone have experience with Duralast products? I bought a couple specific tools when I put on my lift (18mm, 21mm, 22mm wrench and sockets plus a ratchet) and the ratchet seems to be far better than the cheaper craftsman Set I have. Looks kind of like a snap on 90.

18. HellBent

HellBent GMFS Member

I've always been told duralast was made in the same line as snap on and williams

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017