Mounting an HD Chrome Front Molding on to a Silverado 1500 Hood

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by Springbok, Feb 15, 2012.

Sponsored By: Tonneau Factory Outlet
  1. Springbok

Springbok Huge Member

NNBS: Mounting an HD Chrome Front Molding on to a Silverado 1500 Hood

I recently bought a 2011 Silverado HD grille for my 2007 Chevy Silverado 1500. Those of you who have done this know that the HD grille sticks out past the 1500 hood and looks incomplete without the chrome hood molding from either a 2007-2010 HD or a 2011-2012 HD truck. I should mention that a front-mounted bug guard will also mask the un-eveness but I don't like them so that wasn't an option for me.

I didn't feel like forking out hundreds of dollars for the HD hood to go with it so I decided to buy an HD hood molding and custom mount it to my 1500 hood. I read this thread and all the guys who mounted a chrome molding to their 1500 hoods (or died trying) had purchased the 2011-2012 hood molding. It seemed like it was a huge PIA because the 2011+ molding doesn't follow the front edge of the 1500 grille very well. Only a couple of the guys were successful with that molding. They succeeded by grinding off the mounting tabs on the back of the molding and using epoxy to glue bolts to the back then drilling holes in the hood in order to put them through and fasten from inside with nuts.

I decided to try mounting the 2007-2010 hood molding instead of the 2011-2012. There was some talk that perhaps this molding would better follow the contours of the 1500 hood and therefore may be easier to mount. I got my hood molding from Rock Auto and it looked like it would match up pretty good. The part number of the molding I used was 15911579.

I decided to go and get my Uncle's 2007 Silverado HD, remove the molding from the hood, and measure the where the holes were drilled in the HD hood. Now... I measured the locations of the holes as best I could, but transitioning the measurements to my hood wasn't as easy as I had expected. I ended up just holding the molding up and marking the locations accordingly and drilling them out. I made each oval hole by drilling two holes and then used a Dremel with a metal-cutting disc in order to connect them.

Uncle's HD truck with molding removed:
    [​IMG]

Hole sizes:
    [​IMG]

Holes drilled into my 1500 hood:
    [​IMG]

Once I had the holes drilled, I put the molding in place on the front of my hood. It fit pretty well but it didn't snug up against the front edge of the hood. This was mainly because of the design of the tabs on the back of the molding. At the base of each of the tabs are molded "flutes" that I guess are to help strengthen the tabs. The 2007-2010 HD hood is designed with an indentation at the bottom of the front edge of the hood that allows the hood molding to appear flush-mounted.

HD hood with indentation:
    [​IMG]

Trim mounted before grinding away the base of the tabs. You can see that it isn't flush:
    [​IMG]

Another problem was that the tabs didn't push into the hood far enough in order for me to use the metal clips that grip the tabs on the back of the molding. On my first attempt (before I thought about grinding the tabs) I drilled very small holes and inserted cotter pins, but this was something I knew I needed to improve on. Just didn't look right.

Bleh:
    [​IMG]

But then I grinded off the "flutes" at the bottom of each mounting tab and this allowed the molding to snug up nicely against my hood. And I was able to easily use the metal clips by sticking them on from the backside of of the hood, since the tabs now pushed through far enough for them to grip.

Here's the detail of what needs to be grinded on the base of the tabs:
    [​IMG]

And here's what it looks like today. Sorry for the crappy pics I took tonight, but you can see how well the molding is mounted now. The molding is now snugged up nicely to hood. I even put a double-stick foam weatherstrip in between:
    [​IMG]

Underside of hood showing the mounting tabs and factory metal clips
    [​IMG]

So the molding is on now and looks totally like it belongs there. One thing I would probably do differently (may still do it) was order the genuine GM molding. The one I got from Rock Auto was $30-$40 cheaper but it was because it's a cheap Chinese knockoff and the chrome quality is slightly less than the chrome on the rest of the truck. It's got some ripple to it.

2. Springbok

Springbok Huge Member

Finished product pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Fiveminutes

Fiveminutes Cinque Minuti

looks great man
    good job

4. TSINND

TSINND GMFS Member

Very good write up, some good info

5. 07blkbowtie954

07blkbowtie954 GMFS Member

nice write up man, this is a big time help.. im thinkin about doin this but not sure if i want to cut into my hood because i may want to re-sell it later on for an HD hood. So i may try getting the molding, cut the tabs flush with the back side of it and use 2 sided 3m tape lol ive read on here that somebody has tried that one, but the weather got to it. I live in florida and its winter time, but its still hot as hell and doesnt rain often so we'll see if that works.

6. Blugranite2k11Cc

Blugranite2k11Cc GMFS Member

good write up. definitely a good alternative.

7. Riveradoz71

Riveradoz71 GMFS Member

8. scarber08

scarber08 Rest in Pieces

Very nice write up! Looks great. Should be a sticky along with the other HD thread.

9. 818silverado

818silverado New Member

nice....

10. Wyatt_VMax

Wyatt_VMax GMFS Member

Better keep this one book-marked for the 20-30 threads that will be started...

"Can you mount HD trim piece to a 1500 hood?"

Nice write-up, looks even better now that it sits flush.

11. Springbok

Springbok Huge Member

Just so you know, if you use the 2011-12 molding, the tape will for sure not be enough. Many guys here have tried it and it always loses it's stick and comes off. See these threads for instance:

http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=240254

http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=221309

I don't know of anyone trying the double-stick tape method with the 2007-10 hood molding but I would guess the result would be similar. Main reason being that the molding toward the left and right ends (where the contour of the hood bends) is bowed out more to match the more bulbous HD hood contour and needs to be snugged down tight with something strong in order to bend it to the shallower 1500 hood, tape isn't going to do it.

I don't think that there's any other way to mount it acceptably without drilling holes.

:sparta:

12. CRK

CRK Representin' Le Mit!

Good write up Craig!

13. SteelGreenZ71

SteelGreenZ71 GMFS MEDIC

Great write up man. Only thing you could add to help us out would be all the measurements of the holes on the hood. You should get some long paper with the thickness of a vanilla folder and mark all the holes, make a template and sell em to us for a good price! I know I would be a lot more willing to drill into my new hood if I knew it would line up EXACTLY!

14. Frogfish

Frogfish BlueDevil

great write up!

15. Springbok

Springbok Huge Member

I actually tried that with my Uncle's HD, but I didn't have a sheet of paper big enough, so I tried taping some pieces of 8.5x11 printer paper together...poorly, but I wasn't comfortable enough with it to use it as a drill template.

The main area of measurement that needs to be correct is the vertical distance of the bottom of the oval holes to the bottom front edge of the hood. If the horizontal distances of the holes are a little off from side to side it's no big deal (the side edges of the holes are not crucial to holding the molding in place).

I think I can provide the vertical distances pretty easily (I have them scribbled on a piece of paper around here somewhere). If you look close at the holes in the front of the hood, they're a little bit staggered: one hole is 1/2" from the bottom of the hood while the hole next to it is 3/8" and they go back and forth like that across the front. Also, the two holes on the far left and on the far right are angled slightly downward towards the center. But I'll make a visual aid to show you what distances are what.

Like I noted in my first post, I took all of the measurements from the HD hood but they didn't translate exactly over to my 1500 hood probably because of the small variation in front edge shape. By the time I drilled the two middle holes, I could partially insert the molding in place to where it was easy to mark the holes based on the tabs on the back of the molding. I only used my recorded measurements to drill those first 2 or 3 holes in the middle of my hood but after that I just marked out the holes mainly based on where the tabs wanted to go.

16. BOO5TED

BOO5TED Resident Asshole

That looks sooo much better.

17. stuman55

stuman55 GMFS Member

Very nice man. Why don't you come up to ND and drill the holes in my hood for me, I'm too nervous to drill em myself :okay2:

18. Blugranite2k11Cc

Blugranite2k11Cc GMFS Member

you are a brave brave man!

19. OHNINE

OHNINE not low enough

awsome write up. prob sounds stupid but what tool did u use to make your holes? dremel or drill or?

20. Springbok

Springbok Huge Member

Both.
    Also, to mark my holes before drilling I just used a black permanent marker and drew the ovals through an oval stencil I made of the correct hole size. You guys with black trucks like stuman55 will have to figure something else out.